Learn how to make homemade French bread with a simple and foolproof recipe. This easy French bread recipe has a flaky and crispy crust with a tender and soft bread on the inside. This made from scratch, easy bread recipe is a 5-star recipe.
Table of contents
Bread lovers, this homemade French bread is just for you! This easy recipe is way better than a bakery, and the aroma is pure heaven. You aren’t going to want to miss my fluffy dinner rolls recipe either. YUM!
I promise making French loaf bread is actually very simple! And when you take that first bite, it’s perfection. Or transform it into French roll bread to have rolls instead of a loaf.
I am an Amazon Affiliate, so if you purchase through my link I can earn a commission on sales.
🥖 Why This Recipe Works
- Goes great with soup
- Pair with a salad and a pasta dish
- Freezer friendly
- My family loved this recipe
- Perfect for all occasions, therefore the best bread ever!
- A great option for beginning bakers
- Active Dry Yeast
- Warm Water
- White Sugar
- All-Purpose Flour
- Egg White
Grab my Free Kitchen Conversions Printable! This shows you how many cups are in a quart, pint, etc. A great printable to keep handy for when you need to convert a recipe.
🥄 How To Make
For full directions scroll down to the bottom to find the printable recipe card and measurements for this recipe on how to make bread from scratch.
However, keep scrolling for helpful tips and guidance on baking French bread.
1. First, mix the active dry yeast, water, and sugar together. Let it rest until it becomes foamy.
More importantly, this can take around 5-10 minutes. If you find your yeast is not bubbling, it means it is not activating and the yeast is bad and you need to restart.
Your liquid needs to be around 105 degrees Fahrenheit to help proof the dough. Too hot and it will kill the yeast. I tend to microwave my water for 30-second intervals and use a thermometer to test. 2. Mix the salt, water, and flour in a separate bowl.
Next, Combine flour and yeast mixture to form soft dough. You can mix with a spoon in a bowl or use a stand mixer. Either method works.
The biggest thing is to not overwork the dough or it can make the bread tough and heavy.
Place the dough ball on a floured surface and let it rest for about 10 minutes. Knead the dough for 7-10 minutes or until it becomes elastic and smooth.
Put the dough in a greased bowl and turn it over so the grease coats all the dough. Cover the bread dough and let it rise until it doubles in size.
Punch down the dough and divide it into two portions. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
Next, shape dough into the two bread loaves. Then you will put each French bread loaf, seam side down on a baking sheet that has been greased and sprinkled with cornstarch.
Cover the loaves and let them rise until doubled in size. Once doubled you will bake until lightly golden brown.
Baste the bread with egg wash and bake for an additional 20 minutes. This will help the loaves to become golden brown on top.
Let the French bread cool on a wire rack and serve warm. Then most importantly.. slice and dive with with a slab of butter.
🍞 Expert Tips
- The warm water needs to be between 105 – 110 degrees. You don’t want it too hot or too cool, or the yeast won’t activate properly.
- When kneading the dough, you may need to add up to 1 additional cup of flour. However, you might find your dough doesn’t need extra flour.
- Most importantly, the dough should feel soft, not gooey to the touch. Simply adjust the flour as you need.
- You can knead the dough with your hands or by using a stand mixer.
- After the bread has risen, you can set it on top of your stove or even in a warm window. Just make sure it’s covered.
- Feel free to sprinkle on some dried herbs, parmesan cheese, etc to add flavor to your read. Whatever you choose, it will add flavor! Rosemary, Italian seasoning, etc.
👩🍳 Recipe FAQs
More Incredible Bread
Moreover to this recipe, here are a few more of our favorite bread recipes, rolls, and even a breadstick copycat recipe.
- The Best Instant Pot Bread
- Easy Garlic Cheddar Beer Bread
- Olive Garden Breadsticks
- Buttermilk Bread
- Texas Roadhouse Rolls with Cinnamon Butter
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
- 4 1/2 teaspoons Active dry yeast (2 packets)
- ½ cup Water Warm (105-110 degrees F)
- 1 teaspoon Granulated white sugar
- 6 - 7½ cups All-purpose flour or bread flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups water (warm water)
- 1 large Egg white
- ½ cup yellow Cornmeal
- First you want to start by warming up your water. I add it to a cup and put in microwave for 30 second intervals. You want to heat it to 105-110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once water is warm, add in your teaspoon of granulated sugar, and yeast. Gently stir and let sit 5-10 minutes. It will look foamy.
- In another bowl add in yur salt, 2 cups warm water, and mix in 2 cups of flour.
- Now stir in yeast mixer and begin adding a cup of flour at a time. You might not use it all. You want he dough to be soft, and not overly sticky when you touch. It will form a ball when you stir, clumping all together.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surgace, and form a ball. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and let the bread dough rest 10 minutes.
- Then you will begin to knead the dough on a floured sturface. This can take around 5-10 minutes. You want the dough to be soft, smooth, and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, and cover with a towel. Let the dough rise 1 1/2 hours.
- After the dough as risen, punch down the dough. Then make two balls. Roll each ball into a rectangle 15x12". Now roll the dough tightly, beginning at one end. Taper off the ends.
- With a sharp knife add slashes on top of the bread every 2-3 inches. Aim for 1/4 " deep.
- Now brush both loaves with the egg whites and tablespoon water. Whisk together then brush.
- Cover with a damp towel, and allow the bread to rise 1 1/2 hours. Do not let the dough loaves touch.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 20 minuts then remove bread loaves. Brush again with egg whites, and back another 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven when the French bread loaves are fully cooled. Place on cooling rack to cool. Then slice and serve.
You can use bread flour to substitute the all purpose flour.
Your yeast needs to foam up, otherwise, it means the yeast is dead and the recipe will fail.
Make sure the water is not too cold or too hot or it will kill the yeast. 105-110 degrees is optimal for water.
Store in an airtight container or freeze for up to three months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 445Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 137mgCarbohydrates: 93gFiber: 3gSugar: 0gProtein: 13g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.