Serve up these no bake puppy chow balls. A no bake puppy chow truffles that is rolled in powdered sugar. These bite size balls are loaded with sweetness and puppy chow flavor. A fun and easy no bake dessert.
Puppy chow is also called muddy buddies. Depending on where you live the name varies. Either way this puppy chow Chex dessert is gonna be a hit.
This is a fantastic Christmas dessert you can make without turning on the oven. Whether you call this puppy chow or muddy buddies bites, this treat is a hit! Also check out this wreath cake recipe.
More Puppy Chow AKA Muddy Buddies Recipes
Why Make Puppy Chow Bites
- Bite size dessert
- Delicious flavor
- Fun presentation
- Affordable to make
Corn Chex – You can use other kinds of Chex cereal. It will change the flavor a bit.
Peanut butter – We prefer creamy but you can use crunchy if you would like.
Powdered Sugar – Powdered sugar will be used in mix of the peanut butter mixture. Then more for rolling ball in.
Vanilla – The vanilla adds a nice layer of flavor that you will notice if gone.
Chocolate – Depending on how sweet you want you can use milk chocolate or semi sweet chocolate.
- Crush up the cereal to a crumble. I placed cereal in a ziploc bag to crush.
- Make sure to refrigerate or freeze the balls before dipping in chocolate to prevent the balls from melting.
- Use a cookie scoop for even sized puppy chow balls.
- After I scooped I rolled in my hand to create a smooth even ball.
- This dessert makes for a great no bake Christmas dessert. Add on some colored candy melts for a fun twist. Or add in crushed candy cane to make it more of a holiday dessert.
How to Make
Step 1: Start by crushing cereal into a fine crumble. You can place cereal in a bag and crush with rolling pin.
Step 2: Add crushed cereal to bowl and add peanut butter, part of powdered sugar, and vanilla. Mix well.
Step 3: Now with a cookie scoop shape into even balls and place on parchment or wax paper.
Step 4: Toss balls in the freezer for 1 hour to set up. You want them to be firm, so they don’t melt in chocolate.
Step 6: Melt chocolate in the microwave stirring often until melted. If chocolate is too thick, add a little oil to thin it up.
Step 7: Dip each ball in chocolate and shake off excess. Place the chocolate puppy chow truffles on wax or parchment paper.
Step 8: Lastly, roll each ball in powdered sugar, and place on tray to finish setting up.
Serve and enjoy this puppy chow recipe anytime you want.
Your puppy chow truffle balls can be stored in the fridge or at room temperature on the counter. It is a personal preference on how you want to store them.
Freezing the balls is an option as well. Just place it in a container or sealed bag. Freeze for 3-5 months. Thaw and enjoy!
Here are a few changes to this no bake dessert! This puppy chow balls recipe is crazy simple and so delicious. I guarantee you can’t eat just one!
- Use milk chocolate instead of semi sweet.
- Opt for white chocolate.
- Use crunchy peanut butter in replace of creamy.
- Swap rice Chex with a different variety; corn would be good!
Frequently Asked Questions
No Bake Puppy Chow Balls
- 3 cups Rice Chex crushed
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 1/4 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- First off you want to measure out 3 cups of cereal. Then place in a sealed bag and crush it to a fine crumble. It is okay to have some small pieces it adds a crunchy texture.
- Add the cereal, 1 cup peanut butter, vanilla and the 1/4 cup powdered sugar in a bowl. Mix until combined.
- Then use a cookie scoop and then scoop and roll your bites into a ball. I was able to make 20 balls. I used a tablespoon or 1 1/2 tablespoon size scoop. Not sure the exact size.
- Once all your balls are shaped, place in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour. You want the balls to freeze hard.
- Once puppy chow balls are hardened, melt your chocolate chips in the microwave. When the chips are fully melted move on.
- Dip each ball in the chocolate and shake off the excess chocolate.
- Place on a parchment or wax paper lined tray or counter.
- Allow the chocolate to harden a bit then roll in powdered sugar, and enjoy!
- Store the no bake puppy chow balls in an airtight container on the counter.