Olive Garden Breadsticks are soft, fluffy and brushed with garlic salt and butter topping that is irresistible. Make up these homemade breadsticks today to pair with any of your favorite main dishes.
Table of contents
How To Make Olive Garden Breadsticks
- Proof your yeast
- Add flour and butter to your yeast mixture and work over the dough.
- Roll out on a floured surface and knead.
- Proof your dough on counter or in Instant Pot using yogurt setting.
- Roll out dough into a log.
- Shape breadsticks and allow it to rise again.
- Butter, and bake.
- Then brush with garlic salt butter and enjoy it!
The full directions to this Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks are in the printable recipe card below.
Proofing Dough In Instant Pot
I love proofing my bread dough in the Instant Pot! If you have an Instant Pot with a yogurt setting you should try proofing your dough. It speeds up the process and is crazy simple.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, just place in a greased pan and cover and allow it to double in size on the counter. Either route will work great.
The pressure cooker method just takes 30 minutes where the counter method takes an hour.
More Instant Pot Bread Recipes
What To Serve Garlic Breadsticks With
Whether you do your favorite pasta recipe or soup, or even a classic salad. These breadsticks are literally melt in your mouth and they will work great with any of your favorite dishes.
Or make these garlic breadsticks as a snack to break up the day. I never say no to a carb-loaded guilty pleasure.
What Yeast To Use
I reached for an active dry yeast. I seem to have great success with active dry, but you are welcome to try other types of yeast if you would like.
Can I Add Cheese To Breadsticks
For sure, you are more than welcome to sprinkle on your favorite cheese. Whether you want parmesan, mozzarella or even pepper jack. Just sprinkle it on once the breadsticks come out of the oven.
Then let them sit a few minutes and allow the cheese to melt. If you want a more golden brown top, sprinkle cheese on the last 3 minutes of cooking so it can crisp up a bit.
Tips For Making Homemade Breadsticks Recipe
- You need to ensure your yeast bubbles up as you let it sit. If it doesn’t bubble it means the yeast is not active, and it won’t work.
- I added flour to the recipe, but you might not use all the flour for the dough. You want it to be soft, and that it won’t stick to your hands.
- If you overmix the dough it will become rubbery and not offer a light and fluffy breadstick.
- Baking your breadsticks will vary. You just want to ensure the breadsticks are fully cooked. You can turn the broil on to brown up your breadsticks if you need.
Can Breadsticks Be Frozen
Absolutely! You can freeze these easy breadsticks for later on. Bake as directed and then allow the bread sticks to fully cool. Then transfer to a freezer container and then store for up to three months in the freezer.
Thaw on the counter or wrap in aluminum foil frozen and then warm up in a 325-degree oven.
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
- 1 1/2 cups warm water, 105 degrees
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3-4 1/4 cup bread flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt with parsley
- First, you want to take your warm water and add in yeast and sugar. Give a quick stir and let it sit 5-10 minutes for the yeast to bubble up and activate.
- Pour the yeast mixture into a bowl. Now slowly add in some of your flour and stir.
- Next pour in melted butter, and then add in more bread flour, along with salt. You may not use all the flour. You want the dough to form a ball and not be gummy or stick when you touch it.
- Roll the dough onto a floured surface and knead the breadstick dough for 3 minutes.
- Now form a ball and allow the dough to rise. I proofed my dough in the Instant Pot on the low yogurt setting, with a glass lid. If you don't have that simply cover in a bowl and let rise on the counter. The Instant Pot takes 30 minutes where the counter method will take an hour.
- Punch down risen dough, and lay out on the floured surface. Shape into a long log.
- Cut into 18-20 pieces, and shape out your breadsticks and lay on a greased baking sheet. I had to use two pans.
- Now cover and let rise another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Then bake your breadsticks for 8-13 minutes or until the breadsticks are done. You can brush the breadsticks with butter before they go in the oven if you would like.
- Now in a bowl take your topping of melted butter and garlic salt with parsley. Mix and brush each breadstick with the mixture.
- Serve these copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks warm paired alone or with your favorite main dish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 391Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 474mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g