Serve up this delicious 4 ingredient lemon puppy chow. It takes just 10 minutes to make and is bursting with lemon citrus flavor in each sweet and crunchy bite. Learn how to make lemon muddy buddies recipe!
Lemon desserts are my favorite. I am a sucker for the refreshing citrus flavor. So, naturally, a lemon-flavored puppy chow just made sense.
Table of contents
If you too are a fan of Chex Mix buddies and love lemon, this lemon Chex Mix is gonna hit the spot.
Why You Will Love This Lemon Puppy Chow Recipe…
- 4 Ingredients
- Easy to Make
- Ready in 10 minutes
- Sweet and Crunchy
- Great snack mix
- Delicious lemon dessert recipe
- Chex Cereal
- Yellow Candy Melts
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make
Full directions and measurements for this recipe are in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Add your powder sugar to a gallon sized bag and set aside.
Step 2: Then in a bowl add your yellow candy melts and melt them in the microwave. Do 20-30 second increments stirring between each heat cycle.
Step 3: Once melted fully, stir in the lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix well. Then coat your Chex cereal in the melted chocolate.
Step 4: Then add the coated Chex into the powdered sugar bag, and shake coating the cereal.
Step 5: Once coated, shake it out on a baking sheet and let it be in an even layer on the baking sheet.
Let the chocolate set up, and then serve and enjoy.
You will want to store your white chocolate puppy chow in an airtight container on the counter at room temperature. The puppy chow can store for up to 1-2 weeks.
After so long the cereal will go stale. We tend to eat it within the first week and never have any issues!
If your home is hotter, then you can refrigerate the puppy chow to prevent the chocolate from melting.
Expert Tips and Variations to Recipe
- You are welcome to use any type of Chex. I like to use rice or corn when making any puppy chow recipe.
- You can use white chocolate chips instead of candy melts, I just loved the yellow color to make it more appealing.
- For more lemon flavor add more lemon zest to the mixture.
- You could swap the lemon with lime and use green candy melts for a lime puppy chow.
Common questions about this puppy chow snack mix.
More Lemon Dessert Recipes
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
- 4 cups Chex Cereal , corn or rice
- 1 cup Yellow Candy Melts
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- Start by adding your powdered sugar into a gallon-size sealable bag. Then set it aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl you will add your candy melts, and microwave for 20-30 second intervals. Stir between each heat cycle until the candy melts are fully melted.
- Add in your fresh lemon juice and lemon zest and stir again, and then mix with the Chex cereal.
- Pour the Chex chocolate coated cereal in with the powdered sugar and shake around coating all the cereal in the powdered sugar.
- Pour the mixture onto a baking sheet and spread it out. Let the Lemon puppy chow rest and set up, it takes around 15-30 minutes for the chocolate to harden.
- Then place the puppy chow in an airtight container and store on the counter until ready to enjoy.
You can use any flavor of Chex you want, I tend to use Rice Chex or Corn Chex the most when I make any puppy chow.
I used 1 large lemon for this recipe, if you have smaller lemons reach for 2-3 for the lemon juice and zest.
Feel free to swap the yellow candy melts with white chocolate chips. Just add in a teaspoon of shortening. This will help the chocolate to set up.
Add in some yellow sprinkles for color or even white chocolate chips for more elements of flavor.
Store in an airtight container on the counter for 1-2 weeks. If your home is hot you can refrigerate to prevent the chocolate from melting.
This puppy chow can be frozen. Just place in a proper freezer-approved container or freezer bag and freeze for 3-4 months. Then take some out and thaw on the counter for 30 minutes or so and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 83mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 1g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.