Looking for an easy mini pie recipe to whip up? Try out my mini chocolate pies. Made with semi-sweet chocolate, cocoa powder, heavy cream, instant coffee and more. These mini chocolate tarts are a bite-size dessert.
Table of contents
These baked chocolate pies or call them tarts if you will are incredible. A flaky crust, paired with a rich and creamy chocolate filling.
This is an old fashioned baked chocolate pie! No instant chocolate pudding in a pie shell. This recipe is the ultimate dessert. Transform it into a mini chocolate cream pie with a dollop of whipped cream on top.
I am an Amazon Affiliate, so if you purchase through my link I can earn a commission on sales.
🍫 Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Homemade pie that doesn’t take much to make.
- A homemade chocolate pie that is fudgy and delicious.
- Perfect for bake sales or a weeknight dessert.
- Easy holiday dessert.
- Chocolate flavor in every bite paired with flaky pie crust
🥚 Main Ingredients
- Semi Sweet Chocolate
- Mini Pie Crusts
- Heavy Cream
- Chocolate Chips
- Instant Coffee
🥧 How To Make
Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees Farenheit. Then place out all your mini pie crusts.
In a saucepan on the stove over a medium heat, add in your milk and cream and bring it to a simmer, stirring often to prevent burning. Add in your coffee and whisk.
Then remove from heat, and toss in the semi sweet chocolate along with the chocolate chips. Then add in your sugar and salt and whisk well until the chocolate is fully melted.
In a seperate bowl, add your eggs in and beat. Then slowly stir into the chocolate mixture. Go slow or it can cook your eggs.
Pour the chocolate pie filling into the tart shells and bake for 17-20 minutes or until the filling is set up.
Allow to cool then serve.
Meal Prep And Storage
If you want to meal prep ahead of time and make these pies in advance go right ahead. Just make your pies, allow them to cool then store in the refrigerator.
You can make your pies a day in advance of when you want to serve them up.
In terms of freezing, you can absolutely freeze these pies. Just place in a proper freezer container and store for up to three months. Thaw in the fridge overnight or on the counter for a quick thaw.
💡 Expert Tips
- Don’t skip the Instant Coffee. It brings out a ton of flavor in the pies.
- I was able to find my mini pie crusts in the freezer section at the store.
- You can use one regular pie crust in replace of minis if you want. Then adjust the baking time.
- The pies will be done with the chocolate filling is set up and isn’t jiggly.
🥛 Recipe FAQs
If your pie is runny, it needs to bake longer. Your chocolate pie needs to set up in the center. If it is still soft, you need to bake it longer.
you can add a dollop of whipped cream, chocolate shavings, cocoa powder or more. Or serve up these mini chocolate pies plain if you prefer.
Chocolate pie does not have to be refrigerated. But, it will last longer if you store it in the refrigerator. The pie will last 2-3 days longer when stored in the fridge.
You can freeze these mini chocolate pies. Just place in a freezer container and store for up to three months.
Craving More Pie Recipes
Tried this recipe? Make sure to rate ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and leave a comment to let me know how you like it! Plus get more Instant Pot Recipes or Home Cooked Recipes Facebook Page on my Facebook. Stay up to date and Follow Me On Pinterest!
- Store-bought frozen mini pie crusts (about 15-18 tarts)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon instant coffee
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- ¼ cup of chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees. Then place your mini pie crust on a baking sheet.
- Now in a saucepan you will add your milk and cream and whisk until it is warmed and simmering. Make sure to stir often to prevent burning.
- Add in your coffee and whisk until incorporated. Remove your chocolate pie filling from the heat.
- Now add in your sugar, salt, and both chocolates. Stir until the chocolate is fully melted down.
- In a small bowl add in your room temperature eggs, and whisk well. Then slowly stir them into the pie mixture. They have to be room temperature or they will cook into scrambled eggs.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into your tart shells, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the chocolate filling is fully cooked.
- Place your mini chocolate pies on a cooling rack to cool down. Then serve and enjoy.
Don't skip the Instant Coffee it will add tons of flavor to the pie and bring out the chocolate flavor.
Double the recipe if you would like to make extra pies.
You can make these pies a day in advance of when you plan to serve. Just allow the pies to cool then store in the fridge.
You can freeze these old fashioned mini chocolate pies. Just place in a freezer container and store for up to 3 months.
Top with chocolate shavings, whipped cream or serve them up plain.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.