This hashbrown breakfast casserole is the perfect throw together casserole perfect for your morning start. This casserole dish is filled with an egg mixture, hashbrowns, sausage, and we can’t forget the cheddar cheese. Loaded with flavor and comfort is what you will find in this hashbrown casserole.
If you are looking for an overnight casserole, you found it. This is an easy breakfast casserole that is great for Christmas morning. This can easily become a holiday breakfast that can be a make ahead dish to bake the next morning. Just store in the fridge until you are ready to bake.
This Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole Recipe Is..
- Great for the entire family
- Feeds a crowd
- Cheesy hashbrown breakfast casserole
- Overnight breakfast casserole (or bake right away)
- Weekend breakfast or Weekday
- Breakfast Bake
- Versatile in ingredients used
Here is all it takes to make this cheesy goodness in this simple casserole.
Eggs – I used large whole eggs for this recipe. If you want to lighten up the dish, use egg whites if you prefer. It is up to you.
Breakfast Sausage – So I used sausage for this breakfast bake. But, you can swap with Canadian bacon, bacon, etc. Just make sure the meat is fully cooked before you mix in the casserole.
Hashbrowns – I used diced hashbrowns that I got in the freezer section at our grocery store.
Cheese – Cheddar cheese is a great pairing, Monterey Jack, or even a sharp cheddar can be used. Or spice it up with pepper jack cheese.
Seasonings – Garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper are used for seasoning.
Milk – The milk is going to help allow the eggs to become fluffy as it bakes up.
How to Make
Full steps on how to make this sausage hashbrown breakfast casserole, are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a quick walkthrough.
Step One: Preheat your oven and grease your 9×13 baking dish. Cook your breakfast sausage in a skillet on medium heat. Cook until the sausage is fully cooked, then drain grease.
Step Two: Then pour your diced potatoes in the bottom of the pan.
Step Three: Next in a bowl you will add in your eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and milk. Whip up until it is fully mixed.
Step Four: Pour the cooked sausage over the top of the diced potatoes. Then top with your shredded cheese.
Step Five: Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the shredded hash brown and sausage.
Step Six: Cover and bake as directed. Then you will uncover the last 20 minutes and cool until the top is golden brown.
Tips and Variations To Casserole
- Saute diced onions and diced bell peppers in a large skillet till softened. Then mix it in with the potatoes.
- Use turkey sausage instead of pork sausage.
- Swap sausage with bacon, Canadian bacon, etc.
- Toss in some diced mushrooms.
- The milk helps to give your eggs that fluffy eggs texture.
- You can use a sweet onion or white onion for dicing up and adding into the casserole for added flavor.
- Use chorizo for a spicy flavor. Or add in some hot sauce to eggs for another way to spice it up.
Refrigerate – You can store any of your casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Then reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
Freezing – Feel free to freeze this casserole as well. Just store in an airtight container that is freezer friendly. Freeze for 2-3 months, and then reheat from frozen or thaw in the fridge overnight.
How to Make Ahead This Breakfast Casserole
- Cook the sausage as directed, until it is fully cooked and crumbled. Drain off grease.
- Place hash browns in the casserole dish, then top with the cooked sausage.
- Add in the cheese, and then mix up the eggs with milk and spices. Pour over the top. Then wrap in plastic wrap or foil.
- Place in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Place dish in the oven and cook at 375 degrees for one hour. covered with foil. Then remove the foil and cook another 20-30 minutes or until the dish is cooked through and golden brown on top.
- Blackstone Omelette
- How to Cook Bacon In The Oven
- Blueberry Pancake Muffins
- Donut Holes
- Raspberry Breakfast Braid
Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 1 32 ounce bag of hashbrowns
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Then grease your 9×13 baking dish.
- Next you will begin cooking your sausage in a skillet on medium heat. Cook the sausage until it is fully cooked. Drain the crumbled sausage.
- Pour your hash browns in the baking dish and spread it out evenly. Next add in the ground sausage on top.
- Add your layer of shredded cheese.
- In a bowl add your eggs, milk, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Whisk to combine. Then pour the mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Bake for 50 minutes covered with aluminum foil. Then remove foil and cook an additional 20-25 minutes or until the eggs are set, the top is golden brown and heated all the way through.