Jalapeno cornbread is a sweet and spicy cornbread recipe. A homemade cornbread that is paired with jalapenos for spice and honey for sweetness. Give this honey jalapeno cornbread recipe a try today.
If you’re a fan of southern cornbread, you’re going to be crazy about this tasty treat.
Table of contents
The great part about baking this simple cornbread recipe is that you can easily change up the heat level on it as well.
Sometimes I tend to crave a bit more honey than spice so I’ll be a bit heavy-handed with the addition of the honey. The next time I make the recipe, I might find myself pouring in a bit more chopped jalapenos instead!
This simple honey jalapeno cornbread is…
- Packed with awesome flavor
- Made with simple ingredients
- Moist and delicious
- Easy jalapeno cornbread
- A great side dish to most meals
- Can be topped with butter or even hot honey
- Granulated Sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
Here are some tools you might want for making this homemade jalapeno cornbread.
How to Make
Full directions and measurements for this recipe are in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Grease the baking pan and line it with parchment paper. Prep the oven and let it preheat.
Step 2: Mix together the cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and all-purpose flour. Once mixed set aside.
Step 3: In a bowl you will beat your butter and sugar until smooth.
Step 4: Now in another bowl add your buttermilk, honey, and eggs. Whisk until combined.
Step 5: Now add 1/2 the buttermilk mixture and 1/2 the dry to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix and then repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
Step 6: Stir in the jalapenos, and pour into your prepared baking dish.
Step 7: Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked. Allow cooling about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Make certain that you grease the pan well, even if you’re using parchment paper. Bread tends to stick easily and that can just ruin the whole recipe fast.
- Always check the middle of the cornbread to see if it’s done baking. Some people check the sides to see if food is done but that part of the food is the section that cooks the fastest. Use a clean toothpick and check the middle for doneness.
- Remove the seeds from the jalapenos if you want a milder flavor. This sweet jalapeno cornbread is sweet and a hit of warmth.
- For a moist jalapeno cornbread, make sure to not overbake.
Full directions on how to make jalapeno cornbread are in the recipe card below.
Variations to Recipe
In my opinion, this homemade cornbread recipe is pretty perfect but there are a few things you might want to change up and try.
- Try using maple syrup instead of honey. It should still give the same delicious taste and flavor and that perfect level of sweetness. This would also make it super yummy to pair with bacon, too.
- Mix in some bacon bits. Why not add in a bit of protein? Adding in some fun bacon bites can be the perfect way to give this recipe a pop of protein.
- If you really like heat, you can always up the number of jalapenos or even add in a hotter pepper than a jalapeno. Ghost peppers are pretty hot and could take the flavor of this cornbread recipe over the top!
- Spread on some butter or even hot honey for even more flavor.
More Cornbread Recipes
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
Ingredients for Jalapeno Cornbread
- 2/3 cup butter (unsalted, softened)
- 1 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup jalapenos (diced up, can use pickled or fresh)
- Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. Then grease a 9x9 pan and line the bottom with parchment paper that hangs over.
- In a bowl beat your granulated sugar and softened butter together. Once mixed set aside.
- In another bowl add your cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Then in a 3rd bowl add your buttermilk, eggs, and honey and whisk.
- Now add part of the wet ingreidents in with the butter, and 1/2 the dry mixture. Mix, and then finish adding in the rest of the wet and dry ingredients.
- Once mixed, fold in your jalapenos, and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cornbread is fully cooked.
- Place the jalapeno cornbread on a cooling rack to allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan, and then slice and serve. Drizzle the honey jalapeno cornbread with honey, hot honey, or even a slab of butter.
You can use fresh jalapenos or pickled from a jar. If you want a milder flavor to remove the seeds from the jalapenos.
If you do not have buttermilk add your milk into a container and then add 1 1/2 tablespoons of white distilled vinegar, and stir, and let sit 5 minutes. It will curdle the mixture making it homemade buttermilk.
You can bake this cornbread in a 9x13 pan. It will bake a lot faster and be thinner.
Store any leftover cornbread in a container or airtight bag on the counter or in the fridge.
Feel free to freeze your cornbread for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 486mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 6g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.
If you try this honey cornbread let me know what you think. Jalapeno and honey work so well together!