Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes are the easiest way to cook up your green tomatoes this season. Get a crispy coating, and tender and juicy green tomato inside. The best green tomato recipe you will ever try.
Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes
This fried green tomato recipe was made right in the air fryer. Simple step-by-step instructions that lead you to the perfect side dish, snack or appetizer to serve up.
I am an Amazon Affiliate, so if you purchase through my link I can earn a commission on sales.
Keto Fried Green Tomatoes
To make this recipe keto-friendly all you do is use almond flour in replace of the regular flour in the recipe.
All the other ingredients in this fried green tomatoes recipe are keto-friendly. So you can just swap out the flour and your all set. Serve as a snack, appetizer, etc.
Ingredients For Fried Green Tomatoes
- Crushed Pork Rinds (for keto) or Cornmeal
- All-Purpose Flour (or almond flour for keto)
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes
- Start by washing and slicing up your green tomatoes. I aim to cut them 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Now you want to do your different batters.
- Start by the flour mix, followed by egg and cream, and then last coat in pork rinds.
- Place in the air fryer and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until your tomatoes are cooked and crispy. Full directions are in the printable recipe card.
What Kind of Tomatoes Are Used For Fried Green Tomatoes
When picking green tomatoes you want to ensure they feel nice and firm when you gently squeeze them.
You will find the tomato varieties don’t really matter when it comes to green tomatoes, but the firmness is the key. If the tomato isn’t that firm, you will find it won’t turn out as great.
Can Green Tomatoes Be Eaten Raw
While you can cook with green tomatoes whether you toss in stews, air fry like this recipe, and more. You don’t want to slice and eat green tomatoes plain, as they can have toxins that are not good to consume raw.
Tips For Air Fried Green Tomatoes
- Don’t Overlap | The biggest thing is not overlapping your tomatoes. If you do you will find the crust does not fully crisp up where the tomatoes touch.
- Batter | Make sure that you don’t do a super heavy batter on your fried green tomatoes. Shake off excess and then move to the next stage of coating your tomatoes. You want an even cook.
Want More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Fried Steak | Serve up juicy minute steaks that are battered in flour and crackers.
- Easy Air Fryer Baked Apples | This baked apples recipe is a stuffed apple that is full of oats and granola.
- Homemade Air Fryer Fish Sticks | Take some fish and transform it into homemade fish sticks. Crispy, crunchy and loaded with flavor.
- Air Fryer Cheesy Meatballs | Love a juicy meatball? Try this cheese-filled meatball recipe.
How To Keep Fried Green Tomatoes Warm As You Cook The Rest
If you are batch cooking your tomatoes, you might be wondering how to keep them warm.
What I do is lay them out on a baking sheet and toss in the oven at 200 degrees. This will keep them warm while you work on the rest. Don’t stack them as that can make them soggy.
What To Dip Your Green Tomatoes In
- Zesty Sauce
- Honey Mustard
- Creamy Horseradish
- 2 Medium Green Tomatoes
- 1 cup crushed pork rind crumbs (which is around 3 oz)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour ( or almond flour if keto)
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon season salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by preheating your air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Now you want to wash and dry your tomatoes and slice them around 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Then in a container add your flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and season all to make the flour base for your fried green tomatoes.
- Now in another bowl add your beaten egg and whipping cream and mix up.
- Grab one last plate or bowl and do your ground pork rind crumbs for coating your green tomatoes.
- Now you will dip both sides of your tomato in the flour dredge, followed by dipping green tomato in egg wash, followed by the pork rinds.
- Place the coated tomatoes on the air fryer rack and cook 4-5 minutes and flip, and cook another 4-5 minutes.
- Once done place on plate and serve these easy fried green tomatoes with your favorite dipping sauce. This is an easy appetizer or side dish made right in your air fryer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 people Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 379mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 9g