Skip takeout and whip up this Hibachi Instant Pot Fried Rice! I added chicken to this fried rice so it was a complete meal in one pot! Diced chicken, white rice, veggies, scrambled egg, all in one Hibachi style fried rice, in the pressure cooker!
If you are a fan of Japanese Hibachi rice you might love this version. I made it with chicken but you can use this same recipe and make it meatless!
Table of contents
Japanese fried rice is one of our favorites. I love the frozen peas and carrots you toss in this recipe. It adds so much flavor to the rice and gives the hibachi chicken a nice blend of flavor.
🍚 Why This Recipe Works
- Easy prep and cook time
- 30 minutes (plus Instant Pot coming to pressure)
- Leftovers of your restaurant quality rice
- Meal prep with leftovers
🥢 Main Ingredients
White Rice | I used a short grain white rice for this recipe. It soaks up the flavor of the sauce, mixes great with the chicken, and spices.
Homemade Sauce | Soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar and chicken stock help give this Hibachi style rice tons of flavor.
Shredded chicken and eggs | You can’t have fried rice without eggs. Then the chicken adds tons of protein!
Step 1: Start by prepping your vegetables. You want to dice your onions up into small pieces, and the green onions. Place them to the side.
Step 3: Rinse your rice in a colander and drain off the water. It will help to remove the excess starch from your short-grain white rice.
Step 4: Now you will want to add your 2 cups of chicken stock into the Instant Pot. Add in your rinsed rice. Seal the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
Do a manual high pressure for 3 minutes, followed by 10 minutes of natural release. Then open the lid and check out the Instant Pot hibachi fried rice.
Step 5: Fluff the rice and then remove it from the Instant Pot. Then wash or clean the Instant Pot liner out really good. This is important or you will get a burn notice.
Step 6: Now turn your clean Instant Pot to saute and add in 1 tablespoon sesame oil, and onions. Saute for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step 7: Add in your peas and carrots and stir well. You want to cook for around a minute or two to help thaw the veggies.
Step 8: Then you will add in your butter and brown sugar, and mix until the brown sugar and butter melt. Stir the mixture occasionally.
Step 9: Push the veggies to the side and add in your eggs to the empty side, and mix and make scrambled eggs.
Step 10: Now you will add in the chicken, rice, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and mix on the saute mode for around 2 minutes.
Step 11: Turn off the Instant Pot, sprinkle with your green onions, and dish up your delicious fried rice.
- If you use a different variety of rice, make sure your cook your rice according to the variety of rice.
- Making sure to rinse your rice in water first, helps release all the extra starches in the rice. Making it less mushy.
- Make sure your valve on the Instant Pot is set to sealing, then allow it to natural release for 10 minutes.
- You can leave out the chicken if you want just a fried rice without the chicken.
- To make vegetarian use a vegetable stock and skip the chicken.
Jasmine or other white short grain rice is used in a classic Hibachi rice. Many chefs use a day old rice to allow a more sticky texture.
The difference between Chinese fried rice and Japanese fried rice is the type of rice. Chinese uses a longer grain rice, where Japanese uses a shorter grain rice.
Hibachi fried rice isn’t the healthiest. You have a sweet and salty sauce, that is filled with a white rice. I recommend to eat your fried rice in moderation.
I used a white long grain rice for this hibachi recipe. You can use any longer white rice if you would like.
Go right ahead and make this hibachi fried rice without the chicken if you would like. Just leave it out, and it will taste just as good.
More Instant Pot Rice Recipes
Instant Pot Fried Rice
- 2 cups white rice shorter grain
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb chicken breast cooked and cubed
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil divided
- ½ white onion diced
- 1 12 oz bag frozen peas and carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 green onion stalks diced
- Wash and cut veggies. Dice onion and green onion and set aside.
- Cook chicken, or use rotisserie chicken as a shortcut! Cut into small strips and set aside.
- Rinse rice in a colander, and pour off the water.
- Add your rinsed rice to the Instant Pot along with 2 cups of chicken stock.
- Place the lid on your pressure cooker and make sure the valve is set to sealing. Cook high pressure for 3 minutes followed my 10 minutes natural release. Then push off any remaining pressure.
- Fluff your rice, remove from Instant Pot and set aside. Make sure to clean your pressure cooker to remove any rice mixture.
- Now you will add in sesame oil to clean Instant Pot, and turn the saute feature on. Add in your diced onions and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add in your peas and carrots and cook for a minute, to help thaw them out.
- Add in your butter and brown sugar and mix until the mixture is cooked.
- Push your vegetables to one side of the Instant Pot, and add in your 2 scrambled eggs to the empty side. Cook till the scrambled eggs are cooked.
- Now add in your cooked chicken, rice vinegar, and soy sauce. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Turn off your saute feature and top your Instant Pot fried rice with green onions and dish up your Hibachi fried rice!
- Use a short grain white rice for this recipe. You can use long grain it will just change the texture.
- You can have a shortcut and use pre-cooked chicken.
- Leave out the brown sugar or replace with a sugar substitute if you want a sugar free version.
- Leave the chicken out and replace with vegetable stock for a vegetarian fried rice.
- This Instant Pot Hibachi fried rice is great leftover so meal prep some lunches or dinner for the week.
Let me know how you like this Instant Pot chicken and fried rice.