This Mexican chicken spaghetti casserole is a simple weeknight dinner that is family friendly! This casserole is made with shredded chicken, taco seasoning, spaghetti noodles in a creamy sauce topped with cheese. A meal in-one or you can pair with your favorite side dishes.
You will find this chicken and spaghetti casserole is a total comfort food. If you like ground beef try this taco spaghetti with ground beef for another dinner idea.
Why This Is An Easy Casserole
- Simple ingredients that you might already have in your pantry.
- Creamy and cheesy sauce recipe.
- A comfort food recipe the whole family will enjoy.
- Made with kid-friendly ingredients.
- You will use leftover chicken for easy prep. Or opt for rotisserie chicken.
- Thin spaghetti or angel hair pasta: This serves as the base of the dish and provides the necessary carbohydrates to make the dish filling.
- Cooked chicken: This adds protein to the dish and makes it more substantial.
- Mexican blend cheese: This adds a creamy, cheesy texture to the dish and complements the other flavors.
- Cream of chicken soup: This provides a creamy base for the sauce and adds flavor.
- Sour cream: This adds tanginess to the sauce and helps to thicken it.
- Salsa: This adds a spicy and flavorful element to the dish.
- Taco seasoning: This adds a savory, slightly spicy flavor to the dish. Consider making homemade taco seasoning!
- Fresh chopped cilantro: This is an optional topping that adds freshness and brightness to the dish.
How to Make
Full steps and measurements are featured below, this is a visual walk through.
- Start by cooking your pasta as directed on the package. Then you will add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Mix well and then pour into a prepared baking dish.
- Next you will take your shredded cheese and top the casserole.
- Bake as directed, and once bubbly and golden remove and let cool for a bit. Then dish up and serve.
Variations For Casserole
- Swap out the cream of chicken soup with cream of mushroom, cream of cheese, etc.
- Instead of salsa add in a can of Rotel or diced tomatoes. Leave the juice in the can.
- You can swap the spaghetti noodles with bowtie, rigatoni, or other shaped pasta.
- Swap out the Mexican cheese with pepper jack cheese, sharp cheddar, etc.
Refrigerate – You can refrigerate the chicken taco spaghetti for 2-3 days in the fridge. Just make sure it is in an airtight container.
Reheat – To reheat you can warm up the taco spaghetti in the microwave or in the oven. If you do opt for the over, cover the pasta in a casserole dish and bake until heated through.
Freezer Leftovers – You can freeze any of the pasta in the freezer for 1-2 months. Then thaw in the fridge overnight or reheat from frozen in the oven. Just make sure it is covered if you reheat.
Freezer Meal Directions
Want to make this into a freezer meal dinner? Here is how to make the casserole and bake from frozen.
How to Prep
- Make this casserole as directed in the regular directions.
- Instead of baking in the oven, you will cover with foil or place lid on an oven safe container.
- Then freeze for 3-4 months.
How to Heat
- To heat up make place the pan in the oven covered with foil in the oven at 350 degrees F.
- Cook for 45 minutes covered.
- Then uncover the casserole and finish cooking until the taco spaghetti is heated through.
When you cook the pasta, make sure to boil it for just a few minutes less than the package instructions suggest. This will help the pasta maintain its shape and texture when it bakes in the oven.
Mexican chicken spaghetti typically includes cooked spaghetti noodles, shredded or diced cooked chicken, and a spicy tomato-based sauce made with ingredients such as canned tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and sometimes jalapenos or other peppers. The sauce may also include cream cheese or Velveeta cheese to give it a creamy texture.
More Casserole Recipes
Do you love casseroles? If so, make sure to check out my Casserole Facebook group where it is only casseroles!
- Dorito Casserole
- Taco Cornbread Casserole
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Layered Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken Stuffing Casserole
Have you tried the recipe? If so, please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below or drop a comment. Also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, or My Facebook Group
Mexican Chicken Spaghetti
- 8 ounces thin spaghetti or angel hair pasta cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped or shredded
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese divided
- 2 cans 10 ounces each cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- Fresh chopped cilantro for topping optional
- Begin by greasing a baking dish with cooking spray and set it aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked pasta, shredded chicken, one cup of cheese, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, salsa, and taco seasoning.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread it evenly. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the spaghetti mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake it in a preheated oven at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Once done, remove the dish from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
- 9×13 Baking Dish