Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is a delicious Instant Pot side dish! Four cheese macaroni and cheese that I used cheddar, gruyere, gouda, and fontina cheese. In under 30 minutes, you have homemade mac and cheese!
Table of contents
Instant Pot pasta is a homemade macaroni and cheese that is so delicious. Ultra creamy, rich, and perfectly cooked pasta.
If you love cheesy mac and cheese then this mac and cheese Instant Pot recipe is right up your alley.
- Elbow Macaroni
- Salt and Pepper
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Garlic Powder
🧀 How To Make Instant Pot Mac And Cheese
Start by adding your dry pasta, water, salt into the Instant Pot. Place the pressure cooker lid on, making sure the valve is set to sealing position.
Cook for 4 minutes on high pressure/ manual. Once the cook time is done, do a quick release of pressure. The steam will splatter so be careful.
Once the pasta is cooked, add in all your grated cheese, milk, garlic powder, and your nutmeg. Turn to saute mode, and stir until the cheese is fully melted.
Top mac and cheese with additional salt and pepper! You will love this recipe.
Serve immediately. Store any leftover mac and cheese in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
🧄 Tips and Variations To Recipe
- If you don’t want to use 4 different cheese varieties, use just one. Use a total of 3 cups of the same cheese to stir in.
- You can use a different type of pasta if you need. Shells, spiral, etc if you want. This elbow pasta Instant Pot recipe can be swapped for something else.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard to mix in as well.
- You can use chicken broth to cook the pasta instead of water when you pressure cook.
- Shredding cheese off a block is best for Instant Pot mac n cheese. You will get a creamy texture. Where store-bought shredded is stringy.
🥣 Storing and Meal Prep
If you want to make and store your macaroni and cheese go right ahead. Whip it up and then store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To reheat just do the microwave, or opt to heat up on the stove. If you find your pasta soaked in a lot of the cheese add a splash of milk as you mix it up.
🔪 Recipe FAQs
If you want to make this mac and cheese into baked, simply cook your mac and cheese as directed. Then transfer to a greased pan, top with crushed crackers or cornflakes, and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
Meatloaf, chicken, pork, steaks, etc. Essentially anything goes with your macaroni and cheese. Corn, broccoli, are both tasty veggies to pair next to the pasta.
The four cheeses I used for this macaroni and cheese helps to give this macaroni that ultra creamy texture. Also the milk is a great stir in!
It takes only 4 minutes to cook your pasta in the Instant Pot! Then you will turn the pressure cooker to saute to stir in the cheese to make up your cheesy macaroni and cheese.
You can freeze mac and cheese. The biggest thing is to know that the pasta will be a bit softer in texture once it reheats. The cheese can separate a bit, but if you stir well it will re-incorporate.
Freeze your macaroni and cheese for up to three months. Then thaw in the fridge then warm up.
If your macaroni and cheese is dry, just add a tablespoon of milk and stir. If you find it is still dry, repeat until you get the desired texture you would like.
Looking For More Pasta Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken and Vodka Pasta
- Warm Tomato Brie Pasta
- Creamy Shrimp Pasta
- Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounces 1 box elbow macaroni
- 4 cups of water or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sharp cheddar grated
- 1 cup gruyere grated
- ½ cup gouda grated
- ½ cup fontina grated
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- To start you will add your dry pasta into the Instant Pot. Then add in the 1 teaspoon salt and the 4 cups water or broth. Place the pressure cooker lid on, and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
- Do a 4 minute high pressure/manual cook. Followed by a quick release of pressure. Be careful as the steam that is released is very hot.
- Once the pressure is done and the pin drops, open the lid.
- Pour in the milk, all four varieties of cheese, garlic powder and the nutmeg. Turn the instant pot to saute, and stir and cook the mixture until the cheese is fully melted.
- Once the mac and cheese is fully melted and creamy, turn off the saute feature, and serve with salt and pepper!
Give this instant pot macaroni and cheese a try, and let me know how you like it!