Cheesy chicken pasta is one of our favorites. If you are looking for an Instant Pot cheesy chicken pasta give this recipe a try today. Diced chicken, penne pasta, broccoli florets, and a cheesy base.
Cheesy Chicken Pasta
Chicken cheese pasta is a one pot dinner recipe the whole family can enjoy! Whip this up and dive in fork first! The ultimate comfort food recipe.
- Boneless chicken
- Penne Pasta
- Heavy Cream
🥦 How to Make
Full ingredient list and directions for this pressure cooker cheesy chicken recipe are listed below in the printable recipe card.
Start by seasoning your chicken with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Then pour the oil in the Instant Pot and turn on the saute feature.
Saute your chicken to brown and create a golden crust on the outside of the chicken. You will cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. The chicken will not be cooked through.
Cancel the saute mode. Remove chicken from the Instant Pot and place on a plate. Then pour in your broth and use it to deglaze the bottom of the pot. This is important.
Now return chicken to the Instant Pot, top with the penne pasta. Make sure to press all the pasta into the liquid so it is fully covered. Do not stir.
Place lid on the pressure cooker, and pressure cook on high, for 6 minutes followed by a quick release. I then remove the chicken and dice it up. You can dice it up or leave it whole. It is up to you.
Now add in your shredded cheese, heavy cream, and broccoli. Stir well until all the cheese is melted.
Now place the lid back on the Instant Pot and have the pot off. Then just let it sit for 5 minutes or so to help warm the broccoli and fully melt the cheese. It will also soak up excess liquid.
This one pot recipe is one of my favorite Instant Pot chicken recipes for a busy weeknight!
Can I Use Bone In Chicken
I prefer to use chicken breasts or tenderloins for this recipe. I dice up the cooked chicken so I prefer boneless. If you do bone-in you will have to make sure no bones get in the mixture when you remove it.
Can I Swap Out The Type of Pasta Used
Go ahead and use any pasta you have on hand. Elbow, rigatoni, shells, all would work in this pasta dish.
I loved to use penne but I will use whatever I have in the cupboard that is a smaller sized pasta.
Here Are More Chicken Recipes To Make
- Penne Alla Vodka with Chicken
- Grilled Huli Huli Chicken
- Chicken Club Wraps
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
Go ahead and store your chicken pasta in an airtight container. This is a great dish that you can use to meal prep for a few days.
It reheats really nicely, and you can warm up in the microwave, or even the oven. If you do the oven you might add a little broth to the mixture to help add moisture to prevent it drying out.
Unfortunately due to the heavy cream, you will find this dish does not freeze well. It will kind of curdle and separate when you try to reheat it.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt with parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (16 ounces) box penne pasta (or other smaller pasta)
- 5 to 6 cups chicken broth (5 cups for al dente pasta and 6 cups for softer pasta)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar, shredded off block
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets, slightly thawed
- Season your chicken with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic salt with parsley.
- Turn the saute feature on your Instant Pot and add in your oil. Let it get hot and then palce your chicken breast in the pot. Let it brown each side. This takes 3-4 minutes. It will not fully cook the chicken.
- Remove the chicken to a plate. Turn the saute feature off. Pour in your chicken broth, and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pot. Remove any stuck on bits of food.
- Add your chicken back to the pot, and pour the penne pasta on top. Make sure to press down the pasta into the liquid. Do not stir.
- Place the pressure cooker lid on the Instant Pot and the valve set to sealed. Do a high pressure/ manual for 6 minutes followed by a quick release.
- Remove chicken and dice up. Return diced chicken to pot.
- Pour in your partially thawed broccoli, shredded cheese and heavy cream. Stir well.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure it is off. This is going to just keep the mixture warm and help warm up the broccoli and let the heavy cream soak into the pasta.
- Once cheese is melted and broccoli warmed, scoop up your cheesy chicken pasta and serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 577Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 191mgSodium: 3993mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 54g
This information is automatically calculated by third-party software, including but not limited to the Create or Bake Me Some Sugar. For accurate nutrition, I suggest running the ingredients in your own system to get a more accurate reading. Nutritional information is approximate and automatically calculated, and should only be viewed as an indication.