Whip up this crock pot chicken and gravy for dinner this week. This crock pot chicken takes just 4 ingredients to make. Toss ingredients in the crockpot, turn it on and walk away till dinner time. A kid friendly dinner that is great served over mashed potatoes, rice, or even noodles.
This is a dinner the whole family can enjoy. Tender chicken, and a savory gravy mixture that smothers the chicken. Also make sure to check out my 5 ingredient chicken and stuffing casserole, these easy chicken wraps, or this Olive Garden chicken and pasta made in the slow cooker.
This Crock Pot Chicken and Gravy Recipe Is…
- Family Favorite
- Serve with white rice, brown rice, egg noodles, mashed potatoes, etc.
- Easy crockpot chicken
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts recipe
- Simple ingredients
- Budget friendly
- Pure comfort food
You just need a handful of ingredients to make this easy crockpot chicken recipe. This is a great recipe for those nights you know you won’t have time to dedicate in the kitchen.
- Chicken – I recommend using skinless and boneless chicken. If you prefer dark meat do boneless chicken thighs. For this recipe I used chicken breasts.
- Cream of Chicken Soup – Now you could swap the cream of chicken with cream of mushroom or celery if you needed.
- Ranch Seasoning Mix – This is the dry ranch seasoning. You will use a packet or you can of course use homemade. 2 tablespoons is what you would use if you use homemade ranch seasoning.
- Chicken Broth – You will use chicken broth or even bone broth for the liquid. This is going to really richen up the gravy.
How To Make
Full directions on how to make crock pot chicken and gravy are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a visual walk through.
Step One: Start by placing your chicken in the crockpot.
Step Two: Sprinkle your dry ranch seasoning over the top of the chicken. Just try to spread it out.
Step Three: Next you will add in the cream of chicken soup and the chicken broth. Lightly mix the ingredients together.
Step Four: Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours and then once the chicken is fully cooked, remove chicken. Shred the chicken and replace it back in the crockpot.
Step Five: Serve up your chicken and gravy over mashed potatoes, rice, egg noodles, or anything you want.
This hearty meal can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. Just store the leftover chicken and gravy in an airtight container. Then reheat in the microwave or even on stovetop in a pan. The gravy will thicken as it cools down, but once it reheats it will thin up a bit and become the same creamy chicken texture as night one.
Helpful Tips For Recipe
- Don’t overcook the chicken or it will dry out a bit. For juicy chicken make sure it is covered in liquid and once it reads 165 degrees F internally the chicken is ready.
- In a small bowl combine ranch, stock, and cream soup if you want then pour over chicken. I don’t mind mixing right in the crockpot to save on cleaning up.
- Use a handheld mixer for juicy shredded chicken. Just place the mixer in at the end and turn on low and it will shred the chicken in minutes.
- For best results serve this warm for the perfect dinner that took minimal effort to make.
What to Serve With Chicken and Gravy
Yes you can put raw chicken in a slow cooker. There is debate if you can put frozen chicken as it takes longer to thaw when being cooked. But raw chicken can be placed in a slow cooker to be cooked safely.
Depending on the thickness of your chicken the cook time will vary. You can expect the chicken to take 4-6 hours on low or 2-3 hours when set on high. All slow cookers heat slightly different so use this as a guide.
Cooking chicken on low especially when boneless and skinless will provide the best results. I find that you will result in a juicy chicken instead of dry chicken. Sometimes high heat can also make the chicken have a rubbery texture.
Crock Pot Chicken and Gravy
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
- 1 10.5 ounce can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 packet dry ranch seasoning (2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Start by placing your chicken in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Next you will sprinkle on the dry ranch seasoning. Then place the cream soup on top, broth, and mix to combine.
- Make sure the chicken is covered in the liquid. Place the lid on the crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high 2-3 hours.
- Once the chicken is fully done, remove the chicken and shred. Then replace the chicken in the crock pot and mix.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, etc.
- Crock Pot