Long John Silver’s Chicken Planks are my favorite chicken planks ever. I wanted to create a Copycat Long John Silver’s Chicken for you to be able to make at home. No deep fryer required, just pan-fry this chicken plank recipe.
CopyCat Long John Silver’s Chicken
Crispy and flavorful Long John’s Silver batter that you can dip chicken or even fish in. Then fry up for a crispy texture that is loaded with flavor and leaves your chicken extra juicy.
Dip fish or chicken in this Long John Silvers batter recipe. Alaskan cod or other fish works just as good as boneless chicken breasts or tenderloins.
How To Make Long John’s Silvers Chicken Recipe
- Start by mixing your dry ingredients in a bowl. Flour, cornstarch, seasonings, etc. Combine dry ingredients until mixed well.
- Then you will pour in your water or club soda, and stir up.
- You want the batter to be clump-free. Then dip your chicken one piece at a time and cook in hot oil.
- Heat oil to between 360 and 375. Fry up until golden brown and the chicken is fully cooked. You will want your chicken to reach 165 degrees internal temperature.
What Seasonings And Spices Do You Need
- Kosher Salt
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder
- Onion Powder and Onion Salt
- Garlic Powder
- Flour and Cornstarch
You will find using a mix of seasonings, sugar, cornstarch, and flour you can create a batter that will be very close to what you can buy at your favorite restaurant.
While it is not exact, it is as close as I could come. I have tried this recipe a handful of times to try and perfect it before I posted it.
Can I Double This Recipe
Yes, you can double this recipe. You will just want to cook in batches. So with the chicken that has dried off on a paper towel, you can then transfer to a baking sheet and place it in a 200-degree oven.
Lay in a single layer so that it can keep chicken warm. If you overlap it will sog up the breading of the chicken. Enjoy this copycat recipe today, and let me know how you like it.
Looking for more Copycat Recipes
- Longhorn Steakhouse Rub
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Eggs
- Olive Garden Breadsticks
- Chick Fil A Nuggets
- KFC Coleslaw
- Red Lobster Coconut Shrimp
- Texas Roadhouse Rolls
Can I Use A Deep Fryer
If you use a deep fryer there is a trick you have to do. If you place your chicken on the basket and lower it into the oil, the chicken WILL stick to the basket.
Place your basket in the oil, and then gently drop in your chicken straight into the oil. This will prevent sticking to your deep fryer basket. Then use tongs to lift them out or raise the basket up.
Best Oil To Fry In
Most will use peanut oil but you can also use Canola oil if you would like. Since I did mine in the pan I reached for Canola but I didn’t have peanut oil on hand.
You just want an oil that doesn’t smoke at higher heat. Like olive oil would not work for this recipe. So reach for peanut, canola, or vegetable oil.
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins
- Canola or Peanut oil for frying
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup water or club soda
- Start by preheating your oil in a pan or deep fryer to 360-375 degrees.
- While oil is preheating add your flour, cornstarch, salt, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and all your spices and seasoning in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Slowly add in your water or club soda. Stir until it is a mixed batter. If it is too thick add a bit more water. Or too runny add more flour. In my video, I showed the consistency of the batter.
- Dip your chicken or fish into the Long John Silvers batter and then fry up.
- You will fry 3-4 minutes per side. Make sure the chicken reaches 165 degrees internal temperature.
- Lay cooked chicken on a paper towel to soak up excess oil and serve warm.
- Enjoy these copycat Lohn John Silvers chicken planks at home anytime you get the cravings!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 389mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 15g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading.