Learn how to make Instant Pot Cuban Black Beans! An easy no soak instant pot black beans recipe loaded with spices and rich flavor.
Cuban black beans make a satisfying side dish, pair with rice, or as a main dish with a side of cornbread.
Instant Pot Cuban Black Beans
This Cuban black bean recipe is a vegetarian bean recipe if you reach for vegetable stock. High protein, fiber and absolutely divine.
Diced onions, bell peppers, minced garlic, cumin, red white wine vinegar and more. Tons of flavor in every spoonful.
Dump and Start Bean Recipe
This is a dump and start bean recipe for your Instant Pot. Once you get your ingredients prepped, dump in, hot sauté and soften up veggies.
Then toss in the rest of the ingredients and follow the printable recipe card below. Before you know it you have the pot going off and it’s time to ring that dinner bell.
A fantastic dry bean Instant Pot recipe that makes dinner time so much easier.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Black Beans In Pressure Cooker
I found that 35 minutes cook on high pressure with a 20-minute natural release worked great! You have a great bean texture, and there isn’t a ton of excess liquid.
Using Older Beans Leads To Longer Cook Time
The hardest thing with cooking with dry beans is running into older beans. You will find if your beans are old, they will end up requiring a longer cook time to soften them up.
If you know your beans have been sitting in your pantry for a while or nearing expiration, expect you might need to add more cook time.
You can try cooking at this pressure cooker time and if you find they are still hard, place pressure cooker lid back on and add 10-20 more minutes on.
Can I Add A Ham Hock To Recipe
Of course. If you want to add in more flavor you can toss in a ham steak or even dice up ham. I have used a ham bone to flavor beans before and it always adds tons of flavor.
So if you have a holiday ham, make sure to freeze that ham bone and use it for this recipe later on.
New To The Instant Pot?
How To Thicken Black Beans
If you want to thicken your beans, this is very easy to do. Just remove around a cup of beans and mash them up with a fork.
Then return to pot and stir, this will help to thicken your mixture. You are welcome to repeat until you reach your desired texture.
Or you can turn your Instant Pot to saute, make sure to remove bay leaves, and then saute for 5 minutes or so to rid of some of the liquid.
How To Serve Cuban Beans
- Over a bed of white rice
- Pair with Yellow Rice
- Stuff in Tacos, Burritos, Carnitas, etc
- Eat as a main dish paired with cornbread
Can You Freeze Cuban Black Beans
These Cuban black beans do freeze well. Simply allow your pressure cooker black beans to cool. Then transfer beans into your freezer container or sealable freezer bag.
Place in the freezer for up to three months. If you plan to eat I recommend thawing in the fridge overnight. That way your beans can slowly warm-up and will hold texture better.
Craving More Bean Recipes
Instant Pot Cuban Black Beans
- 1 16 ounce package dry black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt to taste (I used 2 teaspoons)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Start by turning your Instant Pot to saute. You will add in your olive oil, along with your peppers and onion. You will cook for 2-3 minutes or until the vegetables become softened.
- Now toss in your minced garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Next you will add in your black beans, chicken stock or vegetable stock, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, bay leaf, and red wine vinegar.
- Place your Instant Pot lid on your pot, and make sure the valve is sealed. Cook high pressure for 35 minutes. Allow for 20 minutes of natural release on pressure once cook time is up.
- Release any extra pressure and remove your Instant Pot lid.
- If you would like you can remove a cup of your beans and mash with a fork and mix back in to make your Cuban beans thicker.
- Serve your Instant Pot Cuban beans with diced onions, tomatoes, jalapeno slices, rice, etc. Top how you would like.