My low carb slow cooker Mexican chicken is a healthy dinner to serve up any night of the week. Tender juicy chicken that is paired with taco seasoning, onion, peppers, salsa, and more. Slow cooked Mexican chicken is so easy to throw together.
Serve this southwest chicken over a bed of cauliflower rice, serve on lettuce wraps, or eat it plain in a bowl. A low carb dinner the whole family can enjoy. Top with fresh lime juice, a dollop of sour cream, diced tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and any other taco fixin’s you enjoy.
This Mexican Chicken Recipe Is..
- Dump and Cook Crock Pot Recipe
- Easy Recipe
- Simple Ingredients
- Reheats Well
- Family Friendly Dinner
- Low Carb Chicken Recipe
- Great For Meal Prep
Ingredients You Will Need
Boneless Chicken – Use skinless chicken breasts, thighs, etc.
Peppers – Yellow bell pepper and Jalapeno pepper are what I used, along with a can of green chiles.
Salsa – Any store bought or homemade salsa works.
Taco Seasoning – If you have a favorite homemade taco seasoning go ahead and use that.
Cream Cheese – This adds a nice creamy texture to the chicken.
Toppings – Cheese, black olives, avocados, and more.
Nutrition Tip: Add in 1 cup of pumpkin puree for added nutrition. Or the last hour add in cauliflower rice to help the rice soak in all the flavors of the dish.
How To Make
Full directions for how to make slow cooker Mexican chicken are at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card. This is a visual walk through on how to make the delicious dinner.
Step One: Place your boneless chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker. Try to place in a single layer.
Step Two: Next prep all your vegetables and place in a bowl.
Step Three: Now you will add in the jar of salsa, taco seasoning, and mix well. Then pour the mixture over the chicken.
Step Four: Add dollops of cream cheese on top of the salsa mixture. Cover and cook as directed.
Step Five: Right before serving remove the chicken and break it up, or shred the chicken.
Top with your favorite toppings and a drizzle of lime juice. You can serve over white rice or cilantro lime rice if you are not wanting low carb. Otherwise cauliflower rice is a great low carb option for this easy slow cooker dish the whole family loves.
Make Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken A Freezer Meal
Freezing – Add all the ingredients but the cream cheese and the toppings into a freezer bag. Mix the ingredients around, and then freeze for 3-4 months.
Preparing To Cook – Thaw the chicken mixture in the fridge for 24 hours before you plan to cook. Then place the mixture into the slow cooker and top with cream cheese. Cook as directed until the chicken is cooked through. Add toppings of choice and devour.
If you don’t eat all the chicken, simply place in an airtight container and refrigerate for 2-3 days. Then to reheat warm in the microwave or in a skillet on the stove. You will find this dish reheats great the next day. So it is perfect for meal prepping for the week. This is one of my go-to recipes for lunches.
Substitutes and Variations
- Add in your own spices instead of taco seasoning mix. Chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, are all great options. Any Mexican spices work in flavoring this Mexican cuisine family dinner.
- Top with fresh cilantro for added color.
- If you are not eating low carb consider adding in pinto beans or black beans when you are cooking the dish.
- Any color of bell peppers work for this slow cooker recipe.
- Serve with tortilla chips for dipping in this Mexican food inspired dinner.
- Add in diced sweet potatoes for added nutrients.
- Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
- Chicken Stuffing Casserole
- Penne Alla Vodka Chicken
- Chicken Spaghetti
- Swiss Chicken Bake
Have you tried the recipe? If so, please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below or drop a comment. Also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, or My Facebook Group
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless chicken
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 4 ounce can of green chiles
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 8 ounce cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- toppings (optional) olives, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, etc.
- Start by placing your boneless skinless chicken in the crock pot in a single layer.
- Dice up your vegetables and place in a bowl. Then add in the salsa and taco seasoning. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the raw chicken in the crockpot. Spread it out.
- Cube up the cream cheese and place on top of the veggie mixture. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken once done, and shred or dice up the chicken.
- Pair with cauliflower rice, serve on lettuce wraps, etc. Add your favorite toppings from cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese, black olives, etc.
- To thicken the sauce you can stir in 1 teaspoon xanthan gum and let it sit for 10 minutes to thicken.