These Instant Pot Spare Ribs are one of our favorites. Fall off the bone tender bbq ribs that are bursting with flavor. I use a homemade dry rub to smear over all the rib meat, to marinade for optimal flavor. Instant Pot ribs are your new favorite recipe.
Instant Pot Spare Ribs
Pressure cooker ribs are so popular. With minimal work on your end you can have ribs that are tender, juicy, and full of flavor.
I used my popular dry rub recipe, that you allow to marinade the pork to help add more flavor to the ribs.
What Are Spare Ribs
Spare ribs are one of the cuts of popular pork ribs. You will hear spare ribs, St. Louis Style Ribs, or baby back ribs are the most popular.
Spare ribs are a larger piece of meat. It is cut off the rib on the belly side. Pork spare ribs will have a slab of tender pork meat along with the bone area.
It does have a flap of meat on the backside that you slice off as it will overcook.
Will This Recipe Work With Baby Back Ribs
You can use this exact recipe with baby back ribs, you just adjust the cooking time. Spare ribs take a bit longer to cook than baby back ribs in the pressure cooker.
Pair these ribs with zucchini cornbread, it is a dynamite duo.
How To Make Spare Ribs in Instant Pot
Step 1: Start by working on your dry rub, and then set it aside. You will use this on your rack of ribs.
Step 2: Now trim and prep your pork. You can see how I prepped in the video. I worked on trimming fat, and pulled the silver skin off (remove the membrane) the back of the ribs.
Step 3: Rub your dry rub on both sides of the ribs, and then wrap and allow to marinade for an hour in the fridge.
Step 4: Pour your water, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke in Instant Pot. Then add in your trivet, place ribs, and pressure cook!
Step 5: Once ribs are done remove, baste with bbq sauce, and then air fry or broil your bbq ribs!
Step 6: Slice and serve up these sticky barbecue ribs. Instant Pot pork ribs are a game changer!
What to Serve With Pork Ribs
What To Use for Dry Rub Ribs
- brown sugar
- kosher salt
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- chili powder
- dry mustard
- smoked paprika
This pork dry rub is great for these ribs or even a rib roast that you smoke. Then you use apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke and water in the Instant Pot.
You can tenderize the meat with the apple cider vinegar, and the liquid smoke helps to add a bit more flavoring to the ribs.
They are not as good as smoked ribs, but they are pretty close.
Storing Leftover Ribs
Store your leftover ribs in the fridge for a few days. Then when you are wanting to eat, eat cold or place in the microwave to reheat.
If you want you can also cover in aluminum foil and then wrap tight and reheat in the oven! Heat till it is warm.
Pork Dry Rub
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3-5 drops of liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1 Rack of Spare ribs (can do up to 2)
- Start by making your dry up. In a bowl add your brown sugar, pepper, salt, smoked paprika, chili powder, dry mustard, onion powder, garlic powder. Mix and set aside.
- Now you will prep your spare ribs. Remove excess fat, cut off the membrane on the backside of ribs, and cut off the excess flap on ribs on back as well.
- Once ribs are prepped you will use part of the rub on one side and then flip and massage the other part of rib rub on the other side of ribs. Wrap and then marinate in the fridge for up to an hour.
- When ready to cook place the metal trivet in the Instant Pot, add in 1 1/2 cup water, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, and 3-5 drops of liquid smoke.
- Put your ribs in meat facing out, so the bones will face inward. Try to set them up on the metal rack. Mine spare ribs were a bit too big so I did have to push them in the water a bit.
- Place Instant Pot lid on in sealing position making sure the valve is closed.
- Pressure cook 35 minutes with a natural release of 15 minutes.
- Remove ribs from the pressure cooker, and place on air fryer rack in duo crisp or a pan to broil in the oven.
- Baste ribs with barbecue sauce, and then air fry to make sauce sticky or toss in the oven on broil. This takes just a couple of minutes to do.
- Remove, slice, and serve these Instant Pot bbq pork ribs. I sprinkled mine with parsley and served.
If you are cooking baby back ribs - pressure cook for 5 minutes with a 15-minute natural release.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 728mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 8g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.