Tortellini Pasta Salad is an incredible side dish to whip up. Tender tri-color tortellini stuffed with cheese, a homemade sauce, and tons of crisp veggies in every bite. This cold tortellini salad is totally crave-worthy.
Tortellini Pasta Salad
Here in Kansas, it has been hot! So, easy and simple recipes have been my go-to lately. I cooked up some chicken on the grill and then paired it with this incredible cheesy pasta salad.
It was the perfect complement to the chicken and was loaded with tons of creamy flavor.
What If I Can’t Find Tri-Color Tortellini
Can’t find tri-color tortellini? No problem! Reach for any fresh pasta, I have used the Buitoni 4-cheese pasta and it was insanely good! I prefer fresh over dried pasta, as it to me lacks a bit of flavor.
If you don’t want to buy fresh in a pinch you absolutely can use frozen or dried if you would like.
How To Make Creamy Tortellini Pasta Salad
Step 1: Start by cooking your cheesy tortellini as directed on the package you bought. Depending on what you bought the directions will vary.
Once pasta is done, drain in a colander.
Step 2: In a new bowl you will start to work on the homemade sauce for the cold pasta salad.
Add mayonnaise, Italian dressing, parsley, parmesan cheese, and black pepper in a bowl. Whisk until it is creamy and combined.
Step 3: Now you will work on washing, prepping, and cutting up your cucumbers, onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes.
Step 4: Once your salad is combined and fully mixed, cover, and store in the fridge for 2 hours. This is going to help all the flavors blend.
When ready to serve give a quick toss and then top with added parmesan and parsley if you would like.
Variations To Recipe
- Add in different veggies! Broccoli, celery, black olives, etc.
- Toss in some cooked diced chicken for added protein
- Swap out tortellini for a different type of pasta
This cold pasta salad is crazy simple but also versatile. Swap out ingredients to fit what you think would be the best flavor. I love this recipe as is, but you might find other changes that allow it to hit your tastebuds better.
Can I Make This Salad in Advance For Party or Potluck
Yes! Feel free to make this up to 24 hours in advance. Just keep the fresh pasta salad covered and stored in the fridge.
Right before serving, give a good toss to re-coat the pasta with the homemade creamy sauce. Then dish up and top with more parmesan and parsley if you would like.
This is an awesome summer side dish that I use for weeknight meals and even entertaining guests. You can’t beat a good salad if you ask me.
Interested in More Potluck Recipes
- Grape Jelly Meatballs – Slow Cooker
- Crockpot S’mores Cake
- Rainbow Bean Salad
- Baked Beans with Bacon
- Cheesy Bacon Potato Salad
- Tomato Watermelon Salad
- Copycat Panera Mac and Cheese
Does This Recipe Double Well
Yes, you can double this easy salad recipe. Just use a large enough bowl or container to hold all the pasta salad.
I have done this even where I tripled the recipe to feed a huge crowd for a birthday party. Cheese tortellini is always popular with my family and friend.
- 4 cups Cheese Tortellini
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Italian Dressing
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan Cheese (more for topping)
- 1 tablespoon chopped Parsley, fresh
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Half of a Cucumber, sliced
- Half of a Red Onion, finely chopped
- Half of a Green Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- Half of an Orange or Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- Start by prepping all your vegetables by washing and drying. Then chop up all the veggies as directed. Cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, onion, peppers.
- Start cooking your fresh cheese-filled tortellini pasta as directed on the back of the box or bag you bought. Once done, drain, and run cold water over the pasta to help cool it down.
- Now in a bowl, you will mix your mayonnaise, Italian dressing, parmesan, and pepper together. Whisk until nice and creamy.
- Toss your cooled off pasta, fresh diced vegetables, and homemade sauce in a bowl. Give a toss until combined.
- Store your pasta salad in the fridge for up to 2 hours before serving. This is going to help blend flavors.
- Then when you tortellini pasta salad is done refrigerating, pull out, and serve.
- You can top with additional parmesan and parsley if you would like.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 312mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.