Learn how to make this chicken tortilla soup that takes just 30 minutes to make. Pre-cooked shredded chicken, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, seasonings, and topped with tortilla chips, shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
This Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe Is..
Quick and Easy – You will use pre-cooked chicken so it speeds up the cook time tremendously. Use leftover chicken, or just cook and shred some boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs for the soup.
Flavorful – This soup is loaded with flavor, and the topping options are endless. From fresh cilantro, homemade tortilla strips, sour cream, salsa, and more. Use any and all your favorite toppings.
Hearty Bowl Of Soup – This is a hearty soup that is bursting with flavor and comfort in every bite. A great recipe for the colder months this winter.
Family Favorite – This is an original recipe we have used for years in our house. This chicken soup is total comfort food.
Equipment You Will Need
The full measurements of ingredients and directions are at the bottom of the post in the printable recipe card. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the post.
Olive Oil – A little oil is going to ensure the veggies soften and add flavor to the soup.
Onion, Jalapeno, Garlic – All these of these will truly transform the flavor of your taco soup recipe.
Chicken Broth – The broth enhances the flavor tremendously and really adds richness to the soup.
Diced Tomatoes and Rotel – You will use a can of diced tomatoes and a can of Rotel which is diced tomatoes with green chiles.
Black Beans – Make sure to rinse and drain the beans before adding into the soup.
Cooked Chicken – Shredded or diced chicken will be used for this recipe. If you do not have pre-cooked chicken then just cook up some raw chicken and shred.
Corn – Drain corn or use frozen corn. Either will work for this recipe.
Cumin and Chili Powder – The two spices I used to flavor the soup even more. Then season with salt and pepper.
How To Make
Full steps on how to make chicken tortilla soup are in the printable recipe card. Scroll to the bottom of the post to see full directions.
Step One: Saute Vegetables
Heat oil in Dutch oven or soup pot, and heat over medium heat. Then add in the onions and saute till 2-3 minutes. You want the onions to soften and turn lightly golden. Then add in the garlic cloves and jalapeno. Cook another 2-3 minutes.
Step Two: Simmer Broth Mixture
Add in the chicken broth, tomatoes, and Rotel mixture. Bring the mixture to a simmer on medium-high heat. Once it boils reduce heat to just simmer.
Step Three: Add Chicken and Beans
Next add in chicken, beans, corn, and seasoning. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
Once it is done simmering, serve with your favorite toppings.
Variations and Tips
Here are ways you can change up this easy weeknight meal to fit your whole family.
- You can add 2 tablespoons taco seasoning instead of spices in this recipe.
- Squeeze lime juice in bowl right before serving. Serve lime wedges on the side for your family.
- If you do not like spice you can swap jalapeno with bell peppers. I recommend green bell pepper.
- You can serve with corn tortilla strips or flour tortillas that you fry up in oil to make crispy tortilla strips to sprinkle on top.
- Swap black beans with pinto beans if you don’t like the texture of black beans.
Refrigerate – Store your leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. You will be able to reheat in the microwave or even in a small pot on the stovetop. This Mexican-inspired soup reheats really well.
How to freeze – You can also freeze any of the soup you don’t plan to eat right away. It will freeze for up to three months. Just store in a freezer bag or freezer friendly container. Then thaw in the fridge overnight before you reheat.
Print The Recipe Card
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 20 ounce can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 6 ounce can of Rotel with juice
- 1 can 14 ounce can black beans
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil into Dutch oven or soup pan, and heat over medium heat.
- Add in the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until it softened and lightly golden brown.
- Next add in the diced jalapeno pepper and garlic cloves. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Next add in the broth, tomatoes with juice, and Rotel with juice. Heat on medium-high heat. Once it boils, reduce heat to simmer.
- Pour in the cooked chicken, black beans and corn, along with seasonings. Cook for 10 minutes while it simmers.
- Then season with salt and pepper to taste and add any of your favorite garnishments on top of the soup.
- Soup Ladle