Whip up this crockpot whole chicken for a no-fuss dinner. This BBQ whole chicken recipe is loaded with flavor, and you can slice and serve, or shred up and pile on a bun. Either way, your family will love the chicken paired with all your favorite side dishes.
If you have never tried slow cooker whole chicken, you need to. It is a great way to roast chicken but with a hands-off approach. A crockpot rotisserie chicken that is affordable, easy, and essentially can season any way you want!
Why Everyone Loves This Crockpot Recipe
Easy Dinner Option – This chicken dinner recipe is crazy simple. Just do the prep, and walk away. No crazy ingredients, and you can season it however you want.
Set It And Forget It – Prep first thing and then let the whole chicken cook through the day, without having to mess with it. Then when dinner rolls around, pair with any sides and plate and serve.
Season As You Want – Whether you do a dry rub or baste like I did, you can flavor your chicken as you would like. I will share how to adjust the recipe in the printable recipe card.
Meal Prep Recipe – Cook up the slow cooker roast chicken and then use the meat to prep quick lunches, freeze for later, etc.
Chicken – I used a 3 pound whole chicken. You can do larger if it fits in your crockpot.
Spices – Garlic, Onion, Chipotle Powder, Paprika, Salt and Pepper
Brown Sugar – You can use regular brown sugar or Monkfruit brown sugar to make low-carb.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Soy Sauce – Or use Coconut Aminos
Substitutes To Recipe
- Dry Rub Chicken – Place aluminum foil in the bottom of the slow cooker. Then place your chicken on top. And then rub with any of your favorite dry spice rubs. Then cook until chicken is fully cooked, it will take the same amount of time.
- Broil your chicken for 5 minutes or so on a cookie sheet once you remove from the crockpot. This will crisp up the skin nicely. Then allow chicken to rest 10 minutes before slicing into.
- Add veggies to the bottom of the crockpot. Onions, celery, carrots, or even fresh herbs. This will flavor your chicken but also help keep it from standing in liquid as it cooks.
How to Make
Step 1: Add your Worcestershire, brown sugar, spices, tomato paste, water, soy sauce, and apple cider vinegar in your crockpot. Whisk well till fully combined.
Step 2: Create a few foil balls to sit in the bottom of the crockpot. This acts as a rack to sit chicken on. Place your whole chicken in the crockpot. Then with a pastry brush or baster coat the whole outside of the chicken with the mixture.
Step 3: Place the lid on and cook your chicken as directed in the recipe card below.
Step 4: Once done remove and allow the chicken to rest. Then slice and serve as you would like, or use the chicken to meal prep with.
Refrigerate – Your chicken can be refrigerated for around 3-4 days in an airtight container. Reheat and eat as a meal, or use for adding into other recipes.
Freezing – You can freeze any chicken you don’t eat. Place your chicken in an airtight container or vacuum seal and store for 3 months or more. If you vacuum seal it will store for a lot longer.
Meal Prep Ideas
Here are different ways you can use up the chicken to make it taste like a whole new meal!
- Pair the chicken with some Mediterranean Quinoa Salad or even a rice for a quick grab and go meal.
- Use chicken in casseroles, bakes, soups, etc.
- Dice up and use to make a chicken pot pie.
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches or wraps.
- Chicken Quesadillas or use for enchiladas, taco mixes, etc.
- Top salad with chopped chicken.
Here are some pro tips for making this simple whole chicken slow cooker recipe!
- You can lift the skin on the chicken and season under the skin for added flavoring to the chicken.
- Make sure that you allow the chicken to rest 5-10 minutes once you remove from crockpot. This locks in the juices and helps to keep chicken juicy when you slice into it.
- Season the chicken with a dry rub or wet mixture like I did. The options for your seasonings are endless.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken reaches proper internal temperature.
- All chickens will cook differently. Depending on size and the style of crock pot the cook time will vary.
Frequently Asked Questions
More Easy Crockpot Dinner Ideas
- Crockpot BBQ Peach Chicken Thighs
- Homemade Crockpot Hamburger Helper
- 5 Ingredient Crockpot Mississippi Chicken
Crockpot Whole Chicken
- 3-5 pound Whole Chicken depending on size of your crockpot
- 6 ounces Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Tablespoon Coconut Aminos <-- can use soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar Monkfruit <-- can use brown sugar if not making low-carb
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by adding all your water, tomato paste, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire, and spices in your crockpot.
- Mix well. Then roll up some aluminum foil balls and sit your chicken on the balls. This acts as a rack.
- Place chicken in the crockpot and then use a baster or pastry brush and dip in and spread the sauce all over the chicken.
- Place the lid on the crockpot and cook on high 1 hour, then lower to low heat. If you are leaving you can just leave it on low the whole time if you need. Or do high for 3-4 hours instead of dropping to low.
- Once the chicken reaches 165 degrees internally when checked with a meat thermometer, you can remove chicken and broil for about 5 minutes to crisp up the skin in the oven. Or skip broiling.
- Let chicken rest for 10 minutes on the counter then slice and serve up your chicken or store in the fridge for meal prepping, etc.
- This crockpot whole chicken recipe is so easy and delicious. Give it a try today.