My crockpot hashbrown casserole makes the perfect side dish for any and every occasion. Shredded hashbrowns, cheddar cheese soup, sour cream, and more cheese are what is needed for this crockpot side dish. These cheesy hashbrown potatoes are a family favorite that we love to pair next to the main dish. It is always served a lot at holiday dinners in our family.
Whether it is a simple dinner side or a potluck, these slow-cooker cheesy hashbrowns will be a hit. Best of all you use bagged frozen hash browns so the prep work is minimal for this cheesy potato dish. Give this cheesy potato casserole a try, and enjoy the rich cheesy flavors. This is a similar recipe to the Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole.
If you are a spud lover I have a few more easy potato recipes you might enjoy. Make sure to try out these cheesy twice-baked potatoes, gouda mashed potatoes, or even my Instant Pot scalloped potatoes and ham.
Why We Love These Cheesy Potatoes
- Made in the crock pot for easy prep and hands-off cooking.
- Uses frozen hash browns but can also use cubed hash browns if you wanted.
- Easy side dish for holiday meals or weeknight side dish. This cheesy hashbrown potato casserole can be served all year round.
- Similar to funeral potatoes casserole. Some put corn flakes on top for a crunch to the potatoes, and you could do that with this cheesy casserole for a twist.
- Cheesy goodness in every bite! So any cheese lover will love this comforting side dish recipe.
- Simple ingredients you can find on hand in your fridge and freezer or at your local grocery store.
Here is what you will need for these crock-pot cheesy hashbrowns!
- Frozen Hashbrowns – Now I use the shredded but you could also use the cubed frozen hashbrowns. You will find fresh potatoes will turn brown really easily and can become too mushy when slow-cooked.
- Cheddar Cheese Soup – This is a condensed soup, that adds even more cheesy flavor to this side dish.
- Sour Cream – The sour cream adds a nice tangy component to the casserole.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – You can use sharp, a blend of cheese varieties, pepper jack, Colby jack, etc.
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder – The only seasonings I used to help flavor the dish a bit. Adding a little seasoning is the best way to add a pop of flavor to the cheesy dish.
How to Make
Full directions for this crockpot cheesy potatoes are in the printable recipe card. This amazing dish is so easy, just scroll to the bottom of the post to print the full printable recipe card.
- Add the hash browns into the crockpot, spreading into an even layer.
- Next add all the other ingredients into a medium size bowl. You will find it is a creamy sauce that is well mixed.
- Pour the mixture over the hashbrowns and mix to combine the cheesy hashbrown casserole. Mix well to incorporate the cheese sauce with the hashbrowns in the casserole.
- Place the lid on and cook as directed. Once done top with more black pepper and salt and extra cheese if you want.Then dish up the shredded hash browns and top with some green onions and devour.
Variations And Substitutes
- Add 1/3 cup diced yellow onion.
- Swap sour cream with plain Greek yogurt.
- Mozzarella cheese, Monterey jack, Colby jack, or any shredded cheese.
- Use cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup in replace of cheese soup.
- Add in some dice ham to make this more of a perfect breakfast casserole.
- Cook up some ground beef and mix it into the casserole to make it a main dish.
- Mix in a can of green chilies.
- Add 1/4 cup milk to make this a creamy cheese sauce that is thinner. You can also use heavy cream.
- Add an extra half cup of cheese on top and let it melt on top of the casserole dish.
- Add 1/4 cup melted butter for a richer dish.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of cream cheese during the last 30 minutes of cooking the crockpot hash brown casserole.
- Dice up half a red bell pepper and mix in with the potatoes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon onion powder.
- Toast some potato chips or even breadcrumbs with a little butter in the oven and sprinkle over the top of the casserole for a crunchy topping to the cheesy hashbrown casserole recipe.
Refrigerate – You will refrigerate any leftovers you don’t eat right away. Place in an airtight container and store for 3-5 days in the fridge.
Reheating – You are welcome to place it on a microwave-safe plate and heat it until the casserole is fully warmed. Just place in a covered dish or use foil and then bake at 350 degrees until warmed through.
Freezing – You can also freeze any of the potatoes. Store leftovers in a freezer-friendly container for 2-3 months. Then when you are ready, thaw in the fridge overnight. Then warm up in the microwave or in the oven.
What to Serve With Hashbrown Casserole
You will want to open the lid and stir to ensure all the ingredients incorporate properly. As the hash browns thaw it will be easier to mix the sauce with the hash browns. You want to ensure the ingredients get well mixed.
Pour the hash brown casserole into a greased 9×13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, and then check on the casserole. You want it to cook all the way through.
Yes, you can use frozen hashbrowns as that is going to be the best texture. You can thaw the hashbrowns ahead of time or toss them in frozen.
Feel free to adapt this easy cheesy hashbrown casserole to your liking. Cooked bacon, sauteed onions, peppers, or even mix in green beans or some corn. The options for this recipe are endless.
You can use reduced-fat cheese, low-fat sour cream, or plain Greek yogurt, and reach for a healthier version of the condensed soup.
More Crockpot Recipes
Have you tried the recipe? If so, please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below or drop a comment. Also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, or My Facebook Group
Crockpot Hashbrown Casserole
- 32 ounces frozen shredded hashbrowns
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 10 ounce can of cheddar cheese soup
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pour your hashbrowns into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a bowl add the sour cream, soup, shredded cheese and spices. Mix well.
- Stir in the mixture to the hashbrowns. Then cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Remove lid and stir well at the 1 hour mark. Then cover again and cook another 2-3 hours.
- Once done serve and enjoy.
- Spatula or Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cup