Comforting Garlic Parmesan Au Gratin Potatoes are the perfect side to go with any meal. They are practically effortless and the cheesy potato goodness is unforgettable. A cheesy au gratin that is loaded with tangy parmesan and garlic.
Table of contents
Red potatoes steal the show in these cheesy red potato au gratin side dish. They are tender, delicious, and a family favorite. If you’re looking for a complete meal, check out my Instant Pot scalloped potatoes with ham recipe.
Layered potatoes, minced garlic, and a creamy parmesan sauce combine to make this a classic dish. It’s ideal for holidays and potlucks too. A cheese potatoes recipe that kids and adults will both enjoy.
Or for a classic au gratin potato try my slow cooker version I have.
🧀 Why This Recipe Works
- Only need 9 ingredients
- A homestyle recipe like grandma used to make
- Cheesy and creamy flavors
- No-fuss oven-baked potatoes casserole
- Homemade cheese sauce for potatoes
- Total comfort Food
- Minimal effort needed
- Olive Oil
- Red Potatoes
- Minced Garlic
- Heavy Cream
- Fresh Parsley
🧄 How To Make
1. Warm the oven and prepare the casserole dish by adding olive oil.
2. Thinly slice the potatoes and add them to the casserole pan. I recommend using a mandoline for evenly sliced potatoes.
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add more potatoes. Add some minced garlic as you add layers of potatoes.
4. Combine the milk and heavy cream and pour on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle with shredded parmesan.
5. Add tin foil and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Take the foil off of the potatoes and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Serve your cheesy au gratin potatoes with parsley and enjoy hot!
🍽️ Expert Tips
- It’s important to cut the potato slices so they are evenly sized. Otherwise, the potatoes will not cook evenly.
- You can exchange the milk for any other milk alternative.
- Prefer a different kind of cheese? No problem, swap the parmesan for the pepper jack, cheddar, or mozzarella.
- Look for clean and smooth potatoes that show no eyes or softness or bruising.
- You can swap red potatoes out for a russet, Yukon gold, or even another type of potato.
Yep, but the texture is going to be different if you do. Red potatoes have very thin skins so it’s not as offensive as a thick skinned potato. Try it and see what you like.
Sure, we enjoy the texture and the way red potatoes taste, but you can certainly use Yukon gold, russets, or another variety. The recipe is very versatile so making adjustments is easy.
Let the homemade cheesy scalloped potatoes cool down all the way. Then put them in an airtight container. They will last in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Place the easy potatoes on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with a paper towel and microwave until hot.
Additionally, you can reheat them in the oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees and heat them for 10-15 minutes or until hot.
Au gratin refers to scraping and a crispy baked topped. So this slice potatoes in the oven topped with parmesan cheese is the perfect fit for the name used.
More Comforting Potato Side Dishes
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- BBQ Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Hasselback Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- Garlic Dill New Potatoes
- The Best Loaded Potato Soup
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
Garlic Parmesan Au Gratin Potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 red potatoes; peeled
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz package shredded parmesan
- parsley for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Drizzle olive oil into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Thinly slice potatoes and layer them into the baking dish. Add salt and pepper to the top of the potatoes.
- Then create another layer of potatoes just like the first and sprinkle some garlic throughout the potatoes this time.
- Now in a bowl whisk up your milk and heavy cream. Pour the mixture over the top of the potatoes.
- Top with grated parmesan cheese. Cover with foil then bakes for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown.
- Remove from oven to cool then top the cheesy au gratin potatoes with parsley if you would like.