Are you on the hunt for a few new ways to use up fresh zucchini from the garden? If so, dive into this lemon zucchini bread. This is a sweet lemon bread that is studded with grated zucchini and topped with a lemon glaze poured on top. Slice and serve up this delicious lemon bread recipe.
This zucchini lemon bread is super moist and decadent. Whip this up with simple pantry staple ingredients. If you are a lover of zucchini like me then you might want to try a few of my other zucchini recipes. Try these lemon poppyseed zucchini muffins, chocolate zucchini muffins, or even this ground beef zucchini skillet.
What is lemon zucchini bread?
Lemon zucchini bread is a delicious quick bread recipe that uses fresh lemon juice and grated zucchini to create a sweet and moist bread. This is a dessert bread that is then covered in a lemon glaze. Slice and serve up for parties, take to a potluck, bake sale, or gift to a loved one.
- Flour – Reach for all-purpose flour for this recipe. Scoop it into the measuring cup and then level it off.
- Salt – This is going to really help elevate and balance out the flavors of the cake.
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder
- White Granulated Sugar
- Lemon – You will use zest and lemon juice.
- Vegetable Oil – This oil is going to keep your cake nice and moist.
- Eggs – Large, room temperature eggs.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds a nice balance of flavors to the bread.
- Zucchini – Grate your zucchini and remove excess liquid.
- Powdered Sugar – You will use this for the glaze with lemon juice.
How to Make
Full steps on how to make this lemon zucchini bread are featured at the bottom of the post. This is a quick walk-through of how it is made.
- Start by grating your zucchini. Place the grated zucchini in a strainer and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and let it sit for 10 minutes or so to release excess juice.
- In a bowl, you will add your flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and mix well. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, you will add your sugar and then add the lemon zest. Use your fingers and massage the zest with the sugar to help enhance the lemon flavor.
- Pour in the oil and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Next, add the eggs and mix in the lemon juice and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Stir in the grated zucchini and work in the flour a little at a time.
- Once well mixed pour into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake as directed and then allow the loaf cool.
- Then mix up the lemon glaze and drizzle over the top of the lemon bread.
- Make sure to remove excess water from the zucchini. This will help to make sure the excess liquid won’t water down the bread.
- Making sure to massage the lemon zest with sugar is going to really enhance the lemon flavor of the bread.
- Don’t overmix the bread or it can make it dense. Mix enough to ensure ingredients are combined well.
- The glaze is optional. You can serve plain or top with dusted powdered sugar for extra sweetness.
Refrigerate – I recommend refrigerating any of the lemon zucchini loaf in the fridge in an airtight container or sealed container. This bread will last up to 5 days in the fridge.
Freezer – Next if you want to freze the bread. Wrap well in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer bag or freezer container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Then thaw on the counter or thaw in the fridge overnight.
Generally no you will not need to remove any seeds before making zucchini bread. But if you are going to use a large zucchini then you might remove the larger seeds.
It will depend on the recipe as to what they recommend. You will find that some recipes do have you remove the excess liquid and others recommend not to squeeze as it can remove too much liquid. So it is always recommended to follow the recipe as directed.
If you slice your bread when it is warm it can cause the bread to crumble. Another thing to look for if there is too much moisture in the bread it will crumble as well.
Have you tried the recipe? If so, please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below or drop a comment. Also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, or My Facebook Group
Lemon Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini approximately 2 medium
- 1/2 cup powdered confectioner’s sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Then grease your loaf pan and set it aside.
- Grate your zucchini and then sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and place in a strainer and let it sit for about 10 minutes. This is going to help release excess liquid.
- In a small bowl you will add your flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix and set it aside.
- Then in a mixing bowl or with a stand mixer place the granulated sugar and add lemon zest. Use your hands to massage the lemon zest and the sugar together. This is going to release all the lemon flavor.
- Next add in the oil and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Let the sugar mixture get nice and fluffy.
- Then you will add in your eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Slowly mix in the flour.
- Squeeze the zucchini to release any extra liquid and place in the mixing bowl and mix it up.
- Pour into a greased pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the center of the loaf comes out clean of wet batter.
- Place the loaf pan on a cooling rack and allow it to cool.
- If you want to mix up the glaze add the powdered sugar and lemon in a bowl and whisk till nice and smooth.
- Once the bread has cooled a bit pour over the bread and allow it to dry about 20 minutes. Then slice and serve.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @bakemesomesugar and on Instagram @bakemesomesugar
Leave A Reply!