Hand pies are a tried and true dessert that are fantastic for serving up all year round. This hand pies recipe is one of my favorites. A light and fluffy pie crust that is filled with apple pie filling and air fried to perfection.
You can bake hand pies in the oven or make air fryer hand pies. Either route, will work out great.
Air fryer apple hand pies are a simple and easy dessert you can make. These mini handheld apple pies can be filled with any of your favorite fruit fillings.
Why You Will Enjoy Hand Pies…
- Quick Prep
- Single-serve apple pie pockets
- Use store-bought pie crust for easy prep
- Canned or homemade apple pie filling
- Great for holiday events, family cookouts, etc.
This apple pastry recipe is full of delicious apples and warm spices in each bite.
How to Make
Full directions and measurements for this recipe are in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: Start by unrolling the pie crust out on a floured surface. Use a 2″ round cookie cutter and use it to cut out the pie crust.
Step 2: Now you will fill the center of each pie crust with around a tablespoon of pie filling. Make sure to leave around 1/4 inch around the edges.
Leave half the pie crust empty as they will be the tops to the filled pies.
Step 3: Place the other pie crust on top, and use a fork to crimp around the edges of the pie crust. Then take a knife and make air holes in the top.
Step 4: Brush the top of the crust with the egg wash, and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Repeat until all the pie crusts are done.
Step 5: Place pies in an air fryer basket and air fry at 375 degrees, and cook for 5 minutes.
Or you can bake at 375 degrees and bake 5-9 minutes. Or until crust is baked fully.
Step 6: Remove the mini apple hand pies and serve up delicious apple pie bites.
These hand held apple pies can be stored at room temperature for 3 days, or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Just make sure to allow your apply pie tarts to fully cool from being cooked. Then place in an airtight container for either storage method.
Can you freeze hand pies? You can freeze baked apple hand pies. Allow to fully cool then freeze for 3-4 months. When you want to eat one or more, remove and allow to thaw at room temperature.
Expert Tips and Variations
- Use any flavor of pie filling for this recipe.
- If you prefer go right ahead and make a homemade pie crust instead of buying pre-bought.
- Make sure to leave space between each of the pie crusts, so you get an even cook.
- Bake in the oven or air fry the hand-held pies.
- These are wonderful for holidays to hand out single-serve pies.
More Pie Recipes
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
- 1 package of refrigerated pie crust (14 ounces)
- 1 can of pie filling (21 ounces)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Coarse sugar, optional topping
- Start by rolling out your pie crust, and use a round cookie cutter to cut out the circles.
- Place a tablespoon of apple pie filling into each of the circle cookie cutters. You will leave 1/2 of the pie crust done.
- Place the other pie crust on top of the filled pie crust. Then cut 2-3 holes in the middle of the pie to help release the air as it bakes.
- Mix the egg and milk in a bowl, and brush over the pie crusts. Then dust with some of the coarse granulated sugar.
- Place the filled hand pies in the air fryer, leaving space between them. Air fry at 375 degrees until the pies are golden brown in color.
- Once the apple hand pies are done, remove and serve.
Baking in Hand Pies Oven: You can bake these in the oven at 375 degrees for 5-8 minutes or until the pie crust is done.
You can use any flavor of pie filling as you would like.
To make caramel apple pies, then add some caramel sauce to drizzle on top of each apple pie filling.
You can make homemade pie crust or buy pre-made pie crust you roll out. You can find it in the refrigerated section by the biscuits.
Use homemade filling or store-bought pie filling.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 98Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 88mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.
Apple pie in the air fryer is super easy to make. This air fryer apple pie hand pies version is very easy, and makes for a tasty dessert.