Mini Key Lime Pies will tickle your taste buds with sweet and tangy lime in every single bite. Or call these a key lime tart if you will, either way, they are jam-packed with flavor.
I love pie, and if you do too, you might be interested in these other recipes I have. No-Bake S’mores Pie, Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, or my Butterscotch Pie! Or try out this vanilla pound cake for a sweet treat.
Mini Key Lime Pies
What makes key lime even better? Mini pies! Right? I mean who doesn’t like an individual key lime pie.
Try this frozen limeade for a refreshing drink. If you love key lime pie then give this a try! Or pair this mini tart recipe with your limeade for an extra tasty lime treat.
What Is The Difference Between Key Lime and Lime
If you are wondering what is the difference between a classic lime and key lime, here are some differences. Key limes are smaller in size, more aromatic, and tarter in flavor.
Key limes tend to have more seeds and are overall stronger in flavor. You will find regular limes are lighter in flavor, tart, and delicious as well.
Key limes tend to give a lot more citrus flavor into your pie. But you can easily swap out the two varieties of limes in the recipe.
How To Make Mini Pies
Step 1: Start by taking your pie crust or tart shells on a baking dish. Cook for 10 minutes in the oven at 375 degrees.
Step 2: Now whip up your pie filling. Sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, lime zest, and sour cream.
Once you get it all creamy pour it into the pie tart crusts.
Step 3: You will then take your mini pies and place them back into the oven and finish baking them. As you can see this mini pie recipe is so easy.
Once done place on a cooling rack and allow your pies to cool down.
Step 4: Then top with whipped cream, lime zest or a lime wedge!
What If I Can’t Find Key Limes At Store
Struggling to find key limes at your local grocery store? You can buy key lime juice and still get the same incredible flavor.
Or reach for regular limes, it will work just as good. The lime in these pies will be a little bit less tangy but still incredible on flavor.
Can I Do A Graham Cracker Crust Instead of Pie Crust Tart
Feel free to reach for a graham cracker crust instead of the pie crust style. I would not pre-bake the graham cracker crust.
Just pour the filling in and bake.
Storing Key Lime Pie
Your lime pie needs to be stored in the fridge. Just place in an airtight container or cover in plastic wrap.
These mini pies are best when served within the first few days. Otherwise they will start to dry out a bit.
How Do You Know When Key Lime Pie Is Done
The key to knowing when your pie is done it will be slightly jiggly in the center when you move your mini cake.
Since these are mini pies you will find that they are quick to bake. A full size pie will take longer. These mini pies take around 7-10 minutes in the oven.
Looking for more desserts to make
- Cosmic Brownies | Here are a classic fudge brownie topped with chocolate ganache and rainbow sprinkles. A Little Debbie Cosmic Brownie recipe.
- No Bake Peanut Butter Lasagna | Layers of crumbled cookies, peanut butter filling, and a sweet whipped cream topping!
- Galaxy Ice Cream | Here is a sweet dessert that is colorful and no ice cream maker required. This is a space ice cream that looks like the galaxy.
- 12-15 frozen mini tart shells or graham cracker crusts
- 14 oz. condensed milk
- 5 tablespoons key lime juice
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Zest of 1 lime
For the topping:
- Whipped cream (in a can, or homemade)
- Zest of 1 lime
- 6-8 lime slices, cut into quarters (for a total of 12-16 quarter pieces)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place your tartlet crust on a baking sheet and cook for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven. If you use a graham cracker crust, skip the pre-cooking stage.
- While your shells are cooking you can work on your key lime pie filling. In a bowl mix your condensed milk, lime juice, sour cream, and lime zest. Mix until creamy.
- Spoon your lime pie filling into your baked tarts.
- Return pies back to oven for 5-8 minutes.
- Once pies are done, allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Refrigerate your pies in the fridge for at least one hour to help chill them off before serving.
- Once your key lime mini pies are cooled, top with whipped cream, lime zest, and a lime quarter. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 616Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 243mgCarbohydrates: 96gFiber: 4gSugar: 60gProtein: 8g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.