Whip up this Instant Pot Burrito Bowl for dinner tonight. An Instant Pot dump and go chicken burrito bowl, that you can load up with all your favorite Tex-Mex fixings. Seasoned chicken, rice, corn, beans, and more pressure cooked.
Table of contents
Better than Chipotle burrito bowl that is fantastic for meal prepping! A super simple Instant Pot Meal Prep recipe that is great for creating easy grab and go lunches for the week.
If you want you can even call this a chicken taco bowl. Whatever you want to call it, this one pot dinner is a success.
🍅 Why I Recommend Making This Burrito Bowl
- Simple ingredients
- Dump and Go Instant Pot Recipe
- Canned Ingredients for Quick Prep
- Quick Cooking Time in Pressure Cooker
- Versatile on ingredients used
- Great chicken breast or tenderloin recipe
🥬 Ingredients Needed
Boneless Chicken | Reach for boneless chicken. If you are using a thicker cut chicken, you can dice your chicken up. It will help ensure the chicken is fully cooked, with a quick cook time.
Rice and Broth| White long grain rice and chicken broth are the base to this chicken bowl.
Corn, Black Beans, and Rotel | These three canned ingredients help add a nice depth of flavor to your bowl.
Cheese and Toppings | Cheese is optional but to be honest we are a cheese-loving family! Then pile on all your favorite toppings!
🍗 How To Make
Start by seasoning your boneless chicken with the taco seasoning. Place the chicken right in the bottom of your Instant Pot.
Toss in the corn, rinsed black beans, Rotel, rice, and broth. Stir the mixture making sure all the rice is covered in the liquid.
Place the lid on your pressure cooker and ensure the valve is set to sealing. Cook high pressure for 10 minutes followed by a quick release.
Open the lid, shred the chicken if you didn’t dice it up, and then add in the cup of cheese. Let the cheese melt.
Stir well and dish up! Pile on all your favorite toppings.
👩🍳 Meal Prep
This chicken burrito bowl Instant Pot recipe is a go-to for me. Skip eating out and make a chicken bowl at home you can eat for lunch or dinner. Better than Chipotle if you ask me!
Cook up your Instant Pot chicken bowl as directed in the recipe card. Allow it to cool a bit then store in containers. Leave all your toppings in another container.
Heat up the rice mixture, then top with your favorite toppings.
🍽️ Expert Tips and Variations
Here are some tips for when you go to make this Instant Pot chicken burrito bowl!
- You can use ground chicken, ground beef, or even ground turkey in replace of the chicken. Just saute and cook the meat fully and then add in the other ingredients and cook.
- Pile on lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, etc for toppings.
- Lime juice adds tons of flavor to the dish. Squeeze fresh lime juice on top of the dish once you serve it up.
- You can leave the black beans or the corn out if you want to alter the flavor a bit.
- 1 cup of salsa can replace the can of Rotel used in the recipe.
- Make sure the rice is fully submerged in the liquid before cooking or it will not cook properly.
🍳 Recipe FAQs
Minute rice can not be used in the Instant Pot. The reason being is the high pressure that it takes to cook in the pressure cooker it would turn the rice to mush. Long grain white rice is what I recommend.
Burrito bowls are healthy when eaten in moderation. This one pot burrito bowl is a nice blend of carbs, healthy fats, protein and more.
Burrito bowls are great because the rice in the bowl adds a lot more to the dish. You can choose to roll up this taco chicken in a tortilla or pile it into a bowl.
Cook up your taco bowl as directed in the recipe. Then pile your rice mixture in the bottom of a container. Then pile on some of your toppings like tomatoes, salsa, etc.
For other items like sour cream and such, you can store them in separate containers to toss in once you reheat the rice bowl.
Boneless and skinless chicken is key. You can use tenderloins just make sure to remove the tenderloin in the chicken so you don’t get that chewy texture.
More Instant Pot Mexican Recipes
- Cheesy Instant Pot Mexican Casserole
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Instant Pot Fajita Chicken Bowl
- Chicken Fajita Soup
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
- 1 - 1 1/2 pound boneless chicken
- 2 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white long-grain rice
- 1 can Rotel, 10 ounce
- 1 can sweet corn, mostly drained , 15 ounces
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed, 15 ounces
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Toppings | Lettuce, Tomatoes, Sour Cream, Salsa, etc
- Take your chicken and use the taco seasoning to liberally season the chicken. If you are working with really thick pieces of chicken, I recommend cutting it up. I had thinner sliced chicken.
- In the Instant Pot place your chicken breast that is seasoned. Dump in any leftover taco seasoning you didn't use to season the chicken.
- Add in the black beans, corn, Rotel, rice, and pour in the chicken broth. Make sure to push all the rice into the broth. Ensure all the rice is in the liquid or it will not soften properly.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is set to sealing. Then do a high pressure or manual cook for 10 minutes. Once the 10 minutes is done, quick release the pressure.
- Open the lid and shred or dice up the chicken. Then add in your cup of shredded cheese and stir. Once the cheese is melted, you are ready to serve up the burrito bowl.
- Dish up your Instant Pot burrito bowl mixture and top with a drizzle of lime juice, and all your favorite toppings.
You can use ground beef, ground chicken, instead of chicken. All you need to do is saute the meat first making sure it is fully cooked. Then use the broth to help deglaze the bottom of the pot.
You can use a cup of salsa to replace the Rotel if you would like.
Store leftovers in a proper airtight container, and use to meal prep easy lunches or dinners later in the week.
Cut up the chicken into cubes if you are using a thicker cut chicken. Otherwise, it will run the risk of not being fully cooked.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 394Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 944mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 36g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.