Lava cake is a melt-in-your-mouth molten lava cake that is going to blow you away. 6 ingredients are all you need for this chocolate lava cake recipe. As you slice into this cake, warm chocolate oozes from the center.
Molten chocolate cake is such a popular dessert at so many restaurants. Now you can make homemade molten cakes at home for you and your family.
These chocolate molten lava cakes are so easy to make and boy are they decadent. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some berries, and enjoy.
Or if you want give my lemon lava cakes a try as well, for a citrus-inspired molten cake.
Why You Will Love This Lava Cake…
- Chocolate lovers dessert
- 6 simple ingredients
- Ready in 25 minutes
- Bake in the oven or make into an Instant Pot dessert
- Store leftovers for a treat another night
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- Powdered Sugar
- Cocoa for dusting ramekins (optional)
How to Make
Full directions and measurements for this recipe are in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Preheat the oven and spray your 6-ounce ramekins with cooking spray. Then dust with cocoa powder and shake out excess.
Step 2: Now you will chop your semi sweet chocolate and place in a microwave safe bowl and heat your chocolate and butter until melted.
Step 3: Now whisk your flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a bowl. Then add in the eggs and egg yolks. You will have a thick batter.
Step 4: Next, stir in the chocolate to the mixture, and then pour into the ramekins and bake for 12-14 minutes. Or until they are baked.
Step 5: Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes. Then carefully place a plate on top of the lava cake and flip it so the lava cake is now upside down. Carefully lift up the plate to remove the cake.
Step 6: Dust the volcano cakes with powdered sugar, a scoop of ice cream, hot fudge, etc. Serve immediately.
Molten cakes are best when served warm straight from the oven. But, if you don’t eat them all right away, store the lava cakes in the fridge for 3-4 days.
How to reheat lava cake – To warm up you will place the ramekin back in the oven and cook for 5-10 minutes or until warm.
Freezing lava cakes – Place the cakes in the freezer in the proper container. Freeze for 3 months. When you want to eat one, thaw completely in the fridge, then reheat in the microwave or oven till warmed through.
Don’t over-reheat or it will bake the center, making the lava disappear.
Expert Tips and Variations
- Make sure to use quality chocolate. The chocolate is the stand-out ingredient, and if your chocolate is not quality your cakes will lack.
- Dusting the ramekins with cocoa powder will help to ensure easy removal once done. That way you don’t break the cake as it comes out.
- Consider adding in some orange zest, raspberry extract, etc. This will add a nice punch of flavor.
- If you use a different size of ramekins know that the baking time will vary. So watch the lava cakes as they bake and pull when they are done.
Helpful questions answered on how to make lava cakes are below.
Craving More Epic Desserts
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate (high quality)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- dash of salt
- Cocoa powder for dusting (optional)
- Toppings of choice
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray your ramekins (6 ounce ramekins) with cooking spray then sprinkle with cocoa powder. Shake out the excess cocoa powder. If doing muffin tin, do the same with 6 muffin spot.
- Take your semi-sweet chocolate and melt in a microwave safe bowl with the unsalted butter. Heat 20 second intervals stirring between each heat cycle.
- Once melted fully, set it aside.
- In a new bowl add in your flour, powdered sugar, salt, and whisk well. Then you will add in the eggs and mix, and then slowly stir in the chocolate.
- Pour the lava cake batter into ramekins or muffin tin. Bake for 12-14 minutes for ramekins or 7-9 minutes for the muffin tin. The top of the cakes will be solid and firm to touch. The center of the cakes will have a little softness to them.
- Allow the cakes to cool for around a minute or two, then use a knife to cut around the ramekins. Then invert your plate and flip it over. Carefully lift up the ramekins and the cake should come out.
- Top with fruit, dust with powdered sugar, ice cream, or whatever you want.
Instant Pot Directions: Mix up the cakes just as you would. Pour 1 cup of water in the Instant Pot. Place trivet in the Instant Pot. Place your ramekins on top of trivet. You can stack the 4th one on top. Then place lid on the pressure cooker, do manual high pressure, for 9 minutes with a quick release of pressure once it is done cooking. Then flip the cakes on a plate upside down and serve.
Quality chocolate is recommended as it is going to be a stand out flavor. Lower quality chocolate will affect the batter.
You can store leftover cakes in the fridge for 2-3 days. To warm up heat at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes or microwave. Reheating can cause the lava to cook up more. But they will still taste delicious.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 527Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 293mgSodium: 119mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 9g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.