This Instant Pot Pulled Hawaiin BBQ Chicken Recipe is the perfect savory and sweet combination to serve up for a quick weeknight meal. Hawaiin chicken offers savory and sweet, crushed pineapple, brown sugar, soy sauce, bbq sauce, and more. Shred and top your hoagie buns and dive in.
Table of contents
Looking for a tasty chicken recipe to make in your Instant Pot or even slow cooker? This Hawaiian chicken recipe is a home run. Or maybe you don’t want to serve with buns then do a bed of rice, cauli-rice, or eat alone.
Instant Pot Hawaiian chicken is quick to throw together, and kid friendly. You will enjoy this Hawaiian bbq recipe that is sweet and savory.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Sweet and Savory
- Quick to Make
- Versatile in terms of serving – bun, over rice, etc.
- Kid friendly
- Great to make and use for meal prepping
- Tender flavorful chicken
If you enjoy sweet and savory I think you will enjoy this Hawaiian BBQ chicken.
- Boneless Chicken
- BBQ Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Crushed Pineapple
- Soy Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make BBQ Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches
- Start by turning your Instant Pot on to saute, and season and sear your chicken.
- Add in your pineapple and juice and use a wooden spoon to deglaze pot. Then toss in the remaining ingredients.
- Pressure cook with the valve set to sealing for 12 minutes followed by 10 minutes natural release of pressure.
- Open the Instant Pot, shred the chicken, stir well, and serve.
Full directions and steps are in the recipe card below.
Variations To Recipe
- Use fresh pineapple if you want, and then add in 1/2 cup of pineapple juice to replace the can.
- Leave out the brown sugar, if you don’t want it to be as sweet.
- Chicken tenderloins or boneless thighs can be used instead.
- Consider adding in some red peppers and sliced onions for added flavor.
Just place the leftover Instant Pot pulled chicken in an airtight container and then store it in the fridge for up to three days. Anything after it will need to be tossed out.
In terms of freezing, you can freeze any leftover chicken you have. Store in a freezer bag or airtight freezer container. Store this chicken for up to 2-3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight, then slowly reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
What To Make With Hawaiian BBQ Chicken
- Coleslaw (great for topping your meat on the bun or eating as a side)
- Fresh Vegetable Salad
- Salty Fries or Chips
- Cowboy beans
- Potato Salad
- Rice (to serve over if you don’t want buns)
Instant Pot Pulled Hawaiian Chicken Recipe (Plus Slow Cooker Directions)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 sweet red onion - cut in half and sliced thin
- 1 large can of crushed pineapple including juice
- 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 bottle of Kansas City BBQ sauce
- Seasoned pepper
- Start by turning the Saute setting on your Instant Pot. Add in your chicken breasts, and season with the garlic, salt, pepper, and brown both sides for around 6-7 minutes, or until a golden brown coating.
- Once you are done sauteeing turn off the saute setting. Add in the pineapple and the juice from the can. Use a wooden spoon to deglaze the pan. Then you will add in the onion, brown sugar, bbq sauce, and soy sauce.
- Stir the ingredients and then place the lid on Instant Pot and lock. Seal your valve, and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes, followed by 10 minutes of natural releasing. Once the 10 minutes is up, push off any remaining pressure in the Instant Pot.
- Open the lid, and take the chicken out, and make sure its fully cooked. Shred with two forks, or meat claws, then return the meat back to the Instant Pot.
- Stir the shredded chicken into the Hawaiin bbq sauce, and serve up the dish on bread, over rice, etc.
- You can use boneless chicken thighs, tenderloins, breasts, etc.
- If your sauce is not thick enough once your done cooking then creates a cornstarch slurry. Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch to 3 tablespoons water and stir in.
- If you find the pineapple doesn't have enough pineapple juice you can add in 1/3 cup of water to ensure you have enough liquid for the Instant Pot to come to pressure.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @bakemesomesugar and on Instagram @bakemesomesugar
Comments & Reviews
Thanks for Post!
Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Recipe pulled chicken with sweet pineapple BBQ sauce cooked in pressure cooker. Perfect served as sandwiches!
For some reason I keep getting the burn notice on this dish. I’m not sure why?
Hmm I am sorry. Are you making sure to clean off the bottom of the pot to ensure no food is sticking? You could always try adding extra liquid. I have seen some peoples IP are slightly different in how they cook.
Hello…my instapot does not have a “poultry’ button…only a meat…how long is a poultry setting?
You can cook on high pressure for 10 minutes with a 5 minute natural release.