If you are looking for a chicken leg crock pot recipe, you have to try this bbq chicken legs! A no-effort dinner that takes literally minutes to throw in the crock pot. A three-ingredient slow cooker chicken legs.
Three ingredients are all it takes to make this tender and juicy chicken. Plus this is a budget-friendly dinner the whole family can enjoy.
Craving more easy dinners for the whole family? If so, here are a few more kid-approved meals. Try this easy grinder sandwich, slow cooker pulled pork, and these simple sheet pan nachos are another great one.
What is BBQ Crock Pot Chicken?
Barbecue chicken is a chicken leg that is smothered in bbq sauce and some chicken seasoning and water. Place the lid on and slow cook through the day to come home for a satisfying dinner. Pair with some corn on the cob, coleslaw, or your favorite side dishes.
Ingredients Needed For This Recipe…
- Chicken Legs – Now you can use other types of chicken for this recipe if you want. I do prefer bone-in as it is going to keep the chicken juicy.
- BBQ Sauce – Go right ahead and pick your favorite barbecue sauce for this recipe. I like a smokey hint of sweetness to my sauce.
- Water – You do need to add a bit of water to the dish. It is going to help keep the moisture in the slow cooker so it won’t dry out your chicken.
- Chicken Poultry Seasoning – So I used a chicken seasoning but you can easily use a season salt or a few of your favorite seasonings to flavor your chicken.
How to Make
Grab your favorite slow cooker and let me show you how easy it is to make this slow cooker chicken leg recipe. Now full steps and measurements are at the bottom of the past in a printable recipe card.
- In the Crock Pot place the chicken in an even layer in the crock.
- Sprinkle with the seasoning over the chicken. Use tongs to flip the chicken over and coat all sides.
- Pour the bbq sauce over the chicken legs, and spread it over.
- Pour in the water at the bottom of the crockpot.
- Place the lid on low and cook for 5-6 hours or 2-3 hours on high.
- Once the chicken is done, remove it and serve.
Variations and Tips
- Use any type of seasoning to flavor your chicken. Even bbq seasoning would be great. Evenly coat the chicken.
- Adding the water in is a must as it keeps the chicken moist.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken reads 165 degrees internally. Make sure to not touch the bone of the chicken as it will give a higher reading than what the chicken is.
- Feel free to chicken thighs or other cuts of chicken. Just know if there is skin you can either remove it or sear it in a skillet to prevent it from being rubbery.
- You can always spread a little extra sauce on the chicken right before serving. If you want it to be sticky then place it in a single layer on a baking sheet and place it in the oven on broil. This will only take a minute or two to make the sauce sticky.
- Add a splash of apple cider vinegar to give the chicken a bit more of a tangy flavor.
Refrigerate – You will want to refrigerate any of the leftover chicken legs in a sealed container in the fridge. The chicken will store for 2-3 days.
Freezer – Now for freezing you can place it in a freezer bag or freezer container. Freeze for 3-5 months. Then thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat when ready. Then reheat as you wish.
Sides To Pair With BBQ Chicken Legs
Not sure what to pair with your chicken legs? If so, check out one or more of these easy and satisfying side dish recipes.
The juice will run clear, and you will find the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Yes, chicken is a protein that needs to rest before you serve it. If you cut into the chicken before it rests for 5-10 minutes it can dry out the chicken. So let it sit on a tray that is covered with foil to keep it warm.
You will find that drumsticks take longer as there is a bone and a higher fat content. Just make sure that you ensure your chicken is fully cooked.
Here are even more chicken recipes for you to try out for easy dinner ideas for you and your family to devour.
- Instant Pot Chicken (pulled chicken)
- Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
- Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Chicken
- Whole Crockpot Chicken
Have you tried the recipe? If so, please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below or drop a comment. Also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, or My Facebook Group
Crock Pot Chicken Legs
- 3-4 lbs chicken legs
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce of choice
- 2-3 Tablespoons Rotisserie seasoning or BBQ seasoning of choice
- 1/2 cup water
- Add your chicken into the crock pot in even layers. You can stack if you need.
- Next take your seasoning and sprinkle on both sides of the chicken making sure it is fully coated.
- Then you will add in the bbq sauce coating all the chicken.
- Pour the water to the side so it sinks to the bottom of the crock pot.
- Set on low for 5-6 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked. Or high 2-3 hours.
- Crock Pot
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @bakemesomesugar and on Instagram @bakemesomesugar
Leave A Reply!