Instant Pot Sausage Rigatoni gives you that slow-simmered taste in a matter of minutes. Pressure cooker rigatoni is made with Italian sausage, marinara sauce, rigatoni pasta and more.
The whole family will say this is a family favorite in our house. Sprinkle fresh parmesan on top of the pasta and ring the dinner bell. This is a must for pressure cooking lovers.
This Instant Pot sausage rigatoni recipe can also be made into a freezer meal. Place items in a bag, freeze, and then dump the frozen content into the pressure cooker and cook as directed. This makes dinner any night of the week a breeze.
Then use the leftover pasta to eat another night of the week, or pack for a simple lunch later. The mild Italian sausage really enhances the flavor of the pasta and the doctored up marinara sauce is a success
This Instant Pot Recipe Is..
Here are a few of the many reasons we love this Instant Pot rigatoni recipe. It is one of our favorites, and I hope you enjoy making it in your electric pressure cooker like we do.
- Easy weeknight dinner
- Make into a 4-course wine dinner
- Great for busy families
- Perfect Sunday dinner for a crowd
- Hearty pasta dinner
- Family friendly (kid approved)
Here is what you will need for this recipe. The full measurements are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a quick overlook.
- Olive Oil
- Italian Sausage (hot Italian sausage or mild works)
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Rigatoni (or tubular pasta)
- Marinara Sauce
- Heavy Cream
- Parmesan Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
Are you making these common Instant Pot mistakes? If you are new to the pressure cooker life, make sure to read this post as well.
What To Serve With Rigatoni
You can eat this alone or pair with a side or two. We generally do a salad and breadsticks or pull-apart rolls.
How To Make
Full steps are in the printable recipe card. This is a visual walk through on how it is made. Scroll to bottom of post for the recipe card.
Start by turning your Instant Pot to Saute, and cooking up your sausage. Add in the onions to the mixture, and cook to soften the onions.
Once cooked, pour the water or beef broth into the Instant Pot. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pot. This is needed to remove stuck on bits to prevent the burn notice.
Add in the seasonings, and then top with pasta. Press the pasta into the water and then pour the marinara sauce over the top. Do not stir at this point.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot. Turn nozzle to sealed and then pressure cook 4 minutes, with a quick release of pressure.
Once done, stir in the heavy cream, and add in the cheese. Top with additional cheese and fresh basil.
How To Make Into A Freezer Meal
How to Make Instant Pot Rigatoni Freezer Meal
Add your cooked sausage and cooked onion into a freezer bag.
Now add in your pasta sauce, seasonings and seal up the bag. Freeze for up to three months.
When ready to cook, place the frozen mix in Instant Pot.
Add pasta in, and cover with beef broth or water. Make sure all the pasta is covered in liquid. You will use around 3-4 cups of broth.
Cook on high pressure sealed for 4 minutes, with a quick release of pressure.
Open the lid and pour in the cheese and then fresh basil or fresh parsley, and serve.
Storage Of Leftovers
Refrigerate any leftovers you have for up to three days. Place the leftover pasta in an airtight container. Then when you want to eat warm in the microwave or on the stovetop.
If you freeze any leftovers, just know the pasta can soften once reheated. But it will still taste really good.
Variations To Recipe
- Ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken in replace of sausage.
- Use pasta sauce instead of marina sauce
- Fresh parsley instead of basil
- Use chicken broth instead for added flavor.
- Use 2 fresh garlic cloves minced, add in once the meat is almost cooked.
- Swap cheese out with what you want, slice of goat cheese, ricotta cheese, etc.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes for spice factor.
Frequently Asked Questions
More Instant Pot Dinner Recipes
- Instant Pot Italian Beef
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Lo Mein
- Crumble Burgers Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Chicken Caesar Wraps
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin
Have you tried the recipe? If so, please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below or drop a comment. Also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, or My Facebook Group!
Print Recipe Card
Instant Pot Sausage Rigatoni
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 24 ounce marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup diced onion yellow or white (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8-10 ounces Rigatoni Pasta
- 3 -4 cups water or beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cups mozzarella shredded
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan shredded
- On saute add in 1 teaspoon of oil, and your Italian Sausage and add in onion if you would like. Cook until all the sausage is cooked through.
- Then you will add in the water or the broth, and use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom to remove on stuck on bits. This is a must to prevent burn notice.
- Pour in the seasonings, and then add in the rigatoni pasta. Press the pasta into the liquid. You will use 3 to 4 cups of broth, you want to make sure the pasta is covered, or it won't cook.
- Add in the marinara sauce, and do not stir. I poured evenly over the top.
- Seal the vent so it is set to sealing. Pressure cook high manual pressure for 5 minutes, with a quick release once done.
- Turn off the pot and switch to saute. Pour in the heavy cream and stir. Then add in the parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Stir until melted and fully mixed. Cook for a few minutes until the mixture is thick.
- Turn off and serve with fresh basil and additional cheese.
Cooking from frozen:1. Place your pasta in the bottom of the pot with a drizzle of oil. Take your broth or water and fully cover the pasta. 2. Then add in your frozen meat mixture. Seal and cook for 5 minutes with a quick release. 3. Turn Instant Pot to saute and add in your parmesan, ricotta, and mozzarella and mix until fully melted, then serve. Note: If the mixture is not fully cooked you can always finish warming on the saute method or cover and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Ground Beef – You can use ground beef in replace of Italian sausage if you would like.
Have you tried Instant Pot Sausage Rigatoni?