Zucchini Tomato Casserole is a cheesy layered vegetable casserole bake. Sliced zucchini, onions, and tomatoes pairs with two kinds of cheese and buttered bread crumb topping. Try this tomato zucchini bake today!
Table of contents
Tomato zucchini casserole is so easy to make. I love the flavors of zucchini, onion, and tomatoes. Also, check out my zucchini cornbread recipe.
Why This Recipe Is A Crave Worthy Dish
Summer Produce – If you have a garden you might have tomatoes and zucchini coming out of your ears. This is a new way to serve up your favorite summer produce!
Zucchini and Tomato Recipe – The two ingredients go so well together. So if you are a tomato and zucchini fan this dynamic duo takes center stage in this tomato pie recipe.
Quick To Whip Up – Slicing, assemble and bake is all it takes to make this summer side dish recipe! This is an easy zucchini casserole. Use a vegetable slicer for quick prep.
The Italian bread crumbs on top, bake up to a golden brown color, and offer a nice crunch.
Here are the ingredients for this squash tomato casserole! Full measurements and directions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Zucchini – Wash and slice your zucchini nice and thin. Aim for even slices so it cooks up really nice in the casserole pie.
- Tomatoes – Fresh and ripe tomatoes are key. They will help to bring out incredible flavor in the dish.
- Onions – Not a fan of onions, leave them out. This is optional but it does add a lot of flavor. Thin slices so it doesn’t overpower the dish is key.
- Cheese – Mozzarella and parmesan are the two cheeses I used for this dish.
- Breadcrumbs and Butter – Mixing the butter and breadcrumbs together gives the crumbs a golden color and richens the flavor.
- Spices – Salt, pepper, and parsley are what I used to help add a bit more flavor to the dish.
How to Make
Making this vegetable casserole is so easy! The full directions and ingredients are in printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Preheat the oven and grease your deep-dish pie pan or an 8×8 baking dish.
Step 2: Wash, slice and prep the vegetables. Slice around 1/4 inch thick on tomatoes, and then I thinly sliced my zucchini and onions as I wanted them thin. I used the mandoline slicer for even slicing.
Step 3: In a bowl mix your mozzarella, parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, and mix well.
Step 4: Now you will start layering. Spray pan with cooking spray. Do a thin layer of zucchini covering the whole bottom of the pan.
Step 5: Now top with some of the cheese mixture.
Step 6: Next you will do a layer of tomatoes and onions, cheese, and top with a cheese layer.
Repeat the layers of zucchini, cheese, tomato and onion, and cheese.
Step 7: Mix butter with bread crumbs and evenly spread all over the top of your zucchini tomato bake.
Step 8: Cover and cook 20 minutes at 350 degrees, then uncover the casserole and bake another 20-25 minutes.
Remove from oven and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. This will help it to thicken up a bit on the cheese layers.
Spoon up and devour this easy zucchini bake that is loaded with fresh onions, and beefsteak tomatoes!
This is the perfect summer side dish to use up all your homegrown produce! A popular zucchini recipe that is so versatile!
Storing Leftover Casserole
Tomato Zucchini Onion Casserole needs to be stored in the refrigerator. Just place in an airtight container and store for 2-3 days.
As the veggies sit they will release more liquid. To reheat you can do microwave or opt to cover with aluminum foil and heat in the oven.
The texture will be slightly soggy but the flavor will still be really good. My husband eats this cold the next day and loves it.
Does This Freeze – Unfortunately you will not have success freezing this zucchini tomato casserole bake with bread crumb topping. You will find the veggies release so much liquid and make it extra soggy as it thaws.
I recommend only making what you plan to eat.
Variations For Baked Zucchini Tomato Casserole
- Dice up fresh tomatoes like cherry tomatoes or other style and top instead of large slices.
- Add in Yellow Squash as well for a layer
- Toss in fresh basil in with the cheese mixture
- Swap out mozzarella for other shredded cheese like pepper jack for more flavor
- Skip Italian seasoned breadcrumbs and reach for plain or panko style
- Slice some Kielbasa sausage thin and layer in to make it a meat mixture
Want to make this summer vegetable casserole into a full dinner go right ahead. Just slice your Kielbasa thin and add it in as a layer.
Or cook up ground beef or ground sausage and toss in your casserole!
Yellow squash and zucchini can be swapped for this recipe. They offer similar flavor and it will cook the same way as zucchini would. Feel free to make the swap.
What To Serve With This Zucchini Casserole Bake
- Grilled Peach Chicken
- Chicken Planks
- Longhorn Steakhouse Steaks
- Smash Burger
- Broiled Salmon
- Beer Can Chicken
Zucchini Tomato Casserole
- 2 medium-sized zucchinis sliced thin
- 3-4 to matoes sliced
- 1 small sweet onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs Italian seasoned
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted and melted
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and spray down a deep-dish 9-inch pie pan or an 8×8 pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl add your mozzarella, parmesan, salt, and pepper along with parsley. Mix well and set aside.
- Wash and prep your vegetables. I used a mandoline to thinly slice zucchini and the onion. Then used a knife to slice the tomatoes into slices.
- Now you will want to layout a thin even layer of zucchini slices on the bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle a layer of the cheese on top of the zucchini layer of this zucchini bake.
- Now add a layer of the tomatoes and top with a few onion slices.
- Add on another layer of cheese, and then go and repeat the layers all over again. Zucchini, cheese, tomatoes and onions, and cheese.
- Now in a bowl add your breadcrumbs along with the 3 tablespoons melted butter. Stir well until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the buttered breadcrumbs on top of the casserole.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove the foil and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Remove zucchini tomato casserole from the oven, and allow to cool 10 minutes.
- Then spoon up your amazing zucchini bake for a fantastic side dish or even vegetarian main dish!