Homemade fresh salsa recipe is an easy 10-minute side dish that is filled with hearty tomatoes, red onions, spicy jalapenos, tangy lime juice, and cilantro! This no-cook salsa is the perfect side to any meal.
What makes my easy salsa recipe the best is that I always use fresh ingredients instead of canned ones. So the result is incredible every single time! Try this chunky salsa for dipping in chips, topping tacos, and more.
Trust me when I say you aren’t going to want to miss my fresh watermelon salsa, strawberry salsa, or mango salsa. They are all delicious and easy to make too!
Why you will enjoy homemade salsa…
Here are some reasons why I love serving this easy salsa recipe! Give it a try!
- Only 7 ingredients!
- Made with fresh produce.
- The perfect combination of spicy and tangy.
- An easy dish or appetizer for any time of year!
- A crowd favorite at potlucks, barbecues, and parties.
Tomatoes – I recommend using Roma tomatoes because they are sturdy and hold up well. They don’t become mushy as other varieties of tomatoes get.
Onion – My preference is red onion because it adds a pop of color and tastes great too. It’s also fine to go with a sweet onion instead.
Jalapenos – For spicier jalapenos, look for peppers with slightly wrinkly skin and with fine lines on the outside. They tend to be much hotter!
Lime – Not only does a juiced lime add flavor, but it also keeps the ingredients nice and fresh!
Cilantro – You really can’t swap the cilantro for anything but fresh. Dried cilantro doesn’t have that kick of flavor most people are looking for in good guacamole.
Salt & Pepper – Feel free to add more or less depending on how you like it!
Variations to Recipe
- Cucumbers – Chop up some cucumber pretty finely. It adds to the texture and tastes great too.
- Bell Peppers – Another tasty ingredient you can add to this salsa recipe is bell peppers.
- Charred Corn – If you are looking for a unique addition, go for some charred corn. It tastes fabulous and looks great too.
- Seasonings – Feel free to add any of your favorite seasonings, such as garlic powder, onion powder, or a dash of cayenne pepper.
How to Make
Check out the full directions on how to make salsa in the printable recipe card below.
- Chop the tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and cilantro.
- Slice the lime in half.
- Combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers, and cilantro in a bowl. Drizzle in lime juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
Expert Tips For Making Salsa
- Always choose ripe ingredients – Because this salsa is made with fresh vegetables, picking what is ripe is important to get the most flavor.
- Adjust the spiciness – If you like it extra hot, mix in more jalapenos or add some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to taste.
- Don’t skip the lime juice – It helps balance the flavors of the tomatoes and onions. You can swap it for lemon juice if you are out of limes.
- Let the salsa rest – While you can serve it right away, allowing it to sit for an hour or so gives the flavors time to develop more.
- Chop Salsa – I made chunky salsa. You are welcome to add ingredients to a food processor and pulse lightly to make a smoother salsa if you prefer. The size of the ingredients does change the flavor.
In the fridge, keep the salsa in a sealed container for up to 3-5 days. Give the salsa a stir before you go and use it to ensure all the flavors incorporate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it’s fine to freeze homemade salsa! Place it in a freezer-safe container, only filling 2/3 full. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge before serving. Be sure to stir well and enjoy! Just know the texture will be softer once it is thawed from being frozen.
While I prefer using fresh tomatoes, it’s fine to use canned. The flavor won’t be as bold, but it will still be good. Chop them up or buy petite diced canned tomatoes.
Serve with traditional tortilla chips, or add it to some eggs for a fun spin! It’s also excellent on tacos, stuffed in burritos, added to salads, or mixed into casseroles. Another great option is to serve it with salmon, grilled chicken, or a juicy steak.
- Easy Salsa Chicken
- Taco Cornbread Casserole
- Ground Beef Dorito Casserole
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Chicken Chimichanga
Have you tried the recipe? If so, please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below or drop a comment. Also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, or My Facebook Group
- 5 Roma tomatoes
- ½ red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- ¼ salt or to taste,
- ¼ black pepper or to taste
- Dice your tomatoes into bite sized pieces and add to a large bowl.
- Next you will finely dice the red onion, and toss in the bowl. Then add in some diced jalapeno pepper and chopped cilantro.
- Squeeze in your lime juice and season well with salt and pepper. Mix well and then let refrigerate for 30 minutes or so. Then toss well and serve up with tortilla chips, top tacos, quesadillas, or more.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @bakemesomesugar and on Instagram @bakemesomesugar
Leave A Reply!