I am a sucker for hush puppies! Consider trying out these air fryer hush puppies for a great side dish or snack! These hush puppies are made with yellow corn meal, flour, a variety of spices, and air fried to golden crispy perfection.
Hush puppies were first made by Southern cooks who would fry leftover bits of cornmeal batter to feed to their dogs as a way to keep them quiet during hunting trips or other occasions when they needed to remain quiet. The cooks eventually began to eat the fried bits themselves and found them to be a delicious and satisfying snack or side dish. Over time, the dish became known as “hush puppies” in honor of its original use as a dog silencer.
These Air Fryer Hush Puppies Are…
- Quick and Easy
- Made from Scratch
- Easy Snack or Appetizer
- Crispy and Crunchy Outside Tender Centers
Here is all your need for these hush puppies.
- Cornmeal – Yellow cornmeal.
- Flour – All purpose flour.
- Baking Powder
- Seasonings – Garlic salt, Cayenne pepper, garlic powder, minced onion
- Corn – Cream style corn in can.
- Egg – large.
How to Make
Full steps on how to make these air fried hush puppies are in the printable recipe card. This is a quick walk through.
- Add the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and seasonings. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl add egg and milk. Whisk well to combine.
- Stir in the onion and creamed corn.
- Mix with dry ingredients.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Then you will use a cookie scoop to form balls and then freeze for 30 minutes.
- Remove hush puppies from freezer and place in the air fryer. Spray with oil.
- Air fry as directed, and then serve up these golden brown hush puppies.
Variations to Recipe
- Add cheese: Try adding shredded cheddar or Parmesan cheese to the hush puppy batter for a savory twist.
- Spices: Add some spices like cumin, chili powder, or smoked paprika to the batter to give them a kick of flavor.
- Herbs: Add chopped fresh herbs like parsley, cilantro, or thyme to the batter to give them a fresh and fragrant flavor.
- Onion: Add finely chopped onion or scallions to the batter for a savory and slightly sweet flavor.
- Jalapenos: Add diced jalapenos or other hot peppers to the batter for a spicy kick.
- Corn: Add fresh or canned corn kernels to the batter for a sweet and crunchy texture.
- Bacon: Add crumbled bacon or bacon bits to the batter for a smoky and savory flavor.
- Sweet: Add a little bit of sugar or honey to the batter for a sweet twist.
Expert Tips For Success
Preheat the air fryer: Preheat the air fryer for 3-5 minutes before adding the hush puppies. This will help them cook evenly and crisp up nicely.
Use cooking spray: Coat the air fryer basket with cooking spray before adding the hush puppies to prevent them from sticking.
Don’t overcrowd: Make sure to leave some space between the balls in the air fryer basket so that they cook evenly and get crispy on all sides.
Flip halfway through: Flip the hush puppies halfway through the cooking time to ensure that they cook evenly on both sides.
Check frequently: Keep an eye on the hush puppies while they’re cooking in the air fryer to prevent them from burning.
Enjoy hot: Serve the hush puppies hot and crispy, ideally with some dipping sauce like honey mustard or ranch dressing.
Refrigerate – If you have leftover hush puppies place them in a container in an airtight container. Or if you want you can place in a sealed bag.
Freezer – Or you can freeze any hush puppies. Just allow them to cool and then place in a freezer container. Then when you want to eat thaw in the fridge overnight, and then reheat in microwave, air fryer or oven. Or you can reheat straight from being frozen if you want.
It’s a good idea to preheat the air fryer for 3-5 minutes before adding the hush puppies. This will help them cook evenly and crisp up nicely.
Cooking times may vary depending on the size of the hush puppies and the specific model of the air fryer. Generally, hush puppies will take about 8-10 minutes in the air fryer, but it’s a good idea to check them frequently to prevent burning.
Use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of the hush puppies. They should reach at least 165°F to ensure that they are fully cooked.
More Air Fried Recipes
Craving more air fryer recipes? Here are a few more that I recommend trying out if you get a craving.
Have you tried the recipe? If so, please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below or drop a comment. Also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, or My Facebook Group
Printable Recipe Card
Air Fryer Hush Puppies
- 1 cup of yellow corn meal
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons of minced onion
- 1 can of cream style corn
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 large egg
- Spray oil
- To make the hush puppies, start by mixing the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and milk, then stir in the minced onion and cream-style corn. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place about a cup of cornmeal in a shallow bowl. Roll the hush puppies into small balls, then roll them in the cornmeal and place them on the parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Place the hush puppies in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the hush puppies from the freezer and place them in the air fryer basket. Spray the hush puppies with oil spray and set the temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and the time to 10 minutes.
- Check the hush puppies halfway through cooking, turn them over, and spray them again with oil spray. Finish cooking the hush puppies until golden brown on the outside and cooked through in the middle. If necessary, add 3 minutes and cook again until they are completely done in the center.
- Once the hush puppies are done, sprinkle them with finely minced parsley and serve with ketchup. Enjoy!