Peppermint Swiss Roll Cake is a decadent dessert that takes you back to being a kid again. A Swiss cake roll cake that is homemade with a peppermint cream cheese filling. The ultimate cake dessert.
Table of contents
If the combination of chocolate and peppermint gets you excited, you are in luck. This is the ultimate roll cake, and one bite tastes like you are in food heaven. The flavors unite again in my chocolate peppermint thumbprint cookies, too, so don’t miss out.
Don’t worry if you’ve never made a roll cake before, because it’s actually straightforward. I give you easy to follow steps so you can easily replicate it yourself. Grab a fork and dive into this chocolate peppermint roll cake!
I am an Amazon Affiliate, so if you purchase through my link I can earn a commission on sales.
🍰 Why you should try this
- Tastes heavenly
- This chocolate peppermint roll looks stunning
- Elegant dessert for any occasion
- Rich chocolate flavor
- Moist and fluffy chocolate roll cake
- Homemade peppermint cream cheese filling
Chocolate Log Cake:
- Egg Yolks
- Powdered Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Egg Whites
Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting:
🍬 How to Make
Prepare the Cake | Warm the oven, then beat the egg yolks. Combine the powdered sugar, flour, salt, and cocoa. Then add the dry ingredients to the egg yolks. Mix in the vanilla and egg whites.
Bake the Cake | Grease a cookie sheet and add parchment paper. Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Prepare the Frosting | For the Swiss roll filling recipe, you will grab your mixer. Blend the butter and cream cheese in a bowl. Once creamy and lump-free, add in the salt and vanilla. Slowly add in the powdered sugar until mixed well. Y
Roll the Cake | Use a dishtowel that has been dusted with powdered sugar. Carefully loosen the edges of the cake with a knife and invert the cake onto the towel. Remove the parchment paper carefully.
Roll the cake using the towel. After the cake is cool, add the peppermint cream cheese, add crushed peppermints, and roll like you would a jelly roll.
🔪 Expert Tips
- You can use a silicone mat instead of parchment paper to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan.
- When dusting the towel, you can use powdered sugar or cocoa powder. Both work well.
- Leave out the peppermint if you want a classic chocolate roll!
- When rolling the chocolate Swiss roll, it’s key to do it while the cake is warm. Otherwise, it’s going to be flexible.
- Many cake rolls do crack as you roll them. This is where the frosting swoops in and saves the day. No need to panic; just add plenty of icing.
👩🍳 Recipe FAQs
I love this homemade Swiss cake roll dessert. If you want more peppermint desserts here are a few more ideas to try.
- Easy Peppermint Fudge
- No-Bake Peppermint Lush Layered Dessert
- No-Bake Peppermint Cheesecake
- Peppermint Martini
Swiss Roll Cake Ingredients
- 5 large Egg yolks
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- ¼ cup Sifted flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 5 large Egg Whites (stiffly beaten)
Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup butter (unsalted, softened)
- 8 ounces Cream cheese block (softened)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 4 cups Powdered sugar
- ½ cup Red peppermint candies (crushed in a food processor)
- Preheat oven to 375° In a stand mixer beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored.
- Sift powdered sugar, flour, salt, and cocoa together in a bowl.
- Beat the dry ingredients into the egg yolks until well blended. Then add vanilla
- In a stand mixer, you will beat your egg whites until stiffly beaten. Fold in the egg whites into the cake batter.
- Spray a 10x15 cookie sheet (with an edge) with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper.
- Pour cake mixture in the baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the center springs back when pushed with a finger.
- Lightly dust a clean dish towel with powdered sugar. Loosen cake around edges with a knife and invert onto towel while still warm. Peel off parchment paper.
- Roll up the cake gently, rolling the towel in the cake.
- Wrap tightly in the towel to hold the shape.
- When the cake is fully cooled, you will blend up your peppermint cream cheese frosting ingredients. Whip until creamy.
- Spread cream cheese frosting on the cake, sprinkle with the crushed candy, and roll like a jelly roll.
- Dust peppermint Swiss roll cake with powdered sugar or a chocolate ganache. Slice and serve.
Store your Swiss roll cake in the refrigerator for storing.
You can freeze the cake if you don't plan to eat it all right away.
If you want a classic Swiss roll cake you can do a whipped cream filling or leave out the peppermint for a classic chocolate roll cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 0gSugar: 46gProtein: 6g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.