Instant Pot chicken and mashed potatoes is a meal in one pot! You will cook your chicken and potatoes to make a comforting dinner at home, that takes no time to whip up. Chicken and mashed potatoes are a favorite of ours.
Table of contents
If you are looking for more Instant Pot dinner ideas, I have a few more for you to check out. Butternut squash soup, 3 bean chicken chili, or try this tortellini and marinara sauce for a weeknight dinner.
Comfort food is what we crave when the weather gets cold and the nights are shorter. I used chicken breasts and it works great. But feel free to reach for bone-in chicken, just adjust the cooking time.
🐔Why You Want To Make This Chicken Instant Pot Recipe
- Simple Ingredients
- Quick Cooking Time
- Less Mess Than Stovetop Cooking
- Versatile in Ingredients You Use
- Use Fresh or Frozen Chicken (skip saute if you use frozen)
- A Great Starter Pressure Cooker Recipe
- Quick and Easy!
🧄 Main Ingredients
- Boneless Chicken
- Salt & Pepper
- Sage (optional)
- Heavy Cream
- Sour Cream
Simple ingredients that give you a wholesome dinner.
🧈 How to Make
Turn your Instant Pot to saute and add your oil into the pot. Season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
Place your chicken in the Instant Pot making sure to not overlap and cook until browned. If you need batch cook the chicken.
Remove the chicken and turn the saute feature off. Add in your water, and use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pot from any stuck on bits.
Add in the potatoes, butter, garlic, and sage. Place seared chicken on top of the potatoes.
Place lid on the pressure cooker, and set to sealing. Cook for 10 minutes on high pressure, with a quick release of pressure.
Remove the chicken and set aside. Then take your potatoes and drain off the liquid.
Add in 3 tablespoons of butter, sour cream, and heavy cream. Whip up into mashed potatoes.
🥔 Meal Prep And Storage
If you want to use this chicken and potatoes to meal prep with, go right ahead. Make this up and then place in single-serve containers for grab and go lunches or reheat for a dinner.
Your chicken and potatoes will store for 2-3 days in the refrigerator when stored properly.
🍴 Expert Tips
- Yukon gold potatoes are what I used as they provide a super creamy texture. Feel free to replace it with russets or other starchy potatoes.
- You can swap with bone-in chicken or other cuts, just if you use a larger chicken piece adjust the cooking time.
- Chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit internal temperature.
- Whip up a homemade gravy to pour over the top.
- You can double the recipe if you would like. Just don’t go over the max fill line on the side of your pressure cooker.
👩🍳 Recipe FAQs
Yes, it is okay to cook raw chicken with potatoes. You just want to ensure that when you are done cooking, the chicken is fully cooked.
You are more than welcome to use frozen chicken in your Instant Pot. If you want to use frozen with this potatoes and chicken, just skip the searing of the chicken.
Once your Instant Pot is done cooking, you will see it start to count, which means it is naturally releasing pressure. To quick release you will take a wooden spoon and carefully push the valve over or push it down, so steam sprays out of the spout. This is called quick release of pressure.
Craving More Dinner Ideas
- Instant Pot Soups (over 30 recipes)
- Hibachi Fried Rice and Chicken
- Korean Spicy Noodles
- Mexican Casserole
- Chicken Lime Soup
Instant Pot Chicken and Mashed Potatoes
- 3-4 small chicken breasts 1 pound total
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb Yukon gold or Russet potatoes quartered, peeled
- Water or chicken stock -enough to cover the potatoes about 2 cups
- 5 tablespoons butter divided
- 5 fresh sage leaves minced (about 1 tablespoon) optional
- 2 garlic cloves minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- To start you will add your oil to the Instant Pot and turn on the saute feature. While the oil is getting hot, you will season your chicken breast with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sear your chicken in the oil on both sides till golden brown. Remove and place on a plate to the side. You will not fully cook the chicken, just brown it a bit. This locks in flavor.
- Now pour in your water and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Next, add in your peeled and quartered potatoes, 2 tablespoons of butter, sage leaves (optional), and garlic.
- Place your seared chicken on top of the potatoes, and place the lid on the Instant pot and set to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, followed by a quick release of pressure.
- Remove chicken, and then drain off liquid form the potatoes.
- Add in the heavy cream, sour cream and 3 tablespoons of butter. Mash up your potatoes.
- Slice and serve your chicken with the mashed potatoes for an easy and delicious dinner.
- Make sure your chicken reaches 165 degrees internal temperature.
- You can swap out the Yukon gold potatoes if you don’t have them on hand. Russet, yellow, or even red potatoes work.
- You can use cream cheese in replace of heavy cream in the mashed potatoes.
- If you use bone in chicken just make sure you cook until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days in the proper airtight container.
- You can use a potato masher, Imersion blender, or a standard blender.
- Swap the sage with thyme or even rosemary if you want to change up the flavor of the dish.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Pinterest @bakemesomesugar and on Instagram @bakemesomesugar
Leave A Reply!