Instant Pot Tortellini Soup is a quick and easy hearty tortellini soup that is bursting with flavors. Savory sausage, cheese tortellini, vegetables all in a savory and tomato-based broth. This tortellini soup instant pot version is the best.
Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
Sasuage tortellini soup is one recipe I love to toss into our rotation when the weather gets cold. There is nothing more comforting than a cheese tortellini soup. Am I right?
Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup instructions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
How to Make Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
Full ingredients list and recipe card is at the bottom of the post!
Step 1: Start by turning your Instant Pot to saute. Then add in your sausage once the pot is hot. Cook until the sausage (try this meat chopper) is browned and fully cooked. You will add in your carrots and onions as it cooks as well to help soften them up.
Step 2: You will now turn the saute feature off and remove any excess grease from the sausage. Just be cautious as pot is really hot. Once done, add in your garlic and stir.
Step 3: Add in your chicken broth and then use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of your pot. It is important or you will run the risk of getting a burn notice if food is stuck on the bottom.
Step 4: Now toss in your Italian seasoning, cheese tortellini, and salt and pepper. Then place your tomato paste on top. DO NOT STIR.
Just make sure all the pasta is submerged in liquid.
Step 5: Seal and pressure cook on high/manual for 4 minutes. Followed by a quick release. Now turn on the saute mode, and pour in your heavy cream and diced kale.
Mix until kale is wilted to your preference! Then ladle up and serve your incredible cheesy sausage soup.
How to Thicken Tortellini Sausage Soup in Instant Pot
Want a thicker consistency? Turn the Instant Pot to saute, and then in a small bowl add 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water.
Pour into the pressure cooker and then stir until the tortellini soup becomes ultra-creamy. This is optional!
What Is The Best Tortellini To Use
When you go to make this Instant Pot sausage tortellini soup, you have options. From frozen tortellini to going to your refrigerator section at the store for fresh tortellini.
You can even buy dried tortellini if you prefer. I personally love fresh tortellini as it offers the best flavor for us. I buy the Rana brand the cheese one. But feel free to buy what works best for you!
What Does It Mean To Quick Release Pressure
If you are new to the Instant Pot, welcome! To quick release means once your timer is up on cooking, you will use a wooden spoon to push down or twist the valve on top of the Instant Pot.
This will release all the pressure that is built up in your pressure cooker. A lot of steam will spray out. This is normal and once the silver pin drops, you can safely open the lid.
Natural release means you let the screen show L and then a timer will begin. If you do a 10 minute natural release you would then wait for it to say L010. Then you would release any pressure left with a spoon, and then once pin drops open your lid.
Could I Use Ground Beef Instead Of Sausage
If you don’t have or care for sausage go ahead and cook up some ground beef. It will not be as flavorful, but it can be swapped. You can also do chicken diced up if you prefer.
Just make sure to cook up your chicken fully or use pre-shredded chicken.
I hope you guys love this cheese tortellini soup!
Want More Instant Pot Comfort Food Recipes
- Hot Beef Sandwich Instant Pot Recipe with Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- Easy Instant PotJalapeno Popper Pasta
- Instant Pot Cubed Steak
Can I Swap Kale Out In This Recipe
Feel free to use fresh spinach leaves, or leave the greens out altogether if you are not a fan! I love the color it adds and flavor but it doesn’t have to be used in the recipe.
Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound ground pork sausage I used 16 ounces
- 1 cup carrots diced small
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 6 cups chicken broth can sub vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 can tomato paste 6 ounces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 package cheese tortellini 12 ounces
- 3 cups kale chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Start by turning your Instant Pot to saute. Then once the pot is hot add in your ground sausage, carrots and onions. You will cook until the sausage is fully cooked, crumbled and browned. Drain off excess grease when done.
- Now turn off the saute feature, and stir in your garlic. Stir for just a few seconds. You want it to become fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken stock, and use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot. You need to lift up any stuck on food, as this can give you a burn notice.
- Now you will add in your Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper, tortellini, and push the tortellini into the stock so it is all covered. Add in your tomato paste, DO NOT STIR.
- Place your lid on the pressure cooker. Make sure your valve is sealed on lid. Select high pressure/manual for 4 minutes. Followed by a quick release.
- Open the lid and pour in your heavy cream and kale. Stir until the kale wilts to the texture you want.
- Now you can mix the cornstarch and cold water together and stir into soup to help it thicken up if you want a thicker broth. If not you can skip this part.
- Serve your sausage tortellini soup with parmesan cheese on top!