Shrimp salad is one of my favorite ways to enjoy shrimp. Tender and juicy shrimp, crisp celery and red onion, paired with a creamy dressing. An easy shrimp recipe perfect for a weeknight dinner or lunch. Give this salad with shrimp a try!
This is a great healthy dinner idea, lunch recipe, or even a snack. Pair your cold shrimp salad with Ritz crackers or make into a lettuce wrap.
If you are a fan of cold salad this is a great one to incorporate. Plus it is a healthy shrimp recipe to incorporate into your diet.
This Shrimp Salad Recipe Is…
- Simple Ingredients
- Quick Prep
- Uses Peeled and Deveined Shrimp
- Make for Lunches, Dinner or Snacking
- Versatile in Seasoning The Salad
Here is all you need for this simple salad. The perfect summer dinner when you don’t want something heavy. Hurry and try this easy shrimp salad soon.
Shrimp – Buy pre-cooked shrimp that is peeled and deveined. If you want you can cook up the shrimp, just make sure you allow the shrimp to cool once cooked. If you use raw shrimp make sure to cook it first.
Mayonnaise – You can use mayonnaise, Miracle Whip or even a plain Greek yogurt. This is going to be the creaminess in the sals.
Celery – Finely dice up celery for a nice crunch. The celery also helps balance out flavors in the salad.
Red Onion – Soak your onion slices in a bowl of ice water for 10 minutes and it will help tame down the onion flavor. Allowing it to be milder.
Spicy Mustard – I used horseradish mustard but any spicy mustard. Dijon mustard is great as well.
Lemon – Using lemon juice will balance out the flavors of the shrimp and help with the Mayo based sauce.
Salt, Pepper, – Season your salad to taste to fit your preference.
Dill – Fresh dill, dried, or freeze dried. I used freeze dried to help provide the full flavor to the sauce and it worked perfectly.
How to Make
Full steps and directions are in the printable recipe card. This is a visual walk through on how to make this shrimp salad recipe.
Step One: First you want to peel and devein the shrimp (try this shrimp tool) if you need. Then set the shrimp to the side.
Step Two: Next you will add your mayonnaise, lemon juice, and seasoning in a bowl. Mix well to combine and is a creamy consistency.
Step Three: Now add in the celery, shrimp, and finely diced onion. Mix to incorporate all the ingredients.
Serve right away and enjoy!!
Ways to Eat The Shrimp Salad
- Place in lettuce leaves for lettuce wraps. for a light lunch. Romaine or butter lettuce is a great lettuce for lettuce wraps.
- Serve on crackers. Ritz crackers, saltines, etc.
- Eat it plain.
- Make a sandwich or wrap with tortilla or bread.
If you have leftovers in hand you will want to store your shrimp salad in an airtight container in the fridge. This seafood salad will store for 2-3 days.
As the salad sits you will find more flavor is added to the salad as the flavors blend a bit.
Looking for easy to change up the flavor of this salad. Consider mixing in one or more of these ingredients.
- Hard boiled egg – dice it up
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- Splash of hot sauce
- Swap mayonnaise with Greek plain yogurt to make this even more of a healthy shrimp recipe
- Season with Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and onion powder
- Dice up and top with fresh basil
- Add in a can of drained black beans for fiber
- 1/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of Creole seasoning for a Cajun shrimp salad
- Extra veggies of choice
- Top with green onions
- Add in some lemon zest along with the fresh lemon juice
Try my shrimp avocado salad with chickpeas as well! It is a cold shrimp salad recipe as well made with cold shrimp and fresh ingredients.
- 1 pound small shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice (I used 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dill freeze dried, fresh, or dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a bowl add your mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, dill, and salt and pepper. Mix well until creamy and fully combined.
- Add in your peeled and deveined cold cooked shrimp, red onion, and celery.
- Mix well folding ingredients together. Then serve up this shrimp salad on crackers, lettuce leaves or make sandwiches.