Whip up this decadent Red Velvet Poke Cake! A boxed cake mix recipe that is paired with sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, and a whipped cream topping. Grab a fork and dive into this red velvet cake!
Table of contents
Moist, rich, red velvet cake that is sweetened with a condensed milk and cream cheese topping. This is an easy Valentine’s Day dessert or even a potluck cake recipe to consider.
This poke cake recipe with sweetened condensed milk is different than a classic Jello poke cake. It is the same concept but just different ingredients.
🍰What Is A Poke Cake
A poke cake is when you bake a cake, in this cake a red velvet cake mix is used. Then you will take the back of a wooden spoon or fork and start poking holes all over the cake.
Then create the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk and pour it over the cake. All the mixture will soak into the cake. Top with whipped cream once cooled.
A light and fluffy cake that is so moist and delicious!
🍨 Why This Recipe Is So Delicious
- Moist Red Velvet Cake
- Cream cheese poke cake that will knock your socks off
- Cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk adds such richness to the cake
- A simple whipped cream for the frosting. Or opt for a cream cheese frosting
- Quick to bake
- Great for parties, holiday gatherings, etc.
- Red Velvet Cake Box
- Egg, Water, Oil (what is on the back of cake box)
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Cream Cheese
- Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Shavings (optional)
🥄 How To Make
- Start by mixing up your red velvet cake batter as directed on the back of the box. Pour into a greased 9×13 cake pan and bake in the oven at 350 degrees.
- Bake the cake as directed, and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Use a fork or the back of a wooden spoon and poke holes all over the cake.
- Take softened cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk and whip up, pour over the cake. Refrigerate until cooled.
- Top with whipped cream, and chocolate shavings. Then slice and serve this red velvet poke cake!
This cream cheese poke cake needs to be stored in the fridge. Due to the whipped topping frosting and the cream cheese, it will spoil if left out at room temperature.
In terms of freezing you are more than welcome to freeze any cake you don’t think you will eat right away. Place the cake in the proper freezer friendly container.
Then just thaw the frozen poke cake in the fridge until thawed, then serve.
Grab my Free Kitchen Conversions Printable! This shows you how many cups are in a quart, pint, etc. A great printable to keep handy for when you need to convert a recipe.
👩🍳 Expert Tips And Variations
- To know when cake is done stick a toothpick inserted in the center and if it comes out clean with no wet cake batter the cake is done.
- Make sure your cream cheese is super soft so it creams up well with the sweetened condensed milk.
- You do not have to add the chocolate shavings on top. Replace with sprinkles, serve with just whipped cream, etc.
- Decorated with chocolate-covered strawberries, dark chocolate candies, etc.
🍫 Recipe FAQs
Here Are More Recipe Creations
- Baked Red Velvet Donuts
- Nutella Cake 2 Ingredients
- Valentine’s Day Dessert Board
- No Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Eclair Cake
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
- 1 box red velvet cake mix + ingredients on the box
- 1 package cream cheese (8 ounces) room temperature
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 ounces
- 1 tub Cool whip 8 ounces
- 1/3 cup chocolate shavings (optional)
- Start by greasing your 9x13 pan and mix up your red velvet cake mix as directed on the back of the box. Add in all the ingredients it calls for.
- Once the red velvet cake is cooked place on a cooling rack. Let cool 5-10 minutes.
- Then with a fork or the back of a wooden spoon poke holes all over the cake.
- In a stand mixer take your room temperature cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk and mix until fully creamy. It is important your cream cheese is fully softened or it will curdle.
- Pour the mixture all over the top of the cake. Cover with aluminum foil or a lid and let cool fully in the refrigerator.
- Once the red velvet poke cake is cooled, top with your Cool Whip. Then sprinkle on chocolate shavings.
- Slice and serve up this easy poke cake for any and every occasion.
You can use a different flavor of cake mix if you would like. I love the red velvet poke cake but can be altered.
Feel free to leave the cream cheese out if you want and just do sweetened condensed milk.
You can decorate the top of your cake with sprinkles, chocolate candies, etc.
This recipe makes a 9x13 pan.
You can make your cake a day in advance of when you want to serve it up.
This cream cheese poke cake can be frozen for up to three months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 69mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.