Instant Pot Rice Pilaf is one of my go-to recipes. This pressure cooker rice pilaf is so easy to make, and just requires 5 ingredients! Tender, fluffy, and packed full of flavor.
Instant Pot Rice Pilaf
I paired my Instant Pot pilaf with shrimp the night I made it. That way it was a crazy simple night of cooking for me.
Why Use An Instant Pot To Cook Rice?
Rice cooked that is pressure-cooked has the best texture and flavor. As it pressure cooks it infuses all the flavors into the Calrose rice. Giving this pilaf insane flavor.
What to Serve with Rice Pilaf Instant Pot Recipe
- Grilled BBQ Peach Chicken
- Bruschetta Chicken
- Lobster Rolls
- Longhorn Steakhouse Steak
- Rotisserie Pork Loin
Which Rice is Best for Pilaf?
So I used Calrose rice for my pilaf. But you are welcome to reach for long and slender rice. You can use long-grain white rice, Basmati, or even a Jasmine rice if you want.
Just know that with the change of any rice it will alter the flavor of your overall rice recipe.
Ingredients for Rice Pilaf
- Unsalted Butter
- Calrose Rice (or swap for what you have)
- Chicken Stock
I cooked my shrimp separate and then topped my rice pilaf with it. I cooked my shrimp on the saute feature once my rice was all cooked.
How to Make Instant Pot Rice Pilaf
Step 1: Add your butter into the Instant Pot on the saute mode. Add in your shallots once the butter has melted.
Stir continuously and cook for 2-3 minutes or until they become fragrant.
Step 2: Now add in your diced carrots, rice, broth, and give a good stir. Place Instant Pot lid on and do high pressure for 5 minutes.
Followed by a natural release of 5 minutes, and then quick release any excess pressure off your rice pilaf pressure cooker dish.
Step 3: Toss your pilaf well and then garnish with parsley if you would like!
How To Cook Shrimp With Rice Pilaf
If you want to cook the shrimp after you remove all your rice pilaf, you can turn the saute feature back on, with a little butter, and toss in your shrimp and saute.
Boost Flavor With Spices And Vegetables
Consider this recipe a base. Feel free to add in different spices, finely diced vegetables to add different elements of flavor to the pilaf.
I cleaned out my produce drawer when I made this version. You can add tons of different flavors to totally transform the recipe.
- Add in minced garlic
- Coriander, Cumin or even a Curry Powder
- Chopped peppers
- Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, etc
- Cajun Spice
You want to perfume the rice, not overpower it with flavor. But if you want to add a lot of flavors you sure can. Those are some ideas on how to transform the flavor a bit.
- Slivered Almonds
- Diced Pistachios
- Smoked Paprika
I did parsley and that was it, but if you want some crunch add in some nuts or paprika for a nice bright color.
Instant Pot Rice Pilaf
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 shallots roughly chopped
- 2 small carrots minced
- 2 cups of medium Calrose rice or substitute other rice
- 2 ½ cups of chicken broth
- Turn your Instant Pot to saute and add in your butter and let it melt. Then stir in your thinly sliced shallots. Make sure to stir continously or it will burn.
- Once your shallots are fragrant you will add in your rice, carrots, and chicken broth. Turn off the saute feature.
- Place your lid on your Instant Pot and select high pressure for 5 minutes. Make sure your Instant Pot is set to sealing.
- Then once your timer goes off allow it to natural release for 5 minutes. Then follow a quick release to push off the rest of the pressure.
- Stir well and then garnish with parsley.
- Serve up your rice pilaf and enjoy.