Instant Pot Pulled Chicken – an easy and quick dinner recipe you can throw together in no time. Serve over a bed of rice, on buns, or pair with your favorite veggies. This pulled chicken recipe is one of my go-to’s for nights I need an easy dinner idea. BBQ pulled chicken is a must try.
Even if you own a Ninja Foodi, you too can make this pressure cooker pulled chicken. Just use the pressure cooker lid. A variety of spices, bbq sauce, chicken breast, all cooked perfectly, juicy, and kid-approved.
This is a simple pulled chicken Instant Pot dish that you can even meal prep with if you want. It stores well and is versatile in how you can serve it up.
This Pulled Chicken Recipe Is
- Great for bulk cooking chicken
- Easy Prep
- Filled with a mix of spices for rich flavor
- Tangy and savory bbq chicken breast
- Great to pile on a bun, serve with rice, or sauted veggies
- Hands off cooking
- One Pot Dinner
Ingredients You Will Need
Chicken – Any boneless chicken works. I did chicken breasts here but you are more than welcome to do chicken thighs, or half thighs have breasts or tenderloins.
Spices – Chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
Mustard – You can use a spicy mustard or even a classic yellow mustard.
Apple Cider Vinegar – Adds a great bite to the chicken.
BBQ Sauce – This is optional, but I love the mix of it. We use a Kansas City style, but any you enjoy works.
Worcestershire Sauce – Adds a nice richness to the mixture.
Variations To Recipe
- BBQ Sauce is optional.
- Use any boneless chicken you have, for a juicier outcome, do part dark meat park white meat.
- Change up the seasonings you use, to alter the flavor of your chicken.
- A spicy or ground mustard really adds a nice punch of flavor to the chicken.
How to Make
Step One: Place your chicken in the Instant Pot.
Step Two: In a bowl you will add all your seasonings together, mustard, apple cider vinegar, broth, BBQ sauce, etc. Mix well
Step Three: Next, pour over the chicken. Move the chicken around to make sure the chicken is fully coated.
Step Four: Place the lid on, and make sure the valve is set to sealing. Pressure cook for 20 minutes on the poultry setting, followed by a natural release.
Step Five: Next, open the lid, remove the chicken. Use two forks or meat claws to pull the chicken apart. Place the chicken back into the Instant Pot to soak up the sauce.
Ways to Serve This Chicken
- On a bun with a scoop of coleslaw on top!
- Make a loaded baked potato with this chicken on top.
- Serve over a bed of white or brown rice. Or even cauliflower rice or quinoa.
- Top salads with this chicken.
- Spread over the top of baked beans and macaroni and cheese.
- Slider sandwiches!
- Make nachos with the chicken.
Expert Tips For Cooking Chicken In Instant Pot
- Want a sweeter flavor? add 1-2 tablespoons of brown sugar into the mixture.
- You will keep the cook time the same for any cut of boneless chicken.
- Feel free to remove chicken from the pressure cooker and spread out on a cookie sheet and broil for a couple minutes to crisp up the texture of chicken.
- Natural release the chicken, or it will be tough and not taste well in terms of texture.
Here are some common questions asked about making this BBQ pulled chicken Instant Pot recipe.
Instant Pot Pulled Chicken Recipe
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless chicken
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce optional
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion power
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons spicy mustard or yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place your chicken in the Instant Pot. do a single layer or stack on top of each other if you have a lot.
- In a small bowl add your chicken broth, bbq sauce, all the spices, Worcestershire, cider vinegar, and mustard.
- Mix well and then pour over the chicken in the pressure cooker. Make sure to move chicken around to coat all the chicken in the sauce.
- Place the pressure cooker lid on and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
- Pressure cook on the poultry setting for 20 minutes, with a natural release.
- Once the pressure has been released open the lid, and remove the chicken .Shred the bbq chicken with two forks or meat claws.
- Place the pulled chicken back into the pressure cooker to soak up the sauce.
- Serve this Instant Pot pulled chicken how you would like.