Coleslaw and macaroni salad collide in this easy and simple macaroni coleslaw salad. The perfect cold salad recipe great for a weeknight dinner, or take to your next potluck or cookout. Zesty and tangy coleslaw dressing, crisp cabbage, and macaroni in each bite. Try this pasta salad with coleslaw!
This coleslaw pasta salad is one that combines two popular summer side dishes into one. A creamy salad great recipe for a family gathering. I whip up this coleslaw macaroni salad and pair it with an easy weeknight meal. It creates a tasty side, with minimal effort. Try my broccoli salad for another side dish.
I do take a quick prep hack and buy a package coleslaw mix , instead of chopping up cabbage and carrots separately. This cabbage salad is versatile in ingredients you can use.
If you want a classic coleslaw I have that as well. Or give my Mexican coleslaw recipe a try as well. Both are an easy recipe and great for summer barbecues. Or try out my three bean salads recipe.
This Salad Recipe Is…
- Cold summer salad recipe
- Great for a weeknight side
- Coleslaw and Macaroni Salad in one
- Easy To Make
- Potluck Friendly
- Make Ahead Side Dish
Head to the grocery store and snag all the ingredients for this delicious recipe. A great cold side dish you can make a day in advance.
- Bag of Coleslaw Mix – So you can cut up your own cabbage and carrots, but it is just as easy to buy bagged cabbage. This has red cabbage and green cabbage mixed in it.
- Macaroni noodles – I used macaroni noodles but any small shells work. Just cook your pasta as directed on the box. Elbow pasta, shells, ditalini pasta, are all great choices.
- Mayonnaise – You are more than welcome to use miracle whip if you prefer. We are a mayo family personally.
- Pepper – You can use a red, yellow, orange or green pepper . Any bell pepper works, I did an orange one for added color.
- Vinegar – I used white distilled vinegar but you are more than welcome to swap in apple cider vinegar if you would prefer.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Granulated Sugar
- Celery Seeds – If you don’t want celery seeds you can dice up celery ribs and toss in the salad.
How to Make
Full steps on how to make this macaroni coleslaw are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a visual walk through for this recipe slaw.
Step One: Cook macaroni pasta as directed on the box. I cooked ours to al dente. Once done drain, and run pasta under cold water to cool it down and stop the cooking process. In a medium size bowl add your mayonnaise, vinegar, celery seed, sugar, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
Step Two: Whisk well to combine the coleslaw dressing. Then you will add in your bagged coleslaw, cooked pasta, and bell pepper.
Step Three: Toss to coat all the ingredients, and then cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. If you find the mixture is too thick, then add a tablespoon of milk to thin it up.
Variations To Recipe
Here are some changes you can make for this delicious side dish.
- Toss in whole water chestnuts if you would like.
- Finely chopped red onion works great.
- Take a medium cucumber and peel and finely chop it up.
- If you don’t want a homemade coleslaw dressing you can buy a creamy dressing for coleslaw. Find it in the produce section.
- For a crunch of sweet, add in some diced apple. A green apple would add a nice tart component.
You can store your pasta coleslaw in the fridge in an airtight container. This cold summer side dish is great for a potluck salad recipe you can make the night before. Or serve it up for dinner next to steaks or even grilled brats.
Here are some common questions for this macaroni slaw recipe. These are questions that could help you making this side dish recipe.
Here are other pasta salad recipes to try out, along with easy side dishes to serve up.
Have you tried the recipe? If so, please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below or drop a comment. Also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Facebook, Pinterest, or My Facebook Group!
Coleslaw Macaroni Salad
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 small bell pepper diced
- 1 bag colesalw mix 8 ounce bag
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk optional
- 2 cups elbow macaroni dry
- Start by cooking your 2 cups of dry pasta as directed on the package. Make sure to salt the water once you add in the pasta. Once the pasta is done, drain, and then run pasta under cold water to cool down the pasta.
- In a large bowl add your mayonnaise, salt, pepper, celery seed, lemon juice, and granulated sugar. Whisk well to combine. If you want to add in milk to make creamier add it in now.
- Pour in the coleslaw mix of the cabbage and carrots, followed by the cooked and cooled pasta, and diced bell pepper.
- Stir up the cold macaroni coleslaw salad and then cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.