Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes are going to be your new favorite dessert obsession. While you might think of these as summer cupcakes online, I’m going to eat these all year long. A chocolate cupcake filled with hot fudge, topped with frosting and decorated like a sundae.
We literally make up this tasty treats all year long. Since they remind us of ice cream, we think of these are our fun and unique birthday cupcakes. They’re just the best!
Table of contents
- Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes
- How To Make Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes
Craving even more delicious cupcake recipes? Check out these Easy Lemon Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting and these Strawberry and Cream Cupcakes With A Sweet Filling as well! This cactus cupcake is a home run hitter as well. So sweet and wonderful!
Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes
Since you don’t have to actually worry about baking these cupcakes, this recipe couldn’t be any more simple. All you need is just a few simple extra ingredients to make these cupcakes over the moon delicious.
I’m pretty much obsessed over how these look but I’m crazy about the taste and flavor, too. Try my ice cream cone cupcakes!
How To Make Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes
These ice cream inspired cupcakes are really, really simple and oh, so good! There’s nothing like having a cupcake that tastes just like an ice cream sundae as well.
Bake up some chocolate cupcakes, and here is my directions on how to decorate them to resemble a hot fudge sundae!
Step 1: Using a paring knife, cut the top middle section of your cupcakes and fill each one with chocolate syrup. Cover the holes with the cupcake pieces you cut out.
Step 2: In a stand mixer, slowly start beating butter, sugar, milk, and vanilla to make your buttercream. Gradually increase the speed to high. The buttercream is ready once it forms stiff peaks.
Step 3: Using a piping bag, generously frost your cupcakes with the buttercream.
Step 4: Microwave your chocolate candy melts in 30-second intervals until completely melted.
With a spoon, drizzle over on top of your frosted cupcakes. Top with sprinkles and a maraschino cherry.
Full directions and recipe is in the printable recipe card below.
Can you use homemade cupcakes for this recipe?
You sure can! If you have a homemade cupcake recipe that you’re crazy about, use it instead! I only like using cupcakes that are premade because it’s a lot more simple for my crazy schedule.
The great part about making up your own homemade cupcakes is that you can vary up the flavor as well.
You can use homemade chocolate or vanilla cupcakes, or even strawberry ones, too! (and in all reality, you can do this with storebought options as well!)
What are some other fun toppings that you can add to these summer cupcakes?
Anything that you want really! Just ask yourself what you like on your hot fudge sundae and then make it happen.
Other topping ideas can be shredded coconut, mini chocolate chips, crushed nuts, or even caramel syrup, too.
Hot Fudge Sundaes are literally piled high with tons of great tastes and these flavors are perfect for creating cupcakes, too!
How do you store cupcakes once decorated?
If you have cupcakes left over after you’ve added on all the toppings, you’re going to want to store them in an airtight container and place them in the fridge.
This will keep them fresh and moist and ready for the next time you’re having a snack attack.
You can also save some undecorated cupcakes for later as well and just add on the toppings fresh when you’re wanting to eat them. It’s really up to you!
The best part about these simple hot fudge sundae cupcakes is that they really do taste like the real deal! I can’t wait to hear what you think!
More Cupcake Recipes
- Nutella Cupcakes with Pistachio Chocolate Buttercream
- 15 Of The Best Summer Cupcake Recipes To Try Out
- Champagne Cupcakes
- Pina Colada Cupcakes
Hot Fudge Sundae Cupcakes
- 12 chocolate cupcakes
- 4-5 tablespoons hot fudge
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate candy melts
- 12 maraschino cherries
- Bake up your cupcakes as directed on the box or following the directions for a homemade chocolate cupcake.
- Once your cupcakes are cooled you will take a pairing knife and use it to cut the center out of the cupcakes. I just did it a little ways just enough to add a little hot fudge into the hole.
- Now you will take your hot fudge, and if you need warm it up a bit in the microwave so it pours easily. Add just a bit of fudge in each center of the cupcake to fill in the hole.
- Cover the hole with the cupcake pieces you removed.
- In a stand mixer you will now work on the frosting. Add in your softened butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Mix up until creamy, and slowly add in the milk. You will add a tablespoon at a time. You might not use it all.
- You just want it to be a thicker frosting so it pipes well. Look for the frosting to form stiff peaks.
- Pour frosting in a piping bag, and frost your cupcakes with the buttercream.
- Melt up your candy melts and drizzle over the cupcakes, top with rainbow sprinkles and a maraschino cherry.
- Serve up these easy fudge sundae cupcakes for birthdays, after dinner dessert, bake sales and more.
- Cupcakes need to be refrigerated once made, so the frosting doesn’t meltdown.
- You can double the fudge sundae cupcake recipe if you need it.
- I used a Devil’s food boxed cake mix to make my cupcakes.
- Get creative on toppings if you want and have fun.
- You can use chocolate chips in replace of candy melts with 1 teaspoon of shortening mixed in.
- You can swap out the hot fudge filling with chocolate syrup or any other type of filling you want.
- If you don’t want to make the homemade frosting you can swap it out with store-bought frosting, you will find it doesn’t pipe as well.
- You can use a spoon to drizzle chocolate on or buy a plastic bottle with a small tip to drizzle on.