Broccoli Cheese Soup is the ultimate comfort food! Thick creamy cheese-based soup loaded with tender broccoli and carrots in every bite. Do a slow cooker, stovetop, Instant Pot, or even Ninja Foodi cook method on this soup.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
This broccoli cheese soup recipe is so easy to make. Fresh broccoli, onion, sliced carrots, broth, heavy cream, cheese, and a cornstarch slurry are all you need. An easy ninja foodi soup to make on a cold day.
How to Make Ninja Foodi Broccoli Cheese Soup
Step 1: Start by prepping your ingredients. Cut off the stem of the broccoli and cut into smaller pieces. Do the same with carrots.
Step 2: On the saute feature you will add your butter to the Ninja Foodi. Let it meltdown and then toss in your diced onions, and saute till softened and fragrant.
Step 3: Once ready, add in your chicken stock, broccoli, carrots, and salt and pepper. Give a stir, and then place your pressure cooker lid on, making sure valve is set to sealing.
Cook for 4 minutes on high, followed by a quick release of pressure.
Step 4: Add in your heavy cream, cheddar cheese, and then stir well. Once well mixed and cheese is fully melted, add in your cornstarch slurry.
Stir more and if need turn on saute until soup thickens.
Can I Use Frozen Broccoli
Feel free to reach for frozen broccoli in replace of fresh in this soup. Just toss the broccoli in frozen, and keep the cook time the same.
It will just take a little bit longer to come to pressure is all.
How to Make Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Saute onions on the stove with butter. When softened, transfer to slow cooker.
- Add in broth, broccoli, chicken stock, carrots, and salt and pepper.
- Cook on low 3-4 hours.
- Stir in heavy cream, pre-shredded cheese or fresh off the block, and stir until melted.
- Mix up the cornstarch and water and pour in and stir. Let it cook another 10-20 minutes if need be to help thicken.
This is very easily adapted to a crockpot broccoli cheese soup. So feel free to also cook on the stovetop as well.
How To Make Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
You will follow the same instructions as the Ninja Foodi! Just cook in your Instant pot as directed! This broccoli cheddar soup is so delicious, I can’t rave enough.
Variations To Soup
- Add in a splash of hot sauce for heat
- Mix in a little paprika and dry mustard for added flavor 1/4 teaspoon each
- Dice up and toss in some cooked chicken to make heartier
- Swap out the type of cheese you use. Block cheese you shred is best for this soup, otherwise, it can get stringy.
- You can use an immersion blender to get rid of thicker pieces of broccoli if you want a creamier soup.
Tools Needed For Recipe
- Ninja Foodi or other appliance for cooking
- Immersion Blender (optional)
- Cheese Grater
- Vegetable chopper – great for carrots
How To Store Leftover Soup
If you have leftover soup go right ahead and place in an airtight container and store in the fridge. The soup will store for 3-4 days. Just use your best judgment in terms of quality.
Does Broccoli Cheddar Soup Freeze Well
Unfortunately this soup does not freeze well. Due to the heavy cream and cheese used, you will find it curdles and changes texture once it is thawed.
If you want to try it, I recommend only freezing around a cup or so that way you can see how you like it.
Can I Make This Broccoli Soup Vegetarian
Use a vegetable stock instead of a chicken stock. Then you are all set. If you want to make it vegan, then use a milk replacement in replace of cheese and dairy.
If You Love Comfort Foods, Try These Other Recipes
- Patty Melt Sliders
- Sausage Biscuit Breakfast Casserole
- Chicken Pasta with Broccoli
- Slow Cooker Pork Loin with Apples
Ninja Foodi Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup shredded and diced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded off a block of cheese
- On your Ninja Foodi select the saute feature, and add in your butter.
- Once melted, add in your onions and saute for a few minutes until they are softened.
- Pour in chicken stock, broccoli, carrots, salt, and pepper. Place the pressure cooker lid on the Ninja Foodi and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
- Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes followed by a quick release of pressure.
- Now add in your shredded cheese and heavy cream. Stir until melted.
- Now in a small bowl mix your cold water and cornstarch together. Stir into the soup and stir. If need turns the saute feature on and stir continuously. The cornstarch will thicken up the soup.
- When the broccoli cheddar soup is thickened, turn off Ninja foodi saute, and ladle up the soup and pour into bowls.