Baked beans with ground beef are my go-to baked bean casserole recipe! Ground beef, pork, and beans dressed to impress with onions, peppers and more. Make these baked beans in the oven for a hearty dinner or side dish!
My dad was the man who always made baked beans at family events. They were a show stopper. I always wanted to make a baked bean that stood out and had people rave. Well, this baked beans with bacon and ground beef is it. This baked bean casserole is rather easy to whip up, and boy is it flavorful!
Baked Beans With Ground Beef
So if you want a hearty dinner to serve your family or a side dish for your next potluck dinner, this bean recipe works for either!
What Type Of Beans Do You Use For Baked Bean Casserole
For this baked bean casserole you will want to use pork and beans. That classic bean that offers a rather bland saucy flavor. You are going to create layers of incredible flavor that will make these beans taste incredible. Trust me!
Can I Leave the Beef Out Of The Baked Bean Casserole Recipe
Absolutely! If I am making this as a side dish sometimes I leave the beef out. Just make the recipe accordingly and top with bacon and cook accordingly. Or if you want you can even skip the bacon on top if you prefer. The meat, of course, adds flavor but is not a have to on either ground beef or bacon.
What Type of Peppers Do You Use For Baked Beans with Ground Beef
I love using the mini sweet peppers that you can buy in the bags at the grocery store. Just chop up 6-7 mini peppers and toss it in. I have found this adds incredible flavor to these beans. If you don’t have those type of peppers, you can for sure reach for a green bell pepper or any other color of pepper.
I actually used to make it with a bell pepper but fell in love with those mini peppers so I use those nowadays.
Is This Baked Bean Recipe Sweet
It offers a slightly sweet flavor due to the brown sugar and sweet peppers in the recipe. The brown sugar adds a nice touch, but I use a lesser amount than other recipes I have seen, cause I don’t love a sweet baked bean. If you want it sweeter add 1/2 cup of brown sugar total to the recipe.
My Slow Cooker Cowboy Beans are a sweeter bean recipe, that you might enjoy if you like a sweeter bean mixture.
Can I Make This Baked Bean Casserole In The Slow Cooker
You can make this casserole in the slow cooker. Prep the dish as directed below in the recipe card. Instead, pour into a larger slow cooker. Now, if you don’t have a large slow cooker, then 1/2 the recipe or it will not fit. Then for the bacon portion, cut it up and then cook it in a skillet, until it is done. Then top the beans, cover and cook for 3-4 hours. Stir at that time, and then enjoy. Making in the crockpot can free up your oven and give you a hands-off approach.
Can I 1/2 This Baked Beans Recipe
Yes! If you are not going to serve a handful of people, therefore you can 1/2 all the ingredients. Or if you plan to serve a ton, double the recipe and cook in multiple pans. Such a version and easy bean recipe.
What To Serve With Baked Beans with Bacon
- Dinner Rolls | My cloverleaf rolls are incredible for soaking up all the sauce from these beans! Such comfort food for sure.
- Chopped Salad | Lighten up your meal with this chopped salad. It will pair nicely with the beans!
- Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread | Cornbread is another fantastic side to consider. Whip up your favorite recipe and pair next to your dish. This is a cheesy jalapeno cornbread recipe!
- 4 cans of pork and beans (15 oz cans)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 6 pieces of bacon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 Onion diced
- 6-7 mini sweet peppers or 1 bell pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dice up the pepper and onions and then mix it in with the ground beef and cook until the beef is done.
- Once the beef is done add all the ingredients BUT the bacon in and stir really well.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish or another large pan. Then top the casserole with chopped raw bacon.
- Bake for 1 and a half hours to 2 hours. You want to ensure the bacon is fully cooked.
Best Way To Reheat Baked Beans
You can easily warm this dish up in the microwave, or opt to reheat in the oven. If you do heat in the oven make sure to cover the pan with aluminum foil. Doing this you will find it will help your beans from overcooking and drying out.
Can You Freeze Baked Bean Casserole
I can’t fully vouch for this. I have not tried to freeze this baked bean casserole but I think you could. I would suggest freezing a small container and see how it holds up. You will want it to be an airtight freezer-friendly container. Store for up to three months in the freezer.
Searching for more easy dinner ideas
- Beer Can Cornish Hens | Whip up some cornish hens with this buffalo beer can chicken recipe. Savory, simple to make, and minimal ingredients required.
- Baked Western Omelette | Here is a great way to get an omelette with ease. I love making this for dinner for a fun twist to our meal plan.
- Slow Cooker Pepper Steak | Here is a super easy slow cooker recipe. Serve over a bed of rice, mashed potatoes, or cauliflower rice for a low carb take.
I love creating meals that are easy, delicious, and something you and your family can enjoy. Give these recipes a try!