Classic flavors of a stuffed pepper in an easy and quick casserole form. Stuffed pepper casserole is full of bell peppers, Rotel, ground beef, sausage, tomato paste, and more. Unstuffed peppers casserole also freezes beautifully.
This is a freezer-friendly recipe so you can freeze it for an easy freezer meal down the line. Then toss in the oven to reheat for a quick dinner. We love bell peppers in our home. A gluten-free dinner idea.
This bell pepper casserole is loaded with flavor and such a great green pepper recipe to whip up. Or toss in red, orange or yellow bell peppers to add a sweetness to the casserole.
Why This Recipe Works
- Freezer Friendly, I serve up half the dinner and then freeze the other half for a meal down the line.
- Affordable to make
- Fresh and delicious flavors
📌 Main Ingredients Used
Bell Peppers | You can use any color of bell peppers. We love green as it brings out a more savory. Whereas red, orange or yellow peppers will make it sweeter in flavor.
Rice | I used white rice, but feel free to swap with brown rice or another type of rice that is mellow in flavor.
Tomato-Based Sauce | Tomato paste, Worcestershire, Rotel, salt, and pepper are the base of the tomato sauce used to give flavor to the dish.
Ground beef and Sausage | I did a double meat to really help bring out tons of flavor in the dish. The pairing of breakfast sausage and ground beef is amazing.
Onions | The onion adds a bit more flavor to the dish. If you are not a fan of onions you are more than welcome to leave it out.
🍴 How To Make
Start by browning your ground beef and sausage in a large skillet over medium heat on the stovetop.
Once your meat is cooked you can drain off excess fat. Add in your bell peppers and onions and stir it into the meat, and allow it to cook for around 3-5 minutes.
While your meat is cooking you will make your rice as directed on the package. We used a white long grain rice.
Now in your skillet you will add your tomato paste, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, Rotel, and cook. Once rice is cooked, stir it into the mixture.
Pour the rice dish into a 9×13 baking dish and top with mozzarella cheese and bake in the oven at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted down.
Or skip cheese and cover, and cook to blend flavors and prevent rice from drying out.
Spoon up and serve this easy casserole for dinner.
You can save leftovers to meal prep for lunches or another dinner down the line. This casserole reheats really well, and just gains more flavors as it sits in the fridge.
You can store your casserole in the fridge for around 3 days.
Freezer Friendly Options
So, this recipe makes a 9×13 pan of this rice casserole. What I do is tend to freeze half in an 8×8 pan and the other half I cook up for dinner. We are only 3 people so we can’t eat it all.
After I prep the dish, I pour part in a pan to bake the other part in a pan to freeze. I top with cheese and then wrap twice in aluminum foil. Then I freeze it for up to three months.
When I go to reheat the frozen I reheat at 350 degrees with 1 layer of aluminum foil on the dish. I cook for 40 minutes to an hour. You just want to make sure the rice is warmed all the way through.
🧀 Expert Tips
- Cheese is optional
- You can swap green peppers for red, yellow, or orange bell peppers
- Rice is your choice, I reach for a short or long grain white rice most of the time
- To prevent rice from drying in oven, cover with aluminum foil, or put cheese on top to cover the whole casserole
- Make sure to really mix around the dish once you get all the ingredients in to ensure it is evenly distributed on flavor
- Ramp up the heat and reach for a hot Rotel, or do mild for a kid-friendly dinner
Stuffed peppers casserole is somewhat a meal in one. If you want to pair with sides reach for a green salad, corn, broccoli, or other vegetables. Another great side to consider would be cornbread or a type of dinner roll.
To make your casserole lighter on carbs, swap the rice with a cauliflower rice. This will help to reduce carb count.
If you don’t want to toss your casserole in the oven, you can turn the temperature to low and allow it to simmer for around 10 minutes or so on the stove. You need your tomato pasta and other ingredients to infuse. Otherwise the paste will be really strong in flavor.
More Dinner Ideas
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound sausage (I used Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage)
- 2 cups cooked rice, (cook as directed on the back of the box)
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 can Rotel
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (optional)
- In a skillet, you will want to cook your ground beef and sausage in a skillet until crumbled and no longer pink. Drain off any excess grease.
- Now you will mix in your chopped peppers and onion, and saute for 2-3 minutes or until they soften just a bit.
- While meat is cooking cook up enough rice to make 2 cups of cooked rice.
- Once your peppers and onions cook down, add in your Rotel, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and tomato paste. Turn heat to low and let it simmer for a bit until rice is cooked.
- Stir in your cooked rice. Pour into a 9x13 pan, or split into two 8x8 pans if you plan to freeze part.
- Top with cheese if you want, and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Dish up the stuffed pepper casserole for an easy weeknight dinner for the whole family.
- You can do all ground beef or all sausage if you don't want to do both types of meat for this stuffed pepper casserole.
- Any rice can be used, if you want to do brown rice just follow cooking directions on the container.
- To freeze just double wrap in aluminum foil and freeze up to three months. Double wrap in aluminum foil.
- Mozzarella cheese is optional for topping.
- You can use tomato sauce in replace of tomato paste, a 15 oz can will work.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for around 3 days.
- I used green peppers but any color of bell pepper will work.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 696mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.