Jello Poke Cake is one dessert that has been popular for so long. Serve up this rainbow Jello poke cake for dessert this week. A rainbow dessert that is bursting with flavor and color.
This Jello dessert is an old-fashioned jello cake with cool whip spread on the top. Also try my other poke cake – strawberry crunch poke cake!
Table of contents
This Rainbow poke cake is great for birthday parties, a potluck dessert, summer cookout treat, and more.
There is never a wrong time to serve up this jello and cool whip dessert. Try my Pumpkin Spice poke cake for a fun flavor option as well.
Why You Will Love This Poke Cake…
- Delicious Cool Whip cake
- 4 flavors of Jello
- Boxed Cake Mix Recipe
- Rainbow Dessert
- Kid friendly
- Could be a fun Tie-Dye Dessert
- Creamy whipped cream topping
This Jello poke cake is so simple, and the ingredients might be items you have in your pantry!
- White Boxed Cake Mix + Ingredients on Box
- 4 Different Jello Flavors
- Cool Whip
How to Make
Step 1: The first thing you are going to do is take your white cake mix, and bake it in a 9×13 pan as directed. Use the ingredients the box calls for to mix it up.
Step 2: Once the cake is cooked, take a round spoon and poke holes all over the cake.
It will tear up the top a little, that is okay as you will cover it later.
Step 3: In separate bowls you will mix up all 4 of the Jello flavors you pick. I did red, orange, green and blue. You can use any colors you want.
Step 4: Pour the Jello onto areas of the cake. There will be liquid Jello leftover of each flavor.
Step 5: Place the cake in the fridge, covered. Refrigerate 3-4 hours. Then when done, top with whipped cream. Then if you want add sprinkles.
Slice and serve up this easy Jello cake and enjoy.
This rainbow poke cake needs to be stored in the refrigerator. Since this is a gelatin cake and whipped cream on top, it will spoil if not refrigerated.
Store the cake in the fridge for 4-5 days. If you don’t plan to eat the cake all at once, you can freeze for 3-4 months. Just cover well and freeze until you want to eat.
Thaw in the fridge overnight, or do a quick thaw on the counter for around 30 minutes to an hour.
Grab my Free Kitchen Conversions Printable! This shows you how many cups are in a quart, pint, etc. A great printable to keep handy for when you need to convert a recipe.
Variations To Cake
- Use only one flavor of Jello instead of 4 flavors.
- You can add some Jello powder into the whipped topping to add flavor to the frosting.
- Top the cake with sprinkles if you want.
- Pair with fresh fruit to decorate the cake.
- Use 8 ounces of softened cream cheese with the whipped cream, and mix well for a different frosting.
- Make sure to not overcook the cake, as it will dry the cake out.
- Use a cup of boiling water for each box of Jello mix. Then once all the granules melt, stir in the cold water.
- Use a pourable bowl or cup so you can direct where the Jello pours into the cake pan.
- If you overlap colors it will change up the colors of the cake.
- Make sure to refrigerate the cake for 3-4 hours before you spread it on the whipped cream.
Craving More Cake Recipes
- Lemon Bundt Cake
- Patriotic Cake
- Layered Strawberry Banana Cake
- Strawberry Blueberry Dump Cake
- Pina Colada Cupcakes
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
Rainbow Jello Poke Cake Recipe
- Box Cake Mix + Ingredients On Box
- Jello 3 ounce boxes – I used 4 flavors
- 1 Whipped Cream 8 ounce tub
- The first thing you want to do is preheat the oven and mix up the boxed white cake mix as directed on the box. I used a 9×13 pan and baked according to the box.
- Once the cake is done, remove and let it cool for about 10 minutes. Then use a wooden skewer and poke holes all over the cake. It will tear up the top of the cake slightly but that is okay.
- Now you will take 1 cup boiling water per Jello box. Mix the 3-ounce packet of Jello with the hot water. Stir till the granules are melted. Then pour in 1/8 cup cold water.
- Repeat till you do all 4 colors of Jello. You can do as many colors as you want. There will be a leftover Jello mixture.
- Carefully pour the Jello liquid onto portions of the cake. This will create a rainbow poke cake look.
- Cover and refrigerate the cake 3-4 hours.
- Once cooled top with a tub of whipped cream. Top with sprinkles if you want.
- Slice and serve up this colorful poke cake.
Let me know what you think of this Jello poke cake! It is one of our favorite poke cake recipes.