Strawberry Banana Cake is the delectable dessert you have been craving. It’s made with fluffy vanilla layered cake and has a homemade whipped cream frosting with bananas and strawberries. Lovely for a summer cake idea, or even an Easter cake idea for your family.
Table of contents
If you have ripe bananas you need to use up, consider this strawberry and banana recipe. It is such a fresh and delicious cake, that is so fun and different compared to banana bread.
Take this strawberry layered cake to dinner parties with friends, or keep it all to yourself. It’s one of those desserts that you will crave! It also makes a fantastic gift for a friend that had a new baby or when someone moves into the neighborhood.
🍌 Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Has the perfect amount of strawberries
- It’s super moist
- The ingredients are simple
- The frosting is so good you could eat it with a spoon
- Everyone will love it
- Great picnic dessert
- A fun Easter dessert
- Great for entertaining guests
- Easy to prepare
🍓 Ingredients Needed
Ingredients for Cake
- Eggs + Yolks
- Cake Flour
- Baking Powder
Ingredients Whipped Cream Frosting
- Whipping Cream
- Cream Cheese
🍰 How To Make
1. Prepare the cake pans and heat the oven.
2. Combine the butter and sugar in a mixer. Slowly add in eggs and egg yolks one at a time. Pour in vanilla and combine.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients until it’s combined.
4. Pour the batter into the pans evenly.
5. Bake the cakes for 25-35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack then take out of pans.
6. Prepare the frosting by mixing the whipping cream until stiff peaks have formed.
7. Mix the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in a separate bowl and mix until smooth.
8. Fold the whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Add in the bananas and strawberries.
9. Pipe the frosting on the top of one of the cakes. Add a layer of strawberries. Add the second layer and pipe more frosting on top. Chill, then serve!
Full directions and measurements for this strawberry banana layer cake are in the recipe card below.
The cake needs to be refrigerated until you are ready to serve. Place in airtight container and store. If you are going to take it to an event, keep it on ice, so it stays cold.
This cake is best served within 1-2 days of it being made. You will find the layered banana strawberry cake begins to dry out fast.
📌 Expert Tips
- Don’t overbake the cake, so it doesn’t dry out. It’s also a good idea to double-check your oven temperature from time to time, so baked goods don’t overbake.
- Use room temperature ingredients for best results. That’s the only way to ensure everything mixes properly.
- It’s vital to add the eggs and egg yolks one at a time. Otherwise, they won’t mix in properly.
👩🍳 Recipe FAQs
You only need clear vanilla extract for the frosting. Because regular vanilla is brown in color, it will change the way the frosting looks, and it won’t be bright white like it’s intended.
If you don’t have clear vanilla, you can use regular, but understand that it’s going to affect what the cake looks like.
Cake flour is where the strawberry banana cake bakes properly and is the right texture. If you don’t have cake flour, the great news is that you can make your own.
To make your own, take 1 cup of all-purpose flour and remove 2 tablespoons of flour. Then replace those tablespoons with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Mix well, and you will have cake flour! It’s that easy!
Sure! We love bananas and strawberries together, but you can use any kind of fruit you like. Raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, or blueberries would all be tasty options.
More Cake Recipes
- Instant Pot Lemon Cake
- 2 Ingredient Nutella Cake
- White Poke Cake with Chocolate Ganache
- German Chocolate Cake Balls
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter (room temp)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs (room temp)
- 2 large egg yolks (room temp)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (room temp)
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1½ cups whipping cream (very cold)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temp)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas (very ripe and mashed)
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°.Grease and flour 2-9" round cake pans. Placing a piece of parchment paper, cut to fit bottom of pan before greasing will help removal of cake after baking.
- Using the paddle attachment on the stand mixer, beat butter and sugar at
medium speed until mixture is light and fluffy. This should take 3-4 minutes. Stop to scrape sides of bowl frequently.
- Add eggs and egg yolks, one at a time, mixing after each until combined.
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, with your mixer on low, gradually alternate, adding flour mixture and egg/butter mixture, starting and ending with dry mixture until all is combined.
- Divide batter between the two prepared pans.
- Bake on center rack of the preheated oven for approx. 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack, then remove from pans.
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat whipping cream in a small bowl until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Using a separate large bowl, mix cream cheese, sugar and extract until
mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream mixture, then fold in the banana and 1-cup
of the strawberries. Reserve the remaining strawberries for tops of cakes.
- Using an extra-large piping tip, pipe icing on top of one of the cakes. Sprinkle half of the remaining 1 cup strawberries across the layer.
- Place second layer on top and ice that one, then top with remaining strawberries. Best to chill before serving. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
If you don't have a piping tip, simply spread icing with a knife or spoon.
This cake needs to be stored in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 585Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 153mgSodium: 352mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 1gSugar: 49gProtein: 7g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.