Penne Alla Vodka with Chicken is a creamy marinara sauce, with the perfect splash of vodka to add the perfect amount of flavor. Topped with a chicken breast, and ready to serve up for dinner. Give this vodka sauce pasta a try.
Penne Alla Vodka
I can’t take credit for this recipe, it is a variation to The Pioneer Women! She has incredible meals, and I just had to try this recipe.
🍅 Must Have Ingredients For Penna Vodka
Vodka Sauce | This is a homemade sauce you use tomato sauce, vodka, heavy cream and more.
Penne Pasta | Cook your pasta as directed in the direction. You an swap out the pasta to something else if need be. A homemade vodka sauce pasta!
Chicken | Here you have a grilled chicken that you top your penne vodka dinner.
How to Make
Full directions and ingredient is in the list printable below in the recipe card.
Step 1: The first thing to do is to heat your grill or a grill pan to medium-high heat. You will rub your chicken with oil and season.
Grill the chicken for around 3-4 minutes on one side and then flip to the other. You want to cook the chicken until it is fully cooked and reaches 165 degrees internal temperature.
Step 2: You will cook your penne pasta as directed on the back of the box. Once the pasta is done, drain and set aside. Same for the chicken, place to side and slice.
Step 3: Now, in a skillet, you will add in your oil, butter, and allow the butter to melt. Now add in onions and garlic and saute on medium heat.
Now you will carefully add in your vodka (watch for open flames) and bring the mixture to a boil for 2 minutes.
Step 4: Then stir in your crushed tomatoes, seasonings and reduce to low heat.
Toss in your heavy cream stirring well to incorporate.
Step 5: When your mixture is well mixed, stir in the cooked pasta, and top with sliced chicken and garnish with fresh basil and grated parmesan cheese.
Do I Have to Add Chicken
Make this a meatless vodka pasta, and leave off the chicken. This chicken penne pasta is adaptable so make it a main dish or side dish recipe without the chicken.
How to Know When Chicken Is Done
You will know when your chicken is done when it is no longer pink. You can also grab a meat thermometer. Add on some red pepper flakes for added heat to this easy chicken penne pasta recipe.
Looking for More Easy Dinner Ideas
🌯 How to Store Leftovers
If you have leftover pasta, simply pour into an airtight container and store in the fridge. You can do single serve containers to meal prep for lunch or dinners.
Or one big container. Then reheat in the microwave or reheat on the stove. Just cook on low and you might need to add a bit of cream or chicken broth to the cream sauce if it appears to be too thick.
Add just enough to thin it up a little bit.
What to Serve With
What Does The Vodka Do In The Dish
You do not taste the vodka in vodka sauce. That is contrary to what most think. This sauce is incredible because the vodka is the balancer.
The alcohol will burn off as it cooks, and helps to lighten and blend all the flavors so that acidity from the tomatoes pairs incredibly well with the cream.
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
- 4 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 pound dry penne pasta
- 3 cloves garlic, finey minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced finely
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Start by heating up a grill or a pan on the stove. Rub your raw chicken breasts with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Then season with 1/2 the salt and pepper.
- Place your chickne in the skillet cooking for at least 3-5 minutes on one side before flipping. Cook your chicken breasts all the way through. Depending on the thickness will depend on how long it takes. Reach 165 degrees internal temperature.
- Now while the chicken is cooking, boil up water and cook your penne pasta as directed on the back of the box. When done drain, and set aside. Same for chicken when it is done cooking.
- In a large 12-inch skillet you will do medium high heat and add in the rest of the olive oil, and butter. Let the butter melt down.
- Add in your onions and saute for 2-3 minutes, then add in the minced garlic. Carefully pour in the vodka (be cautious if open flames) and bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in your can of crushed tomatoes, and the rest of the salt and peper and pepper flakes.
- Now reduce the heat and gently and slowly stir in your heavy cream. Add the penne cooked pasta and toss in the sauce. Top with the sliced grilled chicken.
- You can now serve up your penne alla vodka with chicken! I did a little freshly grated parmesan and basil on the top of mine. Both are optional.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 466Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 381mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 23g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.