Instant Pot Apple Pie Filling was an incredible treat to make this week. I will share how to make apple pie filling in the Instant Pot! This is a super easy apple pie filling recipe you can make and enjoy it.
Use for apple pie filling for a pie, or consider topping with ice cream or whipped cream for a mid-day snack. It is so easy, gives you all the flavors of fall, and more. Try my cheesecake in a jar recipe that features apple pie filling.
Looking for more fall recipes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Cake
- Apple Pie Cheesecake In A Jar
- Air Fryer Stuffed Apples
Apple Pie Filling
If you have ever tried a homemade apple filling you will know it tastes way different than store-bought canned. It has a fresher and pure taste to it. This recipe gives you that with warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
How Long Do You Cook Instant Pot Apple Pie Filling
You will do 1 minute with a quick release. This will give you a more broken down filling. If you want it to be thicker, then do a 0 minute cook time with a quick release. Both methods work great, and it is all about the texture you prefer.
What Are The Best Apples To Use For Homemade Apple Pie Filling
I love using a variety. I reach for Granny Smith and Honeycrisp apples. This blend gives you more depth and flavor to the filling. You have the sweet from the Honeycrisp and a tang from the Granny Smith, they compliment each other really well.
- Granny Smith Apples | These apples are great for pie making and filling. They will give you a tarter flavor with mild sweetness.
- Jonathon Apples | Another tart apple with a mild sweetness to it. This hardy apple will hold up well as it cooks.
- Honeycrisp | A sweeter apple that is juicy and firm. This is a great one to use alone or blend with other apple varieties.
- Fuji | A very popular variety when it comes to baking pies. A sweet apple that will give you a nice subtle sweetness to your filling.
- Braeburn | Gives you a sweet and tart mixture to your pie. A very well-known apple for making pies that you will truly enjoy.
There are so many other varieties of apples that are great. Just make sure it is a firmer apple that will hold up as it cooks and breaks down.
How Do You Thicken Apple Pie Filling
You will remove 1/2 cup of liquid from the cooked apples, and mix in the cornstarch. Once it is blended, stir it in the rest of the filling and it will begin to thicken. The filling will thicken within a minute or two.
How Long Will Homemade Pie Filling Store In The Fridge
This pie filling will last 3-4 days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container. You will need to use your best judgment in terms of quality and when you feel you need to toss it out if you don’t eat it fast enough.
Can You Freeze Homemade Apple Pie Filling
Yes! You can place in an airtight container or sealable freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to two to three months. Thaw in the fridge the night before you plan to use it. This is a great apple pie filling to freeze for later.
Do The Apples Need To Be Peeled
Yes, the apples need to be peeled for this pie filling. If you don’t you will end up with a really chewy texture that is less than appealing.
Ways To Use Apple Pie Filling
- Make apple pie
- Top homemade waffles or pancakes
- Yogurt Parfaits
- Granola and pie filling
- Eat alone as a dessert with whipped cream or ice cream
- And More
- • 5 cups peeled and sliced apples
- • 1 cup brown sugar
- • ½ teaspoon salt
- • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- • 1 ½ cups water
- • ¼ cup cornstarch
- Add all items but cornstarch into the inner pot of your Instant Pot.
- Close lid and set manual high pressure for 1 minute, with a quick release.
- Remove lid, stir apples.
- Then take out about 1/2 cup of the liquid and add in cornstarch, and stir till disolved.
- Turn pressure cooker to saute, and add the cornstarch slurry and stir until thickened. This should take 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off pot, and then ladle the filling into a quart jar!
If you want a thicker apple, do 0 minute cook time with quick release. If you want apples a bit more broken down then stick to the 1 minute cook time.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 141mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 0g