Whip up a batch of this fried cabbage with bacon in under 30 minutes. Tender sliced cabbage, onions, crispy bacon, all cooked in the same skillet. Bacon and cabbage take center state in this southern fried cabbage recipe.
Serve up this bacon and cabbage dish as a side dish or main dish. It is even considered a keto fried cabbage recipe if you are looking for new ways to cook cabbage. Try out my cabbage steaks for another simple side.
Serve this cabbage recipe up as a side dish, or allow it to take front and center. Pair with a side of bread, cornbread, etc.
🥬 Why Make This Fried Cabbage Recipe
- Simple ingredients
- Keto diet-friendly
- Bacon and onions bring out the flavor.
- Pan fried cabbage is so easy.
- Change up spices for more flavor
- Great as a side dish or dinner.
- Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder
- Add red pepper flakes for heat, or hot sauce.
Full directions and measurements for this cabbage and bacon recipe is below in the printable recipe card.
🧂 How to Make
Full directions on how to make this fried cabbage with bacon are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a visual walk through to help readers see how to make it.
Step One: First, you want to start by slicing up your bacon into small strips and pan-fry them in the cast iron skillet until the bacon pieces are fully cooked.
Step Two: Remove bacon from pan. Place on a paper-towel-lined plate to soak up excess great.
Step Three: Turn down the heat a little bit and then add the onions. Saute for 1-2 minutes or until they are translucent and softer in texture.
Step Four: Toss in the diced green cabbage, and let it cook. As the cabbage cooks, it will shrink in size and go from crisp to texture. Season with salt and pepper.
Step Five: When the cabbage is done to your liking simply toss the bacon back into the dish.
Step Six: Stir and serve as is, or even drizzle on some fresh lemon juice.
🍽️ Meal Prep and Storage
This bacon and cabbage is best when served fresh. It will become soggier in texture once you place in fridge to store for later. The cabbage will still taste good but the texture will be different.
It will store for 1-2 days in the fridge. You need to store the fried cabbage and onion mixture in an airtight container.
🍞 Tips and Variations
- Swap out the bacon with sausage, Kielbasa, ham, prosciutto, etc.
- Feel free to add in some fried potatoes that you can pan-sear when you are cooking the onions.
- Change up the seasonings used. Cajun seasoning, lemon pepper, etc could be great mix-in flavors.
- Don’t overcook the cabbage or it will become very soft, and a mushy-texture.
- Toss in diced green apples for a kick of sweet.
- Cut the cabbage in all similar-sized pieces so you get a uniform cook. Otherwise, some cabbage will be more done and others still needing to be cooked a bit longer.
🧄 Recipe FAQs
Craving More Recipe Ideas
- Ninja Foodi Corned Beef
- Beef Pot Pie
- Hasselback Chicken
- Baked Everything chicken
- Reuben Roll Ups
- Hawaiian Chicken
- Turkey Sliders
- Cauliflower Leek Soup
Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- 1 pound bacon diced ( I used thick-cut)
- 1 head of cabbage cored.
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- In a skillet on the stove, you want to dice your bacon into small pieces. Cook it on medium heat in a skillet. Cook until the bacon is fully cooked. Then remove bacon and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Leave the bacon grease in the pan. Toss in your diced onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Then toss in your chopped cabbage. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the cabbage for 5-7 minutes or until it reaches your desired texture.
- When the cabbage is done, toss the bacon back in and stir. Then serve up the fried cabbage as a side dish or pair with butter as a main dish.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @bakemesomesugar and on Instagram @bakemesomesugar
Leave A Reply!